ruining the fun...

RobiNeil

You can all go ahead and flame me, because I know I won't have any sympathisers with this post, but I need to get it off my chest...

We've come across some particularly nasty people in this sport in the couple months we've been doing it. A month ago we bought a 4-pack of travel bugs and sent them on their way. 2 are making their way around the country. But 1 disappeared right off the bat, and another was placed totally off course by a person who called it (travel bug) "incredibly lame" and then ruined the token we had connected to it.

Another problem occurred when a person, who is so far involved in this sport that he's lost touch with reality and has created a "mystique" by not ever getting in touch with any other geocachers, decided to kidnap a friend's travel bug and steal our caches.

The sad thing is we've done nothing to incur the wrath of these people. Completely random acts of hostility. It's totally soured my view of the sport, and it is a shame.

You can go ahead and call me too sensitive, or a complainer. But it just blows me away that people can turn a fun, interesting game and use it as a forum for their anti-social behaviors. What a crappy way to live... sorry for the rant. I'm done...

- Neil

You sound angry and disappointed.

I know how you feel. I had some similar experiences lately.

Everything I have ever been involved with has had its good element and its bad element. Since I have been geocaching I have found that 99.91% of the folks are great and about 0.09% are social deviants.

If you are certain about your claims, then take them to the geocaching.com volunteer staff. They can do some really magical things to remove the bad elements.

If you want more detail, e-mail me through the site, maybe I can help or at least give you an ear. Stay the course, geocaching is great fun, the as**oles usually get tired and drop away after a while.

Since my masochistic baby left me, I got nothing to whip but the cream.

quote:
Originally posted by RobiNeil:

You can all go ahead and flame me, because I know I won't have any sympathisers with this post, but I need to get it off my chest...

- Neil

Anyone who would flame you for speaking up like this would be a lamer, or one of the troublemakers.

I myself have only been caching a few months, but I have found that 99% of the folks are great and good people. Just like anything in the world, there will be lamers and jerks. Sorry you seem to have found a few of them so close to home.

I just had my first cache plundered, no fun. Looks to have been holloween hooligans who found it and trashed it. At least it does not appear to have been by another cacher, though as you found out it can happen.

All I can do is offer my best wishes and support and hope you continue to cache and enjoy the game.

66427_2400.gif

Just ran into one of the people RobiNeil was complaining about. This cacher visited my caches and then wrote step by step directions to each in the logs. You can find them without even using a GPS now. Should I delete these logs? This is the same person who made a point of taking travel bugs, including one of RobiNeil's way out of its way. Even bragged about it in the log. Very spitefull.

Really, I wasn't expecting support. The last time myself and the friend who's TB was hijacked posted about that particular problem, we were pretty much put down for it. It's nice to know that you have had many good experiences. I guess we just ran into a streak of bad luck. I'm not going to pick out the people who have been a pain, but if it continues then maybe we'l look into notifying someone. Anyway, thanks for the kind words. It really does makeme feel better...

- neil

driving down the highway and someone took a parking spot you where about to duck into or cut you off or hit you with the high beams or flipped you the bird, what would you think of those people? Would you let it eat at you? I hope not. These people you are dealing with have the same mentality. They should soon tire of what they are doing and go off and find something else to do. Chase cats up trees, bay at the moon but most likely chase parked cars. Just keep cacheing and chalk it all up to the learning curve

quote:
Originally posted by flowerman:

Just ran into one of the people RobiNeil was complaining about. This cacher visited my caches and then wrote step by step directions to each in the logs. You can find them without even using a GPS now. Should I delete these logs?.....

I would delete them.

-UA

...Proudly ranked 620th in the state of California!My Home

There are good and bad people everywhere. Most folks are basically good. Our sport is impossible to police and we have to expect that the bad folks will mess with us from time to time. That's part of the game, if you will, and comes with the territory. Try not to let it get you down too much and think of the positives. Peace!

quote:
Originally posted by RobiNeil:

We've come across some particularly nasty people in this sport in the couple months we've been doing it. A month ago we bought a 4-pack of travel bugs and sent them on their way. 2 are making their way around the country. But 1 disappeared right off the bat, and another was placed totally off course by a person who called it (travel bug) "incredibly lame" and then ruined the token we had connected to it.

Another problem occurred when a person, who is so far involved in this sport that he's lost touch with reality and has created a "mystique" by not ever getting in touch with any other geocachers, decided to kidnap a friend's travel bug and steal our caches.

The sad thing is we've done nothing to incur the wrath of these people. Completely random acts of hostility. It's totally soured my view of the sport, and it is a shame.

You can go ahead and call me too sensitive, or a complainer. But it just blows me away that people can turn a fun, interesting game and use it as a forum for their anti-social behaviors. What a crappy way to live... sorry for the rant. I'm done...

- Neil

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

_We can blame it on Dr. Ufo Koska. Although I hear tell the Dr. lives in Woodinville under the Federal Witness Protection Program._

Oh, please. Speculation about where I reside is completely pointless. Even my vast hordes of evil minions do not know where I live. I know, of course, but I doubt if I would even tell myself!

And trust me, my secret hideout is not only extremely well concealed but employs active countermeasures to prevent someone with a GPS receiver from getting an accurate fix at that spot.

The comment about my needing the protection of the Federal Witness Protection Program does not even merit a response.

I understand that, having found all my caches, you now have extra time on your hands. Rather than waste this time on idle speculation, you should invest it in some more profitable pursuit!

Do not fear - there are more caches in the works. I will make them very hard, so that they provide the extreme challenge needed to match Leatherman's considerable skills.

Regards,

Dr. Ufo Koska, Evil Super Genius

I feel your pain RobiNeil. There is a local cacher that thinks he can threaten and bully me.

I know what your going through. This guy has removed a cache of mine and laughed about it, he deletes my logs, and he (and his friends) routinely had been sending me threatening emails.

My advice is to not change how you play the game. When it comes down to it, this is a solitary game. No one elses actions can affect your enjoyment of it.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

[This message was edited by sbell111 on November 12, 2002 at 11:31 AM.]

Hope you get the problem solved and I would also delete any un-wanted or un-needed data if you are so inclined to do so. The types of jerks that do this stuff in the first place are not going to tire of it, it is their mission in life to screw up things for the good folks, they thrive on the negatives and will just find other ways to do it, the sad part about it it they almost always get away with it because of the ones that can do something about it, dont want to get involved and put a stop to it! The cure? They simply need to be eliminated from the gene pool and before they breed anymore of them... icon_rolleyes.gificon_mad.gif

quote:
Originally posted by flowerman:

Just ran into one of the people RobiNeil was complaining about. This cacher visited my caches and then wrote step by step directions to each in the logs. You can find them without even using a GPS now. Should I delete these logs? This is the same person who made a point of taking travel bugs, including one of RobiNeil's way out of its way. Even bragged about it in the log. Very spitefull.

Flowerman,

The member whose post you deleted, noticed and reposted.

I'm the guy who visited your cache and found the TB that RobiNeil is complaining about. I think he misunderstood my post. The TB wasn't in poor condition, it was still in OK shape. However, the TB is a card stock bar coaster, and me and the guy RobiNeil is complaining about both commented on this stating that it probably won't stay in good shape for long. Considering that a little bit of water will turn it into paste, and many caches have more than a little bit of water in them...

I put it in a ziplock before I passed it on.

Lovecacher