[Feature] Short term gift cards for premium sub

Team Hildy

Gift cards for Premium membership would make great swag, except that the $30.00 price tag is a bit steep. However, one month gift cards sold in the $3.00 per month price range ($36.00 per year) would be great, and they have a ton of potential as marketing tools. A system for producing codes good for a one month membership already exists, as I have found such codes inside certain Magellan GPSr products.

The first benefit is obvious: People who otherwise may never have paid for premium membership may try it upon finding the card and then decide they "can't live without" the extra features.

Current premium members would probably be plenty happy to find a free one month extension in a cache.

The cards could be printed with special "collectable" patterns for events and such. I'd recommend hiding the numbers under that silver scratch-off stuff they use on lotto tickets so that people can see whether the subscription has been used. That will prevent fraud when trading, and let's face it; There will be plenty of collectors neurotic enough to never scratch off the code just so that their cards stay in "mint condition." That's pure profit without even having to provide the one month of service.

Cards could be printed with blank spots for the purchaser to put his own stamp or signature before distribution in caches.

Some of those special cards could be sold at mega events as a fundraiser. Just to throw out a random number, they could be sold for $3.50 or $4.00 with the balance going toward the event. The purchaser gets the collectable card and one month of membership or else gets to place the collectable card (with his stamp / signature) as high class swag.

To make the whole thing more of an "experience" the site could track the purchaser and eventual user of each card, sending a message to the purchaser to let him know who eventually ended up cashing in the card that he bought. No special tracking numbers beyond the Gift code would be necessary.

I just thought this would be a fun, not to mention profitable, idea.

Gift cards for Premium membership would make great swag, except that the $30.00 price tag is a bit steep. However, one month gift cards sold in the $3.00 per month price range ($36.00 per year) would be great, and they have a ton of potential as marketing tools. A system for producing codes good for a one month membership already exists, as I have found such codes inside certain Magellan GPSr products.

The first benefit is obvious: People who otherwise may never have paid for premium membership may try it upon finding the card and then decide they "can't live without" the extra features.

Current premium members would probably be plenty happy to find a free one month extension in a cache.

The cards could be printed with special "collectable" patterns for events and such. I'd recommend hiding the numbers under that silver scratch-off stuff they use on lotto tickets so that people can see whether the subscription has been used. That will prevent fraud when trading, and let's face it; There will be plenty of collectors neurotic enough to never scratch off the code just so that their cards stay in "mint condition." That's pure profit without even having to provide the one month of service.

Cards could be printed with blank spots for the purchaser to put his own stamp or signature before distribution in caches.

Some of those special cards could be sold at mega events as a fundraiser. Just to throw out a random number, they could be sold for $3.50 or $4.00 with the balance going toward the event. The purchaser gets the collectable card and one month of membership or else gets to place the collectable card (with his stamp / signature) as high class swag.

To make the whole thing more of an "experience" the site could track the purchaser and eventual user of each card, sending a message to the purchaser to let him know who eventually ended up cashing in the card that he bought. No special tracking numbers beyond the Gift code would be necessary.

I just thought this would be a fun, not to mention profitable, idea.

I support this as well. This christmas I was willing to give about 5 geocachers I know a gift of premium membership. I was willing to spent about $12 a pop, and was hopeing to buy them a 3 months subscription. I was not willing to spend $30 a pop on them either. I would hae done so at $12 each though. They would probably have continued the membership themselvs. They like the thought of having a premium membership, but are to much a "scrooge" to take a premium test drive for a entire year at $30 though.

Second thing...

Events.... I have had several, I would have been willing to buy a few month long, or 90 day long premium memberships to give away as door prizes, or even awards at $5 for a month, $15 for 3 months. I however am not willing to shell out $30 each though.

If you look at MOST online services that have subscription fees. 98% of them offer Month long, 90 day, & even 6 month membership plans besides the entire year plan. Look at most dating sites, hulu+, Netflix, Adult Sites, etc...

I do remember at one time you did offer 3 month membership plans. Maybe you didn't have many takers, but maybe what you need is a way to sell those 3 months plans, along with one month plans. And then provide us a way to PRINT out a "Gift Certificate" with a code on it. So that we can give it away at events to winners & they can use it either to extend their premium memberships by 3 months, or for those basic members to get 3 months.

TGC

P.S. I don't mind paying $30 for a years membership for myself. Just its a little to much for my pocketbook to shell out as a "Gift" for awards, or even as gifts for all my friends.

Edited by texasgrillchef