is this a tad corny or weird?

nzkristy

When i was 11 (13 years ago) i had a pen pal that lived in Oregon (i am in New Zealand). We were connected through her father who was a part owner in the American company that employed my father over here. Any way she often wrote of her aspirations to travel and work with animals etc.... but was battling leukemia at the same time. Long story short her dreams of travel were stolen by cancer and she lost her battle in October 27 2000 aged 12 (barely - just a month past her birthday). I was thinking of connecting my first travel bug up to one of the tv beanie babies she sent me with a small description in a bid to try and have it travel far and wide as a tribute to an amazing young girl.

Nothing corny or weird in that idea, in my opinion - I've seen quite a few 'tribute' TBs

Just a couple of things to think about though... a beanie baby is quite large for use as TB and they tend to get grubby/damp in caches. As caches get smaller and smaller it becomes more difficult for cachers to move larger TBs along easily. I've noticed at geocaching events that often the larger TBs are not picked up by choice.

Also, TBs very often disappear without trace so don't send out any item that is precious to you: Think about how you'll feel if it travels only 20 miles and then you never see it again.

Good luck with your plans. :)

MrsB

Admirable, though not a new (or weird) concept.

Beanie baby, though? We have seen a couple of teddy bears (minis) that went a long, long ways. But really, I should think you might want something a bit more substantial in structure, and not quite so bulky.

Other things: Do include a mission tag with the TB, you can resize it before printing to just about any size you need. Laminate both sides to sturdy it up a bit, hole-punch a corner and mount a grommet there.

Now... a small (1/16") cable from most any hardware store and a properly sized crush-able ferrule (from the same store). Put the TB tag, and the mission card on the cable, loop the cable through some indestructible part of the traveler (or drill a hole). Insert both cable ends into the ferrule and crush it HARD. The beaded chain that came with the TB tag? ...use it for something else.

You have eliminated the need for the ubiquitous baggie that 1) looks terrible after 2 months; 2) is ruined at 3 months; 3) makes the TB too bulky to fit into many caches.

Your thoughts to honor and remember your friend, and to allow others to get to know her and her plight are wonderful. You are a true friend, indeed.

Best wishes for your efforts and I hope the memorial TB travels long and far, giving others pause.

When i was 11 (13 years ago) i had a pen pal that lived in Oregon (i am in New Zealand). We were connected through her father who was a part owner in the American company that employed my father over here. Any way she often wrote of her aspirations to travel and work with animals etc.... but was battling leukemia at the same time. Long story short her dreams of travel were stolen by cancer and she lost her battle in October 27 2000 aged 12 (barely - just a month past her birthday). I was thinking of connecting my first travel bug up to one of the tv beanie babies she sent me with a small description in a bid to try and have it travel far and wide as a tribute to an amazing young girl.

Don't send the beanie baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She gave that to you and it obviously carries some cherished memories..... KEEP IT!!!!

Get another beanie baby and send that....but keep the original one.

I don't normally keep or care about stuffed animals & toys too much - but I do have a few stuffed animals that hold a special place in my heart. I'll probably be buried with them.

Nothing corny or weird in that idea, in my opinion - I've seen quite a few 'tribute' TBs

Just a couple of things to think about though... a beanie baby is quite large for use as TB and they tend to get grubby/damp in caches. As caches get smaller and smaller it becomes more difficult for cachers to move larger TBs along easily. I've noticed at geocaching events that often the larger TBs are not picked up by choice.

Also, TBs very often disappear without trace so don't send out any item that is precious to you: Think about how you'll feel if it travels only 20 miles and then you never see it again.

Good luck with your plans. :)

MrsB

Thank you! i will definately follow your advice once my tb actually arrives!