12-12-12 Multi Event

avroair

I like the design, too!

The title with "The end" maybe should be thought about.

It`s related to the Mayan calender, they believed it would be the end of the world. But should we do so?

If you google the 12-12-12, everybody is saying something about theendoftheworld themes/projects.

I bet it will be THE wedding date for a lot of couples.

12-12-12 The Peace DAY

12-12-12 Peace on Earth

12-12-12 The Triple Caching Dimension

12-12-12 The Triple Cache Dimension

just my thinking

Edited by longtomsilver

I was really hoping we could move away from a compass-rose-style rotationally symmetric design this time.

It's not supposed to look like a compass rose. The Mayan calendar it has 'points' on it. A rotational symmetric design is easier to follow with color by numbers.

Edited by avroair

But it's not the end of the world, it's the end of this long cycle. the mayan calendar was all about a long cycle rebirth where the world would 'change', not end.

That's right - the idea that this is the "end" of the Mayan calendar and that means they predicted the end of the world is a modern urban myth. It is the end of a calendar cycle, and the next one starts the next day. Even Wikipedia (the cacher's ultimate reference tool :blink:) has a good summary.

Rather than getting hung up on event names related to the "end of the world" etc., what about considering names involving related themes such as: Mayan Calendar, Mayan Civilization, Mayan Counting. The coin obviously used Mayan themes, so the name should match.

From my perspective, it would be better not to polarize groups with the event and coin name by using a populist but misguided theme.

But it's not the end of the world, it's the end of this long cycle. the mayan calendar was all about a long cycle rebirth where the world would 'change', not end.

I do like the use of multiple languages of twelve however.

Yeah but then I can't play REM at my event! :D I am working on a new slogan for that. And need to do some backside artwork. Any ideas for that? I have a few but can look at other options?

I do like the use of multiple languages of twelve however.

Yeah but then I can't play REM at my event! :D I am working on a new slogan for that. And need to do some backside artwork. Any ideas for that? I have a few but can look at other options?

I still like my digital clock idea for the back - some others do and some others don't. I was just quite keen on the digital numbers and being able to colour them with transparent colours ;)

What about something like my design but with a different picture/object/whatever in the middle, but still the kind of explosion/kapow motif?

I should also qualify my previous comment about the "rotationally symmetric" design criticism - I do like the mayan style design, although some of the detail might be a little too fine. One thing though, can the writing around the outside be made parallel with the 12 sides, rather than circular? This will look better IMO and may also free up some room to make the internal design a bit bigger and the details not so fine.

Finally, please don't include any backsides... Need I remind you, this is a family show. Whatever artwork people do on their backsides, they do so in the privacy of their own homes... :)

Edited by funkymunkyzone

I like the design a lot and I like the "End of the World" name...that's the name GS is using for the events this year!

I would like to see the words around the outside in font that's a little easier to read. I know it's supposed to look like Mayan lettering, but it's hard to read (for me anyway).

Thanks, Mark, for working on this!

edited 'cause I can't spell.

Edited by steben6

I know the XX-XX-XX thing is at an end, but that's no reason not to continue the anual multi-event and group coin. We just need to think up a new one for 2013. 1-3-13 seems obvious, but comes very close on the heels of 12-12-12.

Or we could just pick a date to have a group coin multi-event that isn't tied to an otherwise meaningless repeating date. :D

On a related note, I just submitted my 12-12-12 event cache for review today.

I thought that events could only be published 3 months in advance??

If an event expects to attract out of town visitors, it can be published up to 6 months in advance in order to allow extra time to book lodgings. Since I had people drive up to 4 hours for the 11-11-11 event I asked for the advance publication this time.

Of course, it is up to the reviewer to make the call.

If an event expects to attract out of town visitors, it can be published up to 6 months in advance in order to allow extra time to book lodgings. Since I had people drive up to 4 hours for the 11-11-11 event I asked for the advance publication this time.

I haven't even considered where I am having our event yet!

I know the XX-XX-XX thing is at an end, but that's no reason not to continue the anual multi-event and group coin. We just need to think up a new one for 2013. 1-3-13 seems obvious, but comes very close on the heels of 12-12-12.

Or we could just pick a date to have a group coin multi-event that isn't tied to an otherwise meaningless repeating date. :D

Next year, we could have a multi event at 08:09:10 on 11-12-13! :tongue:

I haven't even considered where I am having our event yet!

It again falls on the day of the monthly meet and greet here so the venue is a no brainer! LOL

This looks like a winner for next year! The following year, 12-13-14!

wow a 13th month ?! :laughing:

Us Americans write our dates like this...month, day, year. ;)

yeah I also heard you are still fighting to keep the metric system at arms length... tsk tsk tsk :grin::laughing:

yeah I also heard you are still fighting to keep the metric system at arms length... tsk tsk tsk :grin::laughing:

What about 31-3-13 for next year ??

The unique feature of the 8/8/8 to 12/12/12 series was that no matter what the date format your country used whether it be DD/MM/YY or MM/DD/YY you could still participate as it didn't matter.

Anything with the date beyond 12 is always going to be confusing for one group of people and be fine for the rest.

The unique feature of the 8/8/8 to 12/12/12 series was that no matter what the date format your country used whether it be DD/MM/YY or MM/DD/YY you could still participate as it didn't matter.

Anything with the date beyond 12 is always going to be confusing for one group of people and be fine for the rest.

Personally, I think after the 12-12-12 event we should have a 13-13-13 event as the "lucky last" in the series. Of course it would actually be held on the 13th of January 2014. :)

I figured a discussion about a 12-12-12 group coin would be going by now; I see it's actually been going for quite a while.

Add Bridgewater, Nova Scotia to the list (hope you don't mind E&C+3 if I add an event an hour away from your's). I didn't have an 11-11-11 event last year, partly due to other stuff happening or potentially happening the same day as I recall, but held XX-XX-XX events the previous 3 years. Being the "last one" of this type, it's time to finally get in on the group coin project. :)

Edited by islander1988

I figured a discussion about a 12-12-12 group coin would be going by now; I see it's actually been going for quite a while.

Add Bridgewater, Nova Scotia to the list (hope you don't mind E&C+3 if I add an event an hour away from your's). I didn't have an 11-11-11 event last year, partly due to other stuff happening or potentially happening the same day as I recall, but held XX-XX-XX events the previous 3 years. Being the "last one" of this type, it's time to finally get in on the group coin project. :)

Not a problem Islander! Wish I could attend both. :)

I'll definitely have to work out a trade with you!

And I'll have to make sure to get trades from both of you :D

I'll be heading south at the time so the question is - Is there anyone haveing a 12*12*12 in North Carolina?? (at the Beach preferably) which reminds me of the movie "On the Beach" which is a doomsday scenario, that would work well for an event.

Which also raises the question of how hard is it to get an event published in another country?? :blink:

And I'll have to make sure to get trades from both of you :D

I'll be heading south at the time so the question is - Is there anyone haveing a 12*12*12 in North Carolina?? (at the Beach preferably) which reminds me of the movie "On the Beach" which is a doomsday scenario, that would work well for an event.

Which also raises the question of how hard is it to get an event published in another country?? :blink:

Fayetteville North Carolina will be hosting an event but it is probably a little too far inland. I am pretty sure that AtlantaGal will be hosting an event again this year in Myrtle Beach South Carolina which I am sure is what you are looking for.

Not hard at all. We've organised events in other countries before - in fact the first event we ever organised was in Tiananmen Square, Beijing and then for the 11-11-11 last year, we hosted an event in Auckland, New Zealand and also Apia, Samoa. No problems at all with listing any of those. :)