12-12-12 Multi Event

avroair

Ok back to the coin. I have incorporated some of the changes. Other's like the font I think look fine as is, there are a bunch of different languages on it so you aren't supposed to be able to read it lol!

For the back I am at a bit of a loss. We can do a digital theme with 12-12-12 big across the back, and a 12-sided star burst that could look pretty cool and would also be cool to color.

Any other ideas? I will be working on the design today and early next week.

Can you post a list of the locations taking part in the 12-12-12 event. I may not be in Utah in December and I would like to see what else is available that I can make plans for. Thanks!

I'm guessing there will be some sort of recognizable naming convention used for the events, similar to the WWFM multi-events? That should make them easy to spot once they start getting listed in September.

As for the design question, if a clock wasn't being used on the front I'd suggest some manner of 12 pointed analog clock face designed in the style of a compass rose (though you could argue that compass roses have already been overdone on geocoins).

Can you post a list of the locations taking part in the 12-12-12 event. I may not be in Utah in December and I would like to see what else is available that I can make plans for. Thanks!

I'm guessing there will be some sort of recognizable naming convention used for the events, similar to the WWFM multi-events? That should make them easy to spot once they start getting listed in September.

As for the design question, if a clock wasn't being used on the front I'd suggest some manner of 12 pointed analog clock face designed in the style of a compass rose (though you could argue that compass roses have already been overdone on geocoins).

Last year's 11-11-11 coin also used a clock face.

I still like the ideal of the facade of the back of a pocket watch with cutout windows exposing the fine springs and gears within. Too fiddly for a geocoin?

No not too fiddly as it has been done before. I really don't want to se a clock face because the 11-11-11 coin had one and I'd like this one to be different. Also the hands would all be pointing straight up.

Here's an FAQ:

A gallery of previous multi-event coins can be seen: Here. B0tl's coins

What is a multi-event?

A multi-event is a group of event locations that share the same theme and geocoin (with the same icon).

Who can host an 11-11-11 Multi-event?

Anyone! An individual, geoaching organization or group.

Are there any restrictions on where I can host my event?

The event format is totally up to you. The only rule is that events that don't share the same color combination be more than 100 miles apart. Two events with the same color/metal combination have no distance restrictions.

What if two people would like to do an event but they live within 100 miles?

Avroair stays out of regional disputes. I would suggest the two hosts work together on the same coin or find some other solution amicably. Preference will be given to a veteran event host over new host if parties can't agree. Options such as sharing a coin, moving events further apart or dropping one event have worked in the past.

Who designs the coins?

Avroair, although the design is posted in the forums and critiqued by the other hosts. The design is meant to be versatile so that many color and metal combinations are available. The coins are trackable at GC.com and have a custom icon shared by all the versions. Avroair is open to other people's designs.

What can I customize (what will make my coin unique)?

There are two main options:

1. Choice of metal finish (antiquing adds to the cost)

2. Choice of color enamel fills. The color options include sub-options like glitter, glow, translucent and pearl enamels. Some of these options add to the costs to the coin.

What's the minimum order size?

Minimum order is generally 50 coins. But there is a price break for ordering 100 coins. There is also a 25 coin buy back program where you can opt to have the vendor sell them for you. This is available before you get your coins.

How much do the coins cost?

Depends on what options you use. But typically starts at $6.00 per coin. The hosts decide on the retail price as a group. The 12-12-12 coin will probably be large and intricate.

How do I pick colors, metal and enamels?

Avroair will provide a 'color by numbers' outline of the coin artwork used for picking colors and enamels.

What happens if two hosts submit exact or similar colors?

The host who handed in their colors second will be asked to alter their colors.

Will we see mint artwork?

Yes, you will have a chance to approve mint artwork to make sure colors are correctly chosen. But there is no opportunity to change your colors at that stage, just confirm they are correct.

Will we get a sample?

Only if time permits and we only do samples of the first 2-4 coins submitted.

When will the coins be delivered?

Two weeks before your event. You will get a shipping notice when this happens.

How much is shipping?

Depends based on whether you are an international event host and how many coins you ordered.

How can I trade to get more of the versions?

There will be an opt in where each event host gets one of every other version that opted in. For instance if we have 40 versions, 25 hosts opt in, then 24 of your coins will be put in the opt in and you get 24 different versions, one from each event host.

Can I pre-sell the coins?

Reservations for coins is allowed, but these are event coins, they should be sold at an event.

Can I trade them before the events?

Only with other hosts. It's preferable not to have them sold on the open market before 12-12-12.

Can I buy a coin version for my shop and sell them?

No, please refrain from just commercially selling them on a website. This is an event coin, please take the time to list an event. If you have leftovers then it's fine to sell them on a webstore, other events or ebay etc.

What should I do with extra coins after the event?

Anything you want, they are yours. Trade, sell, melt down...

Hmm...How about having the 12:12:12 in the digital portion of the clock something that can be colored ?

Like +1!

Yeah, I like that design. I think I saw someone mentioning the pocket watch cogs etc thing, and it made me think: What about behind that digital display, having a bunch of cogs, pipes etc, like some kind of crazy steam punk machine driving the digital display?

Or perhaps a slightly irregular star burst multi-level pattern behind the digital display, like I had on my suggestion way way back up the thread...

Looks good...my only concern is that the digital clock looks a bit out of place with the rest of the design.

Good timing for me. Just got back from vacation to see where things were at with this coin.

I like the overall design. Interesting use of the 12's in a rotated fashion.

I see what DresselDragons saying. A suggestion might be, instead of raising the digital clock, have it recessed. A further fancy addition might be to have a snap-in magnetic piece that covers the digital clock. The covering piece would then continue with the 'ancient' look and design. Of course, this adds to the expense... but adds to the cool factor as well. LOL

(Can we make the digital clock blink? :laughing: )

I'm liking it. I do think the original font on the "twelve" words looked better (funny, I know, because I was the one who suggested doing a different font)! Now I think the original font is more in keeping with the theme of the coin. Perhaps changing the numbers on the digital clock to that same original font and separating them by dashes instead of colons would make it look more like a date than digital time and keep it also more in line with the coin theme. I do like how big it is, though, because it really highlights the theme of the date.

As for AG's suggesting for more raised areas, perhaps raising the points on the star so that each triangle between the points could be a different color, if desired, might work?

Having said all that, this is my first experience with participating in a coin design at all, and I am not at all artistic, so I am happy with whatever it turns out to be!

Its starting to look pretty good. I was thinking that since we had some old style (Mayan calendar)on the front perhaps the backside could be more technological (and add a bit more texture to the back). Example:

121212Backside.jpg

Recessed layer so that transparent enamels could be used?

Edited by scificollector

Its starting to look pretty good. I was thinking that since we had some old style (Mayan calendar)on the front perhaps the backside could be more technological (and add a bit more texture to the back). Example:

121212Backside.jpg

Nice idea Tim, that would look awesome!

121212Backside.jpg

I agree it looks good, but it does then leave colouring choices to the 50+ event organizers fairly limited, green being the obvious first choice.

I do not think that many other of the transparent colour selections would lend themselves to the circuits and still look as good as the greens,

a few maybe but not enough to allow a good range of different coloured coins. Shame tho because I do like the look! :P

121212Backside.jpg

I agree it looks good, but it does then leave colouring choices to the 50+ event organizers fairly limited, green being the obvious first choice.

I do not think that many other of the transparent colour selections would lend themselves to the circuits and still look as good as the greens,

a few maybe but not enough to allow a good range of different coloured coins. Shame tho because I do like the look! :P

I understand the concern about limited coloration but we had a similar issue with the poppy on the 11-11-11 Multi event coin and there was enough variation with the other areas to color/metal choices that most people were satisfied. As for circuit board coloration being primarily green, that is true but there has been great looking coins with tech based themes using other transparent colors. Digital Hell, the Czech UFO coins, The Pirate Bones series to name a few.

121212BacksideA.jpg

Edited to show mock-up of various transparents

Edited by scificollector

I really like the idea of the digital numbers being raised outline instead of raised solid, so they can be coloured in with transparent enamel, as well as the area surrounding the numbers.

I think the circuit board texture is also great and no problems colouring it however you want, as demonstrated up above somewhere.

What about 31-3-13 for next year ??

The unique feature of the 8/8/8 to 12/12/12 series was that no matter what the date format your country used whether it be DD/MM/YY or MM/DD/YY you could still participate as it didn't matter.

Anything with the date beyond 12 is always going to be confusing for one group of people and be fine for the rest.

It's not perfect as 8-8-8 .. 12.12.12,

but the only option with DD/MM/YY = MM/DD/YY is 3-3-13, 4-4-14

(or better 3-3-X3, 4-4-X4).

The unique feature of the 8/8/8 to 12/12/12 series was that no matter what the date format your country used whether it be DD/MM/YY or MM/DD/YY you could still participate as it didn't matter.

Anything with the date beyond 12 is always going to be confusing for one group of people and be fine for the rest.

It's not perfect as 8-8-8 .. 12.12.12,

but the only option with DD/MM/YY = MM/DD/YY is 3-3-13, 4-4-14

(or better 3-3-X3, 4-4-X4).

Well, if we do not want to wait until 2101 to do another event whose date matches the sequence of the type xy-xy-xy (where x can be equal to y), we have to find another type of sequence that occurs only once every year.

And this proposal is a good choice, ...if the Mayan prophecies are not fulfilled :ph34r:

121212Backside.jpg

Different colors are OK.

But green is green :)

See the test (in the image editor):

mince_test_xxx.jpg

I think it would look a little better with something in the 12 corners to cover up the gaps where the repeating pattern doesn't quite meet. Perhaps another Mayan icon like around the middle on the front side.

Maybe just this:

Extend the arrow (around digital 12-12-12) to the edge of the coin.

10_colors_1.jpg

Colors will be in fact less. Colors will be repeated.

Edited by torfik

We could do a 2 stage event next year. In the US it could be on 11/12/13 (November 12th) and elsewhere, it could be December 11th!

Yeah, the "date confusion" multi event series. We can have 132 of those events every year! ;)

Now that's funky!! :D :D

Edited by Guwapo