Hunting for LPCs may arouse suspicion?

Chrysalides

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/01/12/copper-thieves-dressed-as-utility-workers-target-sunnyvale-street-lights/

Yeah, I know they go underneath the lamp post to get the wires, but your generic Public Spirited Citizen is not going to make the distinction. Read about copper thieves targeting streetlight, see someone not of canine persuasion hanging around a lamp post examining it, he's going to dial 911.

And I'm sure many here would applaud this as good news :ph34r:

Edited by Chrysalides

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/01/12/copper-thieves-dressed-as-utility-workers-target-sunnyvale-street-lights/

Yeah, I know they go underneath the lamp post to get the wires, but your generic Public Spirited Citizen is not going to make the distinction. Read about copper thieves targeting streetlight, see someone not of canine persuasion hanging around a lamp post examining it, he's going to dial 911.

screw stealth then. don't hang around waiting for muggles to clear.

screw stealth then. don't hang around waiting for muggles to clear.

That's my co-cacher's take on LPCs. He assumes there's permission, and just goes right up to it, lifting he skirt. Doesn't worry about who is watching, or how much noise he makes.

Me, I just try not to do them.

The only time I have ever been confronted about my caching activity & genuinely feared I'd be explaining myself in the back of a police car was an LPC.

Ironically, it was approved by the appropriate people, but the employee who spotted me (from over 100 feet away) was unaware that it had permission, and couldn't find anyone who could was (and I didn't have the correct name to drop). This facility had even hosted a GPS Adventures Maze.

No photoshop sir!

Amazing.. someone actually did it. Still a photoshop I believe, but done by Zazzle.

This should be more cost effective : http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Products/Crafts-&-Scrapbooking/Fabric-Transfers/T_Shirt-Transfer_08938.htm

Say, I noticed that we were at Vegas on the same day (23rd Dec). Too bad, would have liked to meet you guys.

Edited by Chrysalides

The only time I have ever been confronted about my caching activity & genuinely feared I'd be explaining myself in the back of a police car was an LPC.

Ironically, it was approved by the appropriate people, but the employee who spotted me (from over 100 feet away) was unaware that it had permission, and couldn't find anyone who could was (and I didn't have the correct name to drop). This facility had even hosted a GPS Adventures Maze.

I know where that is. I ran ahead of my party visiting the exhibit, and lifted the skirt for them. I did not log it. But who say's I never lifted a skirt? :unsure:

The only suspicion I think looking under lamp skirts really arouses is suspicion that we've lost our sanity.

This. :laughing:

The only suspicion I think looking under lamp skirts really arouses is suspicion that we've lost our sanity.

This. :laughing:

You try describing geocaching to non cachers in general. Most of them will think we've lost our sanity, lamp skirts or not. Pick anyone with over 500 finds in a few years, and most non players will say they're certifiably insane.

But it's a good insanity, of course.

Edited by Chrysalides

There have been 5 separate incidents in our city of theft of copper wire from underground lines. It is thought that those responsible are using BC Hydro uniforms which were stolen last year. To date, the theft has cost $100,000.00. The lines were accessed from manhole covers (probably marked BC Hydro) so I think our LPCs are safe!

was at a sandwich shop which has a lamp post outside of it which has a geocache I have found a year or two before. Saw 1 or 2 older cachers open it up. Was fun to see that really no one in the shop seemed to give a crap.

personally, unless the lamp skirt's hood is right at a parked car's front fender with a person in the car, I just go up to it and get it over with.

We have more than 2700 finds and used to enjoy the occasional LPC because they were not only quick but also a creative way to hide a cache for a time. Heck, we even hid a few LPCs [only about 3] ourselves. We're now finding it to be more and more difficult to be polite when logging them. When some people hide them, they hide them under skirts in plain view of the street and/or private business' front window. Not much of an adventure waiting out cars or people walking by.

We've never been questioned by anyone while finding an LPC, but fear that that time will inevitably come. There has been a lull in our area in LPC hides lately, but we wouldn't be surprised if the craze starts up again. As mentioned earlier, we do have 2 or 3 LPC hides, but they were hidden in 2008 and 2009, long before the new parking lot craze started.

When you consider what has been banned and what is prohibited, and how some owners of quality caches have been treated, and how detrimental practices are commonly accepted by the powers that be, and note that LPCs with their inherent problems and guardrail caches with no redeemable value are published without issue, you get a pretty clear picture of what GC.com cares about and quality ain't it.

We've never been questioned by anyone while finding an LPC, but fear that that time will inevitably come.

Not if you don't look for them, it won't.

The nearest cache to my house is a LPC. I haven't found it. I have no interest in finding it.

Obviously it's your choice: if in spite of what you say about LPCs you still want to find them, that's entirely up to you. But I choose differently.

I go for 'em, just like any other cache, although sometimes with a little groan of "Oh, another one of those...". But I have found a couple that were not typical and were actually pretty creative.

One thing I do enjoy, though, is when I happen to be caching with a non-cacher friend or one who is new to caching and hasn't seen an LPC before....I like to let them scratch their heads for awhile then let them in on the "secret"...they're usually quite amazed :)

Even if they see you right away, it takes more time for a LEO to receive the call and arrive on site than it does for me to lift the skirt, sign the log and chuck it back under. Ya gotta be quick, people. :D

The last time we had police stop us, their response time was two minutes from when we got to the cache site. I was amazed at how fast they were to responding.

Even if they see you right away, it takes more time for a LEO to receive the call and arrive on site than it does for me to lift the skirt, sign the log and chuck it back under. Ya gotta be quick, people. :D

The last time we had police stop us, their response time was two minutes from when we got to the cache site. I was amazed at how fast they were to responding.

That was just pure dumb luck on their part, or maybe he's the one who spotted you :)

That was just pure dumb luck on their part, or maybe he's the one who spotted you :)

Yeah, the timing had to have been perfect. A reservist drove by us and thought we looked suspicious, and the police car had to have been right in the neighbourhood. It was a positive encounter, they both knew about caching and said that one of their fellow policeman's wives was a geocacher.

...they both knew about caching and said that one of their fellow policeman's wives was a geocacher.

It's a good thing that police officer did not respond to the call then - I noticed that non-caching spouses of geocachers aren't usually so tolerant of the hobby :)

Hadn't thought of that! Give him more ammunition for complaining to his wife. ;) I wanted to find out her caching name, but figured they wouldn't know.

It's only the second time in ten years that I've been stopped by the police in my home town area. Both times they knew what geocaching was and wanted to look at/in the container to see what we found.

There have been 5 separate incidents in our city of theft of copper wire from underground lines. It is thought that those responsible are using BC Hydro uniforms which were stolen last year. To date, the theft has cost $100,000.00. The lines were accessed from manhole covers (probably marked BC Hydro) so I think our LPCs are safe!

they're even stealing and scrapping the manhole covers here.

Scrap yards shouldn't accept manhole covers.

Back on topic:

I just walk right up to the LPC and grab it. I don't really care if a car IS parked right there. Basically i use ZERO stealth with LPCs My therory is this: if it gets mugged, who cares? It's not like the CO put a ton of thought into it and how much effort would it take to replace it?

I think the there is a relationship between CO effort to hide and Cacher effort to find. When one side drops to near zero the other side should follow suit.

Was the cache in a donut shop parking lot?

Was the cache in a donut shop parking lot?

Yes. That was it. :anitongue: