What makes a perfect geocaching event

Presence

My friend and I are considering hosting a geocaching event over the summer at a state park. It has mountains, a lake,camping, bathrooms, a waterfall and tons of trails. It is a little ways out there but not to bad. We really want this to be fun and an event that that everyone remembers. Can you please weigh in with what you would like to have at a geocaching event.

My friend and I are considering hosting a geocaching event over the summer at a state park. It has mountains, a lake,camping, bathrooms, a waterfall and tons of trails. It is a little ways out there but not to bad. We really want this to be fun and an event that that everyone remembers. Can you please weigh in with what you would like to have at a geocaching event.

Main thing...good conversation...and that usually takes care of itself. Put in to it what you are interested and go from there. You will soon find out what the local community is most interested in doing.

For me when events pop up in general area I'll go to the ones that are more social and don't have a bunch of structured games and activities. Since it doesn't happen I like to use the time to catch up with the handful of area cachers I don't see other wise or only talk to through e-mail. A great event I think also needs to have a host who is interested in the event and engaging people in conversation or starting conversation beyond their small social circle as well.

I like an event that includes everything you say the park has to offer.

Search GeoJamboree on geocaching.com. This event is going on its 10th year, and up until we had some disagreeable park rangers, it was held at one park, and kept growing. It has a new location now, and there's a Facebook page with photos, you can google that. If you want some help on how to arrange the food donations, let me know. I was the food committee for years, and I had a great system that was pretty easy. I couldn't attend last year. We are in New England and had cachers from many states attend year after year. Lots if kayakers too, and water caches.

Oh, and it was a two day campout, that a lot of people reseved sites for four days, for this, on the day reservations opened, to make sure we all got the sites we wanted. We also got so big, that very few muggles had any sites. They sure must have wondered about us, because there were night caches, kayak/boat caches, caches on trails, we had a band, classes on GPS that the some of the CT State Police Troopers attended, a group campfire, skits.... Great fun. And great food, and great times, and great caches. The very first one was in NY, and it poured buckets and nobody left.

Edited by Planet

Food and chat. Forget about temporary caches, games, or anything that will detract from meeting, eating and chatting. Keep it simple.

+1

And if you can't resist offering door prizes, keep it very simple and short. Nothing says buzzkill like shutting everyone up for 15 minutes to pass out trinkets.

Food and chat. Forget about temporary caches, games, or anything that will detract from meeting, eating and chatting. Keep it simple.

+1

And if you can't resist offering door prizes, keep it very simple and short. Nothing says buzzkill like shutting everyone up for 15 minutes to pass out trinkets.

+++

and even worse, is shutting up everybody while you call out raffle ticket numbers. Don't do it. If you need to collect money to off-set event costs, try asking for it.

The formula for events is simple FELLOWSHIP, FOOD, FINDS

Put out a modest number of new caches in the park. Some close to trailheads for those who aren't long walkers, and some further out. Publish these a day or 2 in advance of the event day, don't try to control FTF. Just let people who want to grab a few hides on the event day have that option. Large numbers of new hides detracts from the event itself.

Hear him. That is great wisdom for event hosts.

Don't forget a logbook. I have hosted quite a few events and my event logbooks are a real treasure for me.

Other than that, I can only add that an aesthetically pleasing setting can enhance the experience, but it's not vital.

ecfc3b6b-dc5a-4219-8f76-6572841fb619.jpg

BTW - Door prizes and goody bags are also not really needed. I hate to see event hosts go to that added expense, but some just really want to do it. If you do go to the trouble, keep the number of givaways low, 6 to 8 tops, or you will lose their interest.

Lastly, as the host there is increased demand for your time. Be sure to personally welcome any NEW faces and make sure you do some introductions for anyone that is a wallflower. If you're not willing to do at least that much, ask someone to help you do it, or consider NOT hosting an event at all.

Edited by Snoogans

++++1 on the door prize raffle thing. If you have to have a door prize, have everyone just write their phone number and address on the ticket, and do it later, and mail it to them. Holding a raffle stops the momentum of an event in its tracks. And you're only making one, or a few, people happy and disappointing the rest.

Too many activities and cachers can't decide what to do. Food, caching, hiking, boating and you've got a great event.

This was a great event!. February, wind chills at 0 degrees, snd 75 cachers from 6 states stayed from 11AM to 5:30PM. The clam chowder was freezing as it cooked. It was a surprise birthday party.

If you wanna have games, that's fine. But make the event about the games and publish it as so. But even at that, be sure to run your event in such a way so that folks can still chat and visit during the event. For instance, I do a game event where the games are pretty indivudally based. While some folks are playing (and the final judging is being done) everyone else is eating, visiting, trading geocoins, or even going and grabbing caches in the area. The final prize giveaway is at a relatively specific time at then end and everyone kinda regroups about then and conversations start breaking up on their own in anticipation of the prize awards.

Don't publish an event as a simple meet and greet and then interrupt the flow of the fellowship with a bunch of games and stuff. At the very least, if you want to have door prizes and/or a raffle, put in the event listing what you are going to do and, if possible, when so folks know to expect it.

Use a theme if you want. Some meet and greets need nothing more than a shared mealtime, such as my "Let's Do Lunch..." events. Others you can supply a theme. I have one coming up that is themed on smilies. The attendees don't know that, but I am providing smiley face giveaways for folks. I've seen others based on playing dominoes, attending juggling acts, and more. Others by friends were on "Talk Like a Pirate Day" and attendees were encouraged to come in pirate costume.

Generally, just think of what you would like to see in an event and consider what is typically done in your area. Then, do you want to be like everyone else or do you want to do something different, even if it is just in a different kind of venue? You would be surprised at the reaction you can get by just doing an event at an unusual time or at a different place than normal. I started my "Let's Do Lunch..." events because all of our events were in the evenings and I wanted to be a little different. So I do these at lunch and do them at different spots around town so folks who normally can't make it to the usual spots at the usual times can attend. I REALLY like doing the BYOL (Bring Your Own Lunch) events in city parks.

If the folks in your area are anything like those in mine, they will appreciate your efforts no mater what you do.

Well, I took my kids to an event this past summer and being total n00bies, we really didn't know what to do. No one offered any help either so we left rather quickly. I don't plan on attending another one. Help out the new people is my suggestion.

That's not nearly as uncommon as one might think. Newbies really need to be prepared to just walk right up and start introducing themselves. Of course, the host and oldtimers SHOULD do the same, but it does not always happen.

When I am the host I try to greet everyone, but at larger and/or busy events, it just isn't always possible. Also, when I've hosted, I've been well into my event when I happen to notice that someone sitting off to the side is kinda watching the group but not at all trying to join in. At first, I thought they were just curious. Then I finally saw a GPS. If I had not noticed the GPS I would have never known they were cachers since they were clearly not going to jump in on their own. But once I did, I went over and introduced myself and they were then OK and participated bigtime.

Oddly, I am not very social. So when I go to other events, I have to FORCE myself to go talk to anyone I don't already know. But it is essential at these things. And it isn't all that hard. No matter what other differences we all have, we are all still geocachers. There's the ice breaker. Use it.

I encourage you to not give up on events. You can learn a lot and make great friends at them. Just don't be shy about stepping up to the plate and introducing yourself to anyone and everyone. If there is a group talking, just go hover nearby and join in on the conversation if you can. Otherwise, wait for a lull and intro yourself to the group. You may be more comfortable waiting to do your first few intros to folks closer to your own age, gender, family situation, etc. But by no means limit yourself to that.

You do that a few times and you'll be one of the crowd in no time. I wish you were down here. We'd make you look forward to the next event!

Good luck!

Well, I took my kids to an event this past summer and being total n00bies, we really didn't know what to do. No one offered any help either so we left rather quickly. I don't plan on attending another one. Help out the new people is my suggestion.

What kind of help did you need? Your log says one of your team started having issues.... :unsure:

Did you talk to anyone about geocaching or ask for help to know what to do. 43 Attends besides yours means the host was pretty busy unless you were in a restaurant and then the problem is getting around to everyone...

I agree though. I've had events with less folks and stayed very busy. I felt bad because one time I had a small family of new cachers show up and before I made it across the room to them (maybe 15 minutes) they were gone and I never saw them again. I have a couple of folks I can count on to be the extra welcome wagon at my events that 30+ folks show up to now.

Oddly, I am not very social. So when I go to other events, I have to FORCE myself to go talk to anyone I don't already know. But it is essential at these things. And it isn't all that hard. No matter what other differences we all have, we are all still geocachers. There's the ice breaker. Use it.

I am very social and I used to pride myself on meeting every single person (within reason) at every event I attended. I used to make a list of folks to meet from the will attend logs. A natural networker am I.

However, the faces in geocaching have started to change rather quickly and now, if I am not the host, I tend to gravitate toward the folks I know and let other folks introduce themselves to me. Maybe I'm just getting older and slower. The locals comment on how getting married and having a kid has changed me from my crazy party animal days from 2003-2006. :anibad: I go to less and less events and I am now an infrequent event host.

That's the flipside. It seems cliqueish to an outsider, but it's a false impression. I count several newer cachers amongst my good friends, but they introduced themselves into my circle and of course were welcomed.

FWIW, there's a list of ideas here:

http://cacheopedia.com/wiki/Event_cache

But don't over-schedule the event. Ice-breaker games are good to help people (especially newbies) mingle and start socializing. Games that "break up the party" should be avoided. That includes interminable raffles; either give inexpensive trinkets to everyone at the door, or raffle off a few nicer items, but don't raffle off lots of inexpensive trinkets where most people get one, a few people get more than one, and everyone gets bored.

NAME TAGS!!!!

I never have supplied name tags as a host and I rarely fill out the paper ones as an attendee. I probably should though. I sometimes wear a button with my name on it that Two Dog Knight made for me and I have attached the trackable tag the Lgops tagged and released me with...

Many, many folks have the trackable nametags which are very cool and a good ice breaker.

Name tags are a must have for very large and mega events though (I kept looking for bittsen and Scubasonic @ GW8) :anibad: , but you can get by without them for smaller events.

I was going to say NAME TAGS too, but the poster above beat me to it!

Our local geocaching club hosts many events. There are always a lot of new cachers attending, but it's hard for many people to just start talking to a stranger. Wearing name tags helps break the ice, especially if you recognize the name as someone who placed some caches you found. My suggestion is to ask everyone to fill out the name tag with both their caching name and their real first name.

I saw that several people who posted above said not to play games. One of our more successful events was when one of the organizers planned a simple getting-to-know you type game. It didn't take long, but it got people talking to each other. Those who don't like games could just decline to participate.

Edited by The VanDucks

I like the name tags, I am like you snoogans I like to get around and meet everyone, having name tags on makes it easy to learn who people are. I like name tags.

I hate name tags and I certainly do not want to get around and meet necessarily everyone. In general, I prefer small events anyway. I like talk to a small number of cachers, but more intensively and not just a few sentences somehow on the surface to as many people as possible. I have never attended a event with the aim to get to learn new people.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I like the name tags, I am like you snoogans I like to get around and meet everyone, having name tags on makes it easy to learn who people are. I like name tags.

I hate name tags and I certainly do not want to get around and meet necessarily everyone. In general, I prefer small events anyway. I like to a small number of cachers, but more intensively and not just a few sentences somehow on the surface to as many people as possible.

Cezanne

Some of my fondest event memories are from events where 7 or less people total were present.

My first hosted event just 2 people besides myself and my sister showed up. The event lasted more than 3 hours.

I like mega events and large regional events though because I get to spend time with folks I get to see maybe just once a year. I went to 6 GeoWoodstocks in a row. Some of the followers of that event have become good friends who meet just once a year.

Some of my fondest event memories are from events where 7 or less people total were present.

My first hosted event just 2 people besides myself and my sister showed up. The event lasted more than 3 hours.

Oh well, even the smallest events I visited years ago had more participants - around 20 or so at least.

I like mega events and large regional events though because I get to spend time with folks I get to see maybe just once a year. I went to 6 GeoWoodstocks in a row. Some of the followers of that event have become good friends who meet just once a year.

In my area nowadays there are hardly any small events. Even for 3* and higher terrain walks in the night, 50 participants is nothing uncommon. For the urban regular events one needs to expect around 80 participants. That's simply too much for me, in particular within the limits of a restaurant (indoors). Among those 80-100, there are probably 5 I want to meet because I do not meet them any longer at other occasions as for several reasons I typically cache on my own. It is however quite hard to be able to talk to those under such circumstances, and I need to admit that I am not keen on talking to tons of cachers I do not know and who have completely different interests than myself as a replacement.

With no name tags I feel less pressure to talk to people that just start a conversation when they see who I am.

Cezanne

So in regards to games maybe just something on the side like horseshoes or something similar that gives people something to do but isnt required. I LOVE the name tags idea. I have a really hard time with names so Im always glad when they are available.

I am so glad everyone seems to think no raffling. I hate raffles some how it feels like bingo or something.

I think we will have plenty to do. Theres a 20miles loop with caches. earthcaches, multi cache a 5/5 cache along the way plus a waterfall cache, kayaking, fishing, swimming, camping. We are going to the park on tuesday to speak with the rangers, if they okay it then we will be submitting our request to Keystone. Hope he approves it (hint hint)

Edited by Presence

I can relate. Our first two events were in Germany, in two separate communities. My wife went with me to the first event. She doesn't speak much German at all, and while I understand it a bit, it's mostly one way unless I'm ordering food or beer or getting directions. She let me go solo to the second event, and I didn't know a soul. Thankfully enough of the folks around me switched to English and included me in their conversation, otherwise I'd've felt even more awkward than I did.

So, yeah, making sure the new faces are taken care of, either personally or asking other folks to help out, is a good thing.

Our first two events were in Germany, in two separate communities. My wife went with me to the first event. She doesn't speak much German at all, and while I understand it a bit, it's mostly one way unless I'm ordering food or beer or getting directions. She let me go solo to the second event, and I didn't know a soul. Thankfully enough of the folks around me switched to English and included me in their conversation, otherwise I'd've felt even more awkward than I did.

So, yeah, making sure the new faces are taken care of, either personally or asking other folks to help out, is a good thing.

My reply is from the point of view of a participant of events, and not from the point of view of an organizer. I never ever would like to organize a geocaching event nowadays as there are lots of aspects that I do not want to care of.

In case you and your wife had attended an event in my area, I would have loved to talk to both of you. What I hate, however, is to talk on an event about which GPS receivers, torches etc are recommendable, how to find cache X (this typically ends up in open spoilers) etc. I prefer topics that are more general than either the basics of geocaching for beginners or cache-talk of cachers who just want to talk 100% about geocaching.

Cezanne

I hate name tags and I certainly do not want to get around and meet necessarily everyone. In general, I prefer small events anyway. I like talk to a small number of cachers, but more intensively and not just a few sentences somehow on the surface to as many people as possible. I have never attended a event with the aim to get to learn new people.

Cezanne

haha, you did not even need to type that for us to know....

Cezanne

haha, you did not even need to type that for us to know....

I guess I have the same right right to write down my preferences than you without receiving "haha" comments. I do like to talk to certain geocachers, but just not to all of them regardless of their other interests and background. I really enjoyed most events I visited in the first years (including many meetings not organized via gc.com).

BTW: The second part of my sentence above (the part you put in bold face) is not implied by the first one. Name tags remind of professional activities and I prefer to regard geocaching as a leisure time activity. I am well able to remember the names of those I am interested into.

Cezanne

My idea of creating different event caches is to take cachers to places where one is not allowed to place caches, or is a really interesting place that requires a permit.

I took a group of hikers on a 14km hike in an area where you need a group of 12 and a permit to enter.

Today I am taking 25 cachers on a Sewer Tour under the city.

I am planning a picnic in a awesome state garden that requires a permit for entry.

All my events have people scrambling for places. Where numbers are limited, I combine it with an open venue afterwards so that no one is excluded.

Cachers generally really appreciate being taken where they usually are not allowed to go.

Today I am taking 25 cachers on a Sewer Tour under the city.

Do you check for H2S as you go? Your event sounds fun, but I don't think I'd line up for your tour unless I knew that poisonous and explosive gas that collects in sewers had been taken into consideration.

Make that a storm water drain, well ventilated by frequent manholes, guided by a reputable guide.

We had a blast! 300 year old brick tunnels can be quite impressive!!

Find something special to DO on an event cache.

Many people make a pathtag that has an image that reflects the nature of the event.

The hike to goat lake is my favorite,

beautiful art,

here's a link

http://www.pathtags.com/community/tag.php?id=18175

Cheers

jimmy