Origin of geocaching logo

martinp13

Ok, Jeremy: where'd you come up with the logo idea? I remember the bigger grid, versus the current 2x2. And why orange and not red?

Inquiring minds want to know! (and ours do too)

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

The original design was for a t-shirt, and it incorporated the idea of the old six degrees logo (where you were six degrees from everyone else in the world).

The Groundspeak guy comes from the Groundspeak logo which originally the guy stood on the earth and shouted. The idea was that folks in geographically diverse areas can take a physical location on a planet and make a virtual "log" there. This site, for example, is the virtual representation of caches placed in the physical world.

The curved dotted lines indicate a path to the ultimate goal (which on a GPS unit is indicated as a flag). And with a GPS unit there is no wrong path (though some are more wrong than others).

The colors, again, go back to the 6 degrees site. Variation of caches and cachers resemble the many colors of the logo and many ways that caches are hidden and presented. 4 boxes were a simpler approach to the many boxes, and ultimately more recognizable and easier to position. Any similarity to the Windows logo was accidental. Trust me. I also represent different games on the geocaching site by the different background colors. Green for Geocaching and Blue for Travel Bugs, for example.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak Lackey and Geopuppet