Trying to hide first cache...need feedback!

Pennywise81

I am seeking to hide my first cache and I wanted some feedback about those of you who asked "permission" to hide a cache near a business or private property. Do most places say no, or what approach should I use if I choose to hide near a place where I need permission and have to ask someone at the business/store. Is it better to call a number and ask over the phone or a place where you can ask in person? Any information would be helpful in helping me make a decision!

I am seeking to hide my first cache and I wanted some feedback about those of you who asked "permission" to hide a cache near a business or private property. Do most places say no, or what approach should I use if I choose to hide near a place where I need permission and have to ask someone at the business/store. Is it better to call a number and ask over the phone or a place where you can ask in person? Any information would be helpful in helping me make a decision!

First try and make personal contact, then if they need something it writing write a letter. I do this for photography and events. I have to get permission from the provincial parks department for a couple of my caches, as they want to see if the cache has an environmental impact and they have always said yes.

Be prepared to hear "No." :(

A common reason for "no" is that the "insurance won't cover people doing this!"

You may have a better chance of getting permission if you are asking the actual owner of the business and it's a small local business. You should go to see the owner in person (after calling to see if you need an appointment) and take the container you will be using. You might want to print up a sample cache page or two of similar hides in your area. Most people will have no idea what geocaching is, so you need to give them something they can keep and read. They may also want to think about it before giving you an answer. You can try telling the owner that a cache will bring more customers to the business (this is sort of true, depending on how many cachers are in your area.) :)

If you decide to hide your cache in a park instead, check with your local reviewer to see if the parks in your locality have geocaching guidelines.

Good luck! It is fun to own some caches and read the logs!

Edited by The VanDucks

Every couple of years there is a veterinary conference in my town and last time it was here I had to go around and beg for door prizes, so I learned a lot about asking things from people.

For something like this, I would prefer to ask them in person, but it may be nice to phone ahead and see if the person who need permission is actually there and set up a time to meet. Do what you are most comfortable with. If you want to do everything with crossed t's and dotted i's, then phone ahead. If you want to go more casual, stop by. If you'd rather do the whole deal over the phone, then do that :)

If you stop by, I think you should bring some stuff with you. Bring the container you're planning on hiding, tell them where you want it hidden, and bring some stuff to explain geocaching, even if it's just some little card with the website address.

I think it would maybe be best if you don't put them in a corner by expecting a yes or no answer right away. If they say no right away, then fine, but if they seem hesitant, then don't push it. It's okay to think about it (but give them a deadline because you don't want them to think they can let it slide and that that means "no"). Tell you'll check back in X number of days and then do so. Hopefully they will do a little research :)

Be friendly, be pleasant, don't push things, and if they say "no" then back off. I think it's kind of intimidating asking for things, but I feel with geocaching it'll get everybody a lot farther. If a cache doesn't have permission to be placed, and random people keep "creeping" around, and the business owner finds out it's "geocaching" then it's gonna leave a bad taste in their mouth :(