BM on Panther Mountain, Harriman

woodstrider

Last weekend I was hiking on the SBM in Harriman SP looking for geocaches and minding my own business when I came across a strange and unexpected BM on Panther Mountain. I found the geocache and this BM was an added bonus. I don't see it in the current NGS data sheets.

It is a standard type bronze disk cemented into the bedrock of the highest point of the mountain and along the SBM Trail (or maybe a few feet east of the trail) and at a viewpoint. The disk has two names, the first one is unclear to me the second is H.L.Whitehead, and Monsey New York stamped around the rim and an incised cross in the middle.

What say you in the BM hunting community? A property monument?

Last weekend I was hiking on the SBM in Harriman SP looking for geocaches and minding my own business when I came across a strange and unexpected BM on Panther Mountain. I found the geocache and this BM was an added bonus. I don't see it in the current NGS data sheets.

It is a standard type bronze disk cemented into the bedrock of the highest point of the mountain and along the SBM Trail (or maybe a few feet east of the trail) and at a viewpoint. The disk has two names, the first one is unclear to me the second is H.L.Whitehead, and Monsey New York stamped around the rim and an incised cross in the middle.

What say you in the BM hunting community? A property monument?

I would list it on the Waymarking site under the Benchmark category. I've found quite a few that are not listed.

You don't tell us much, like where you are and what else was on the disk.

Google indicates your trail is in New York state. A search of the professional licenses in NY finds a surveyor by that name who is no longer active:

Name : WHITEHEAD HERBERT LEROY

Profession : LAND SURVEYING

License No: 010766

Date of Licensure : 07/09/30

I can't guess whether this was a land survey or geodetic survey marker, as he might have used his monument cap for either.