GPS testing near Chesapeak Bay.

skyraider

I just recieved the following notice from the FAA about unreliable GPS signal due to some testing they are going to do later this month. Looks like it will effect the Northern part of Chesapeak Bay. This may be the best excuse for a DNF that I have ever seen!!!!:

FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education

GPS Testing January 16, 2012 – January 24, 2012 Patuxent River, MD.

Notice Number: NOTC3454

GPS Testing PAXR GPS 12-01

January 16, 2012 – January 24, 2012

Patuxent River, MD.

See attached document for more details.

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2012/Jan/PAX12-01_GPS_Flight_Advisory.pdf

I just recieved the following notice from the FAA about unreliable GPS signal due to some testing they are going to do later this month. Looks like it will effect the Northern part of Chesapeak Bay. This may be the best excuse for a DNF that I have ever seen!!!!:

Patuxent River, MD.

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2012/Jan/PAX12-01_GPS_Flight_Advisory.pdf

Not to be picky but Pax River would not be this old sailor's definition of the northern part of the Bay. Central maybe...

Glad it's too cold o be out there.

Patuxent River, MD.

Not to be picky but Pax River would not be this old sailor's definition of the northern part of the Bay. Central maybe...

Glad it's too cold o be out there.

It is in the central area. Seems to be centered around the Lexington Park/Hermanville area.

Edited by skyraider

The testing NOTAM states "During testing, the GPS signal may be unreliable or unavailable within a 15NMR centered

at 381542N/0762602W or the PXT VOR 225.3 degree radial at 2.2 NM from 4,000 FT

AGL to FL400 and above, and a radius of 17NM at 50 FT AGL." (Bold applied by me)

If this is correct, geocachers with their feet on the ground should be unaffected. The signal may be unreliable or unavailable at 50 feet above ground level in one case and above 4,000 feet above ground level in the other.