Disability ratings Handicaching link

Dear fellow GC. Being disabled myself I find some GC are not adequately rated for wheelchair / mobility scooter accessibility: both ways. Some I missed out on my husband said I could have gone along but would have needed help to retrieve the cache. My aim is to promote the site my friend Wendy introduced me to. So far, CO have changed descriptions eg w/c friendly to last 10m, may need help to retrieve cache.

This is great and makes a huge difference to me. It means I can enjoy many more GC trails and hides. I have also emailed CO prior to setting out to check on suitability. For those who have not heard of it, you can log on to handicachig.com and review your own and other GC in far more detail, so easy to use too.

Please can you give positive feedback on your ideas of this above and following post idea? Please keep it supportive and positive to help more disabled people to get out and about GC.

You can see more detailed info on my profile page.

Is it possible to link the handicaching.com (HC) site with geocaching.com (GC) so that we could log in with our GC username and have a button that we could press to say 'review this cache with handicaching.com' please? This could also be there when we are logging a cache we have visited, found, DNF...

Also when CO set up their own GC, there could be a button or link for them to add a HC rating to it, tho not essential.

This link would then take us directly to the HC site with the GC code already entered in.

Alternatively, could you make it possible for us to be able to copy and paste the GC code on GC.com site? At the moment, it just copies a link which does not even include the GC code. For example, here is a copy of the GC code I tried to paste for a GC I set:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=405f9148-b2ce-4dee-a2a6-7c0197f943d6#

This would br a great opportunity for all involved to help provide more accurate details for disabled people / children alike.

I love GC as it helps me to set small achievable goals that with more accurate info can more easily be achieved.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your sensitive replies.

Yours faithfully

Cache on Wheels

Thanks so much for that valuable information, I had no idea that site existed. I work with persons with various disabilities and we do have a group of cachers amoungst them, some of which have mobility issues. I think this is a great idea and I agree, there should be the option included directly with each new cache placed to select WC in the Attributes.

I hope Groundspeak will step up to the plate and include it as a regular Attribute choice.

Happy Cacheing~ :)

I just used that site to rate 2 of my caches... thanks again~

Edited by 90%Angel

Cache on Wheels: I was so glad to see your post. I thought some of our caches might be handicap accessible but I could never figure out how to put that information on the description page, since I wasn't sure if the cacher would need help to grab the container. This rating system and link makes it so much easier!

I've now Handicache rated seven of our 32 caches, which are all in the northern Virginia area. Can you check to see if you can see the necessary info. on the pages? Please try looking up GCYFYV (Meet me at the Corner) and see if it's working. I added notes to the Handicache pages to say if the handicacher will need some help, since I realize some may have limited mobility in their arms.

Hopefully, someone in our locality will be able to use this information to enjoy a day of caching! I was glad to see that you are able to enjoy this hobby with your family! :D

Hi to the VanDucks

I have clicked on the link and it does work, it brings up all the details too! Thank you and well done. I was unsure too with copy and pasting the link, I couldn't believe it would be that easy, but it is.

You could join me in being a handicaching evangelist and help spread the word. Why not put a bit about OT on your profile page too. Have a look on my profile page - I am happy for you to copy and paste any relevant info to this for your profile page.

Thank you

Handicaching.com is a great site that hasn't caught on as well as I expected it to. Getting the able-bodied to consider the disabled in their listings will certainly help. Getting Groundspeak Volunteer Cache Reviewers to require that the cache rating of 1/1 be reserved for wheelchair accessible caches would help even more, but I don't hold out much hope of that happening.

One thing that you can do is use the linking code at http://handicaching.com/linking.php to put links to HandiCaching.com in forum posts, listing pages and logs... anywhere that you can to help get the word out!

The Online Geocacher Magazine is always looking for geocacher's stories and we would love to have articles submitted by handicapped cachers to help raise awareness. If someone wanted to write a regular column on disabled caching that would be wonderful!

We like the Handicaching rating idea but so far we have only rated one of our caches this way, GC1TDBH. We've also added their seal so it stands out from the page. I would like to see more cachers with various disabilities add their thoughts when the topic of ratings & icons comes up. That way the talk can go from those that say "I think" and "I believe" to those that can say "I know" and "here's what I can (or can not) do".

Tobias

90 angel: thank you for your thoughts, together we will help spread the word. I am so pleased that the info has been beneficial to you.

I would live to hear back from people of how extra info from this site has helped with GC too.

You could join me in being a handicaching evangelist and help spread the word. Why not put a bit about OT on your profile page too. Have a look on my profile page - I am happy for you to copy and paste any relevant info to this for your profile page.

We like the Handicaching rating idea but so far we have only rated one of our caches this way, GC1TDBH. We've also added their seal so it stands out from the page. I would like to see more cachers with various disabilities add their thoughts when the topic of ratings & icons comes up. That way the talk can go from those that say "I think" and "I believe" to those that can say "I know" and "here's what I can (or can not) do".

Tobias

The problem with HandiCache ratings is that every disabled cacher has different capabilities. I lost a leg in '99, can't use a prosthesis, and broke my neck in '03, so I mostly cache on crutches. When I do use my wheelchair I can go places most wheelchair-bound folks can't. Even if I use my chair to get to the cache I can stand to reach it. My problem then is to evaluate whether someone else can do those things or do I rate it for the lowest common denominator; someone in a chair who cannot hop curbs or stand up? For that reason I have shied away from rating caches on Handicaching.com... I simply don't know how to go about giving a meaningful rating. That and the fact that I've found thousands of caches in 26 states and can probably count the number of truly accessible caches at less than 100 (excluding LPCs).

Thanks so much for that valuable information, I had no idea that site existed. I work with persons with various disabilities and we do have a group of cachers amoungst them, some of which have mobility issues. I think this is a great idea and I agree, there should be the option included directly with each new cache placed to select WC in the Attributes.

I hope Groundspeak will step up to the plate and include it as a regular Attribute choice.

Happy Cacheing~ :)

I just used that site to rate 2 of my caches... thanks again~

There is a Wheelchair Accessible attribute. http://www.geocachin...bout/icons.aspx

Getting folks to consider and use it is the problem.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Getting Groundspeak Volunteer Cache Reviewers to require that the cache rating of 1/1 be reserved for wheelchair accessible caches would help even more, but I don't hold out much hope of that happening.

I disagree with that idea. I've had this talk with others, and to do that (IMHO) is the same thing as saying that those in a wheelchair can only do the easiest of the hides. I have known some non-cachers that could take their powered wheelchair "off road" through grass, soft sand, mud and one time a very rough and uneven feild. If they were to become cachers they would be finding hides from 1/1 to 2/2.

Here is a link to a site that shows what someone in a wheelchair can do.

Getting Groundspeak Volunteer Cache Reviewers to require that the cache rating of 1/1 be reserved for wheelchair accessible caches would help even more, but I don't hold out much hope of that happening.

I disagree with that idea. I've had this talk with others, and to do that (IMHO) is the same thing as saying that those in a wheelchair can only do the easiest of the hides. I have known some non-cachers that could take their powered wheelchair "off road" through grass, soft sand, mud and one time a very rough and uneven feild. If they were to become cachers they would be finding hides from 1/1 to 2/2.

Here is a link to a site that shows what someone in a wheelchair can do.

I'm not clear on how a 1/1 Wheelchair Accessible rating would be interpreted as being the only rating a cacher could do. To me that's like saying accessible buildings are the only buildings the handicapped can enter. I don't see anyone making that interpretation.

Having been in a chair since '99 I am fairly familiar with what exceptional people can do.

My profile should give you an idea of what I can do from a chair... plus I am an avid outdoorsman, camper, fisherman and hunter (two turkeys and four whitetail deer so far this season).

And that's the crux of the problem. I know what I can do but have no idea what you can do, thus how do I rate a cache in a way that is meaningful for you? And it's not just ability, the rating has to consider dedication. I'm willing to drop out of my chair to the ground and scoot up muddy hills on my fanny to get to a cache. I have no clue whether anyone else would do that, so how do I rate it? 'Accessible if you are willing to crawl'?

Handicaching.com is a great site that hasn't caught on as well as I expected it to. Getting the able-bodied to consider the disabled in their listings will certainly help. Getting Groundspeak Volunteer Cache Reviewers to require that the cache rating of 1/1 be reserved for wheelchair accessible caches would help even more, but I don't hold out much hope of that happening.

I know some reviewers who insist that T=1* caches are wheelchair accessible in the sense that they do not allow for having a wheelchair attribute and a T=1.5* rating at the same time.

The real problem is however what you mention yourself in another posting. The abilities of people in a wheelchair and also the abilities of various handicapped people are so different that it really becomes difficult to rate a cache reasonably. I am not bound to a wheelchair, but I have troubles with one knee (sometimes both) and one ancle. I try to use the terrain ratings to judge for what caches I can go on a good or bad day and quite often I come across caches that are rated as 1* where I have to give up despite a lot of dedication. It even could mean to climb up somewhere or do down a few meters a very steep slope where there is no reasonable way to stop in the middle.

I have been familiar with the handicaching site. In principle, it is a good idea, but it is hardly used even in countries where more awareness for handicapped people and more handicapped cachers exist than in my area. If many cachers are not even willing to take care which caches they rate as 1*, they will not be willing to invest much more time to provide further ratings at another site.

Moreover, I think that too many questions need to be asked to provide a valuable tool for everyone.

handicaching is asking too many and too few questions at the same time.

One issue that often comes up in rating the suitability of caches for people with various sorts of handicaps is that some have cachers in mind that cache alone and others have cachers in mind that are accompanied. There are many caches where my troubles arise only at the last 2m and the ratings do not consider this as many cachers are caching in teams. My interest is which caches I am able to retrieve without help and not for which caches I can arrive close to GZ on my own.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

And that's the crux of the problem. I know what I can do but have no idea what you can do, thus how do I rate a cache in a way that is meaningful for you?

The simple answer is you can't. The only thing we can do is to rate the Terrain for what it is and let the cacher decide for themselves if they can do it.

As I understand it, the rating system that we use today came from the forums. What could be done is for some of us to start adding another small section to their listing. Here is something just off the top of my head...

Ground Surface - Hard dirt with small pebbles.

Ground Slope - 90% of it is level with a few easy short hills.

Obstructions in route - None within 5 feet of trail.

Obstructions near GZ - Small trees and a few large rocks.

Weather Considerations - If it rains, a 1-2 inch puddle will form on parts of the trail.

Light Considerations - Nothing special.

I'm sure someone could come up with something better, but it's a thought.

Way back, I suggested that adding a third rating might be a good idea. We have Difficulty and Terrain now, but adding another for Accessibility (same 1 to 5) with clear definitions of the levels would be a big help. Trying to do that with T ratings is not useful.

T1 is intended to refer to a mostly level, firm surface that should be usable by people who have difficulty getting around for any reason. The WC attribute is what shows suitability for chair use. I look after one cache that I've only been able to 'test' from a conventional type chair, and that can be done, but I won't get it the WC attribute until I get it tested by someone in a chair.

Meanwhile we tell people that the T1 hints that it should be at least possible that way as a hint for all to use in finding it.

I've done my best to keep it at least visible to a WC rider, but they might want help of some sort to grab and replace it.

I don't know how to actually rate it either, but at least it is in the realm of possibility now. I also don't control the page since I only maintain it... the owner offered to bump up the T rating, but the current location doesn't really require that. The sad part is that I've had NO input from anyone in a WC at all, good or bad. I suspect that locally there just aren't any that cache.. yet.

Doug 7rxc

We have Difficulty and Terrain now, but adding another for Accessibility (same 1 to 5) with clear definitions of the levels would be a big help. Trying to do that with T ratings is not useful.

I like this idea. An Accessibility Rating will at least help COs become aware of mobility issues.

It would be nice if GS would allow finders to rate the Terrain (and AC if it were implemented). So many are underrated for terrain.

We have Difficulty and Terrain now, but adding another for Accessibility (same 1 to 5) with clear definitions of the levels would be a big help. Trying to do that with T ratings is not useful.

I like this idea. An Accessibility Rating will at least help COs become aware of mobility issues.

It would be nice if GS would allow finders to rate the Terrain (and AC if it were implemented). So many are underrated for terrain.

I always thought it would be nice if there was some option for terrain where finders could put what they thought it was. The owners terrain rating could still stand but I would appreciate that extra bit of information since I often cache with someone with mobility issues.

The good thing here is that there already IS a site that allows us to rate the GC and add comments.

Everyone is different so it's always good to add a comment.

I am not suggesting that GS change the rating system, they already have the wheelchair attribute too: that's great!

By one reading from the handicachig rating (HC) one can see for themselves what they may be able to achieve.

My main thought is I would like Groundspeak (GS) to link up with HC so when people set or visit a GC, there is a button to give you the option to review the GC via HC.

We can always add quick comments on terrain.. When we log the cache.

If you look at my GC that I set it gives quite a good all round description along with the rating I believe which would help people with most types of disabilities:

Handicaching rating for my    GC The Square GC38AZQ in Puddletown, UK

There is ample suitable parking for wheelchair accessible vehicles (WAV's) at the coordinates. 

I understand that disabilities can vary from moment to moment and not just from day to day.

All the information you need is easily accessible if you are in a wheelchair or on a scooter.

I too am disabled and I find it difficult to concentrate myself due to my own disabilities. Many multi caches or puzzle caches are beyond me, so I have set this GC with this in mind, therefore  working out the coordinates for the GZ  from the clues is fairly easy for anyone making it also a good one for children.

You may need help to retrieve the cache depending on your abilities at that moment. I can achieve this GC using my scooter up until the last few meters at the GZ, then by using my crutches. Depending how i feel at that moment, i would sometimes need help to retrieve the cache, given the height it is at. 

Please let me know how you get on and if this info has been helpful.

Happy Caching

Heather B aka Cache on Wheels

Cache Owner

And that's the crux of the problem. I know what I can do but have no idea what you can do, thus how do I rate a cache in a way that is meaningful for you?

The simple answer is you can't. The only thing we can do is to rate the Terrain for what it is and let the cacher decide for themselves if they can do it.

As I understand it, the rating system that we use today came from the forums. What could be done is for some of us to start adding another small section to their listing. Here is something just off the top of my head...

Ground Surface - Hard dirt with small pebbles.

Ground Slope - 90% of it is level with a few easy short hills.

Obstructions in route - None within 5 feet of trail.

Obstructions near GZ - Small trees and a few large rocks.

Weather Considerations - If it rains, a 1-2 inch puddle will form on parts of the trail.

Light Considerations - Nothing special.

I'm sure someone could come up with something better, but it's a thought.

That is just what I have added in the description, all those headings such as ground surface, gradient, distance to cache, obstruction... Are on the ratings part of the HC review with drop down list of options on each one. Have a look at my GC the square to see what I mean.

There are some great comments so far - thank you to everyone.

I have invited a friend of mine to join Tge conversation who is a reviewer and also my friend who introduced me to HC, so it will give us some more feedback from their experiences too.

Try rating a cache you have been to that you could get a scooter or wheelchair round. Sone comments may include: suitable for wheelchairs and scooters, however, if you do not have a powered W/C, it may be tough on the atendant who is pushing due to some slopes.

:)

I love this idea! Thank you.

A few months ago I placed my first cache and the reviewer suggested I consider whether the wheelchair accessible attribute was appropriate. The cache is actually quite accessible in every way except the cache height. My question at the time was: do I use the attribute or not? To be "safe" I did not include the attribute to start, but now that I am aware of your site, I rated the cache, added a link to the rating, and changed the attribute.

I am glad this service is being made available. Hopefully it will catch on.

[edit]

On further thought, I do wish Groundspeak would clarify what it means to have a wheelchair accessible cache. I suspect a lot of people don't use the attribute because they don't know what it means and therefore would rather avoid having to think about it. Or perhaps like me they rate it not accessible when they are not sure if it is accessible in order to be "safe".

Edited by Gravitysmith

That is just what I have added in the description, all those headings such as ground surface, gradient, distance to cache, obstruction... Are on the ratings part of the HC review with drop down list of options on each one. Have a look at my GC the square to see what I mean.

Probably you better had copied your information into this thread as not everyone can look at your cache description.

Cezanne

Good thinking, thank you. Here is my handicaching rating for my GC. Handicaching rating for my    GC The Square GC38AZQ in Puddletown, UK

There is ample suitable parking for wheelchair accessible vehicles (WAV's) at the coordinates. 

I understand that disabilities can vary from moment to moment and not just from day to day.

All the information you need is easily accessible if you are in a wheelchair or on a scooter.

I too am disabled and I find it difficult to concentrate myself due to my own disabilities. Many multi caches or puzzle caches are beyond me, so I have set this GC with this in mind, therefore  working out the coordinates for the GZ  from the clues is fairly easy for anyone making it also a good one for children.

You may need help to retrieve the cache depending on your abilities at that moment. I can achieve this GC using my scooter up until the last few meters at the GZ, then by using my crutches. Depending how i feel at that moment, i would sometimes need help to retrieve the cache, given the height it is at. 

Please let me know how you get on and if this info has been helpful.

Happy Caching

Heather B aka Cache on Wheels

Cache Owner

I have invited a friend of mine to join Tge conversation who is a reviewer and also my friend who introduced me to HC, so it will give us some more feedback from their experiences too.

Try rating a cache you have been to that you could get a scooter or wheelchair round. Sone comments may include: suitable for wheelchairs and scooters, however, if you do not have a powered W/C, it may be tough on the atendant who is pushing due to some slopes.

The suggestion I have made re the issue of able-bodied being able to rate a cache for wheelchair access is to rate it for the lowest common denominator.

Most folks are familiar with an office chair on wheels. I tell them that if they can roll it to the cache and find it without getting out of the chair then it is wheelchair accessible. Obviously that's not a great analogy but it does give folks an idea of what a person in a wheelchair can reach.

A few months ago I placed my first cache and the reviewer suggested I consider whether the wheelchair accessible attribute was appropriate. The cache is actually quite accessible in every way except the cache height. My question at the time was: do I use the attribute or not? To be "safe" I did not include the attribute to start, but now that I am aware of your site, I rated the cache, added a link to the rating, and changed the attribute.

[edit]

On further thought, I do wish Groundspeak would clarify what it means to have a wheelchair accessible cache. I suspect a lot of people don't use the attribute because they don't know what it means and therefore would rather avoid having to think about it. Or perhaps like me they rate it not accessible when they are not sure if it is accessible in order to be "safe".

It can be a tough decision. I have a fair amount of caches that I think a person in a wheelchair can do, but since the cache is at ground level, I don't know if it should be rated a 1 or a 1.5 star.

If you aren't sure about putting the handicap attribute on your cache page, then it should be rated a 1.5.

If you are upfront in the description about why it's rated a 1.5 instead of a 1, then handicapped people can read through that and make their own decision. It just depends on how much you want to reveal in the description.

The suggestion I have made re the issue of able-bodied being able to rate a cache for wheelchair access is to rate it for the lowest common denominator.

Most folks are familiar with an office chair on wheels. I tell them that if they can roll it to the cache and find it without getting out of the chair then it is wheelchair accessible. Obviously that's not a great analogy but it does give folks an idea of what a person in a wheelchair can reach.

Thats how I rate, most the time I rate my caches from 2 and up. Terran one is for people that get their wheelchair on their own power to the cache site and able to get the cache without getting out of the chair or having risk of falling out.(some might have a tool to get the cache but they arent perfect) One and half is the same but they are ABLE to get out of the chair and search a bit. Terran 2 is a flat area like a path to the cache. Terran two and half what most able-body can do. I think of worse case scenario when I am rating my caches. most people dont know what its like until they are landed in a wheelchair. I never been in a wheelchair myself but I know what they can do or cant do in general term. Each individual is different and I keep that in mind.

Still isn't quite clear as to when we could put a handicap accessable attribute on our cache pages. IE: our cache GC2RM4Q computes to a Handicache rating of H11111. Should we use the attribute on that one?

To further refine the question what range on the ratings should be used to determine when to set the attribute?

Which attribute... the WC attribute is an indication that the terrain and cache itself is reachable by someone in a hypothetical Wheelchair. I don't see one for walkers, crutches etc. or even seeing eye dogs and other service dogs.

That's the real problem isn't it? There are many forms of handicap out there and many ranges within those handicap.

Like TAR says, many people with disabilities CAN and DO get around to places that mere mortals simply imagine they could never get to.

Having a site that they can get more information on a cache, or adding a bit more to GC site would be useful. As I get older, I find that while walking and such are fine, I'm getting to have distinct problems with kneeling and then getting up again, same for holding on to things, or just getting back spasms. I don't consider myself as having a disability and neither does the government here ( I tried). I DO consider that I'm having to set a few more limits to just what I do, but not many! Years back I spent a period in a chair following surgery, not long, but I did get a wake up call on the reality of that, also to things like crutches and walkers. Changed my whole way of looking at people and the environment. That is what this is all about isn't it?

Simply giving information and considering that cachers come in all forms possible. The D?/T1 WCA rating is more to entice people out there to help them define their capabilities, right?

Doug 7rxc

Every issue has extremes. In this case you have on one end of the scale cachers with almost no capabilities and on the other you have folks who are slightly disabled.

You can't rate anything for everyone's specific abilities.

In between those extremes is a middle ground. For a rating to mean anything it should address the middle, and each cacher can determine their distance from that middle ground.

I am going to propose that most folks in a wheelchair can handle gentle slopes, dry dirt and hard-packed gravel, and impediments such as an 8" curb or ditch. I would further propose that most folks in a chair can reach the ground and can reach up to five feet.

Folks who cannot do those basic things will probably not be caching alone.

Common sense will then enable any able-bodied cacher to determine the degree of slope one thinks a wheelchair can negotiate, could a chair bump over that impediment and so forth.

That gives you an easy-to-explain way to rate the cache's accessibility that anybody can evaluate. When you try to get it more granular you get into each person's abilities, and there's just no way to rate that.

Soft or Muddy ground? No

Gentle slope? Yes

Extreme slope? No

Curb, ditch or other barrier less than 8"? Yes

Cache located 5' or less off ground? Yes

If the overall cache hunt experience matches those basic answers use the 1 Terrain rating and the WC Attribute. If not then give it a 1.5 or above Terrain rating.

[edit]

It can be a tough decision. I have a fair amount of caches that I think a person in a wheelchair can do, but since the cache is at ground level, I don't know if it should be rated a 1 or a 1.5 star.

If you aren't sure about putting the handicap attribute on your cache page, then it should be rated a 1.5.

If you are upfront in the description about why it's rated a 1.5 instead of a 1, then handicapped people can read through that and make their own decision. It just depends on how much you want to reveal in the description.

I think one thing you could write is:

The route from parking is wheelchair accessible up until the last 10meters at Tge GZ. Depending on your abilities at that moment eg if you can also use crutches, bend down, reach up... You may need help to retrieve the GC. However, if you have any further questions, please feel free to message me.

I wonder if that may be something you would consider writing. If you handicache rate a GC, There is also space to add a description, just as I did as well as using the drop down boxes.

Hope that helps

Heather aka Cache on Wheels.

Have you had a look at my bookmark lists on my profile page? See if you can see them as I am a premium member. I have a few bookmark lists such as:

Wheelchair friendly

Wheelchair plus helper

Wheelchair plus crutches - no slopes

The above plus helper.

I think theain thing like someone else mentioned, is to put 1/1..5 but also add in your description why you have rated it so. In my eyes, rating it W/C attribute is saying you can get a wheelchair round the route. You can add that depending on your abilities, you may need a helper to retrieve Tge cache due to: a- height it's at, b- you can't get W/C right up to the GZ etc. That's why I think it's good to handicache rate and GC you visit or set up. If you don't want to rate it, just add the info on the GC profile page.

Thank you for your input.

Heather

I wonder about grass? How hard is it to cross on a wheelchair by yourself? I've used a wheelchair an ok amount, but never on grass.

Hi there

Re grass

If it is short grass and fairly flat, then my mobility scooter and my friends wheelchair with her cool trike wheel adaption that turns her wheelchair into a powered kinda trike would have no problem. Such as a football field. Just think about pushing a buggy along it.

If it is unkept grass like a farmers field,, you may consider ground clearance for scooters.

You can always add photos to your GC profile page of terrains you are unsure are suitable and them the individual can decide.

I think the important message is to make sure people know you are happy to answer questions if they have the via message service.

A cache I visited on Monday, had a small area of say 10m that had a muddy puddle in the way and to go round it was really uneven, so as I can also stand and walk with crutches, my husband wheeled my scooter through the short rough terrain, then helped me through after.

I so pleased at all the response this post is getting. I have had a few people contact me to say they have erased their caches and added extra information to their profile pages for their GC.

Some have handicache rated their own and some they have visited.

One friend that saw my post has asked me to go out and check out her newly set cache to rate it with het.

This is all very positive indeed. Thank you, keep your comments and questions coming.

I know it is difficult as so many people have different limitations and good and bad moments throughout the day.

But by putting things like: you may need help to retrieve the GC due to the height it is at, feel free to contact me if you want further info... Is good. That way it doesn't give it away to everyone and also if you reply that it's on the floor or chest height, the individual will know if they can reach it.

Personally I never cache on my own, but many people with disabilities do.

Have look when you are out next GC and take a note book with you to record the terrains.. You will be surprised at what you notice when your eyes are open to looking out for these things.

I used to be extremely fit and active so it is something I have had to get used to over the years, so I know it is not easy.

Maybe you know someone who is in a wheelchair or who needs to use one when out for a walk, why not think about inviting them out with you, ask their opinions.

We are all learning from each other and that is fantastic.

Thank you

Heather

Heather, as someone who works every day with people with "disabilities" I applaud your personal effort to stay active with geocaching. I only wish everyone had your attitude. I always use the w/c accessible attribute, whether it is a YES or NO on my caches. I did go demonstrate caching to some students and professionals at a conference in Indianapolis this past fall. One of the students was using a power scooter. I just laughed when he took it off road (at a rather high speed) to get to GZ at one location, hahaha!

So regularly maintained park grass should be fine.

I would say definitely yes to that. A good thing to do is ask at your local church if they know someone who could do with some help getting out and about occasionally and take them for a walk GC. That way you are helping someone who may not get out much as well as learning more at the same time.

I think after this thread there should be one sharing stories on disabled cachers stories. My friend is in a wheelchair and age has been able to retrieve some GC on her bum.

look up DorsetGal and Geodog.

Still isn't quite clear as to when we could put a handicap accessable attribute on our cache pages. IE: our cache GC2RM4Q computes to a Handicache rating of H11111. Should we use the attribute on that one?

To further refine the question what range on the ratings should be used to determine when to set the attribute?

Hi there

I would say that if you could push a wheelchair around or to the GZ, but the w/c user may need help to retrieve the cache: I would put the above info AND put the W/C attribute on it. You could still put s 1.5 and if you are questioned about putting the 2 together eg the w/c attribute and a 1.5, you could say it's because they MAY need help to retrieve the GC.

I am not a reviewer and am only going by what I as a disabled person would like to see.

This way, I would know that I could still go along for the trip out, enjoy the hunt, I could still help work out clued. If I couldn't physically get to the info, my helper takes photos of it for me so I can help work the clues out too.

We have been to many GC like this that did not have Tge w/c attribute. if my hubby didn't have local knowledge of certain areas I would have missed out on.

I think it is good to help educate eachothers and keep lines of communication open with reviewers and GS.

Thank you for your input

Heather

THANK YOU TO Groundspeak

If you recall in my opening proposal for this forum, one of the things I asked Groundspeak if they could do was to make it possible for the GC code to be available in the link info upon clicking on the code at the top right of each GC profile page. This would make it easier to copy and paste the Gc code into the box provided on the handicaching.com page when you want to review either your own cache or one you have visited.

Groundspeak have now done this.

When you click on the GC code at the right of a GC profile page, you now get the following:

http://coord.info/GC2XX09

This link is for my husbands GC Hardye Way 1.

If you enter GC2XX09 and search it, you should see a note by me with code written in blue underneath. Click on it to see the handicaching review I wrote, there should be 2 reviews on it now so you should also see a previous review I wrote on it.

When you review a cache, I would Recomend you write a note to the cache owner and ask them to click on the link, if they like it, ask them if they could copy and paste the link that comes up on the handicaching review into their profile page at the end of the description. I have asked my husband to do this too. When it is done, I will post Tge GC code again so you can see what it looks like.

Thanks again Groundspeak!!

Heather

Edited by Cache on Wheels

Dear fellow GC. Being disabled myself I find some GC are not adequately rated for wheelchair / mobility scooter accessibility: both ways. Some I missed out on my husband said I could have gone along but would have needed help to retrieve the cache. My aim is to promote the site my friend Wendy introduced me to. So far, CO have changed descriptions eg w/c friendly to last 10m, may need help to retrieve cache.

This is great and makes a huge difference to me. It means I can enjoy many more GC trails and hides. I have also emailed CO prior to setting out to check on suitability. For those who have not heard of it, you can log on to handicachig.com and review your own and other GC in far more detail, so easy to use too.

Please can you give positive feedback on your ideas of this above and following post idea? Please keep it supportive and positive to help more disabled people to get out and about GC.

You can see more detailed info on my profile page.

I use the wheelchair attribute if the cache is on flat ground and can be retrieved from a seated position.

Are you familiar with handicaching.com???

Do you know if it is possible to edit a previous review tgat you submitted?

It would be great if you could so only 1 review would have shown up for Hardye way 1 GC2XX09 instead of me having to write a second review.

Many thanks

Heather

I just found this site. After reading up on it a little bit, I realized that my terrain 1.5 rating may be easy for non-mobility disabled individuals, but very hard for those that are. I went back and rated all of my 1.5 rated caches and included the handicaching.com rating system with a link from the cache listing. I hope that it helps :) I think that this is a great attribute and I will continue to use it.

I know Groundspeak already have the check list for the cache owner to rate the cache they are setting, and the items to select on handicaching.com are more descriptive.

Should Groundspeak be looking at intergrating these options into rating the caches as essential by cache owners when setting caches or pairing up with handicaching.com?

I read a comment somewhere on here but can't find it about a problem with linking with handicaching due to bandwidth???

What are Groundspeak willing to do to help provide more info on caches for disabled Cachers please? eg a more detailed description of the terrain as is already set out on handicaching.com that cache owners must select one option from each catagory when setting out a cache.

I personally and it appears all previous comments have no problem with clicking on the link to handicaching from the cache page for more detailed info, just as you would click on the hint button.

However, I am aware that some feel that having to move to another site for this extra info causes a divide.

Heather, I heard you on one of the recent UK Geocaching podcasts. As I have occasional balance problems myself due to a benign brain tumour, so I was particularly interested to hear about 'handicaching'. I have now rated all of my caches and linked to them on my cache listing on GC.com. I think it's wonderful idea and must be a good resource for you, when a cache has been rated on it. I'd urge fellow CO's to use the site, as it helps cacher with differing levels of mobility enjoy the activity and know which caches they are likely to be able to search for before they head out, rather than get to the area in which there's a cache and be disappointed it's not going top be on which they can have a go at. When time permits, I'll try to rate some of those which I've visited.