How to allow an "exit game" event which will work from anywhere

redsox_mark

Hi,

The way I have designed my Wherigo/Geocache - once you complete the tasks in the game, you are given the geocache as a special zone you can navigate to.

Once the player either finds the cache (or doesn't find it/doesn't want to find it), I want to give them a way to "exit" - and when they choose "exit" I will thank them for playing, give them the completion code, and close the cart. I would like them to be able to do this from anywhere, not just from the final zone. (The reason I want this is to allow the player to use the zones of the game to navigate back to the start; and if they do this they get different messages when they enter the zones). Once the player has "won" the game I'd like them to be able to do this graceful exit from their car, their home, etc.

The way I designed this I created an invisible dummy zone (as large as the UK), and I put an item in it called "Exit". Then created a command "Exit Game" (as well as one "Return to Game") as part of the item "Exit".

On the emulator this works fine. In the field (both on the iPhone and on a Garmin Oregon), it doesn't. I get "Not Available" for the Commands/Events. If I make my "dummy" zone visible, it works. But I don't really want this zone to be visible.

Any suggestions? Maybe there is a totally different way to do this?

first of all, i don't really see a reason for doing this - no other cartridge has an "exit" command ;e) so i presume people would be used to just quitting their Wherigo player when they feel like it.

(you can give out the completion code when they find the geocache - the best practice here is to place an item called "completion code" into their inventory and setting its description to completion code. that way, it's available whenever they need it)

but if you feel like being "graceful", to each their own i guess

so second of all - why not place the item into player's inventory instead of a zone?

(btw what you're doing is technically supposed to work. why it doesn't is beyond me; there are some strange bugs on iPhone related to item commands at the moment, but the Oregon should be perfectly okay with it)

first of all, i don't really see a reason for doing this - no other cartridge has an "exit" command ;e) so i presume people would be used to just quitting their Wherigo player when they feel like it.

(you can give out the completion code when they find the geocache - the best practice here is to place an item called "completion code" into their inventory and setting its description to completion code. that way, it's available whenever they need it)

but if you feel like being "graceful", to each their own i guess

so second of all - why not place the item into player's inventory instead of a zone?

(btw what you're doing is technically supposed to work. why it doesn't is beyond me; there are some strange bugs on iPhone related to item commands at the moment, but the Oregon should be perfectly okay with it)

I love it - THANK YOU! I'll create a completion code item and put it in the players inventory. I'm glad I asked.