If we keep doing what we've always done...

I'm sure many of you here live in smaller areas that are, like mine, scarce on good hide locations and low saturation of caches. The annoying pattern I am seeing in this area is there is a huge division in fun caches and ones that remind you of running errands in a hurry on your lunch hour. The later of these two are beginning to pepper the map.

Don't get me wrong, new caches are good, but this situation has stirred up some pensiveness, and the silt from the once still bottom is clouding the waters. Someone tell me if this is ringing a bell:

• Pointless P&Gs
  • Sadistic hiding of micros
  • No creativity in hides or containers
  • TB / GC thieves
  • Leaving areas worse that they were found
  • No cache maintenance
  • Pointless swag, if any
  • Puzzle caches with requirements that are exclusive to veterans with thousands of finds
  • Puzzle caches made by those who can make something confusing, but not answer it simply
  • Bad attitudes from other cachers
  • Limited demographics in cachers
  • Numbers for the sake of numbers
  • Bad experiences with those who find your caches
  • Bad experiences with land / business owners and onlookers

Do any of you get to the point that planning a caching trip gets more and more depressing when you spend more time driving and querying decent caches than actually enjoying a good cache?

The hunt starts to become a fleeting novelty. The cache runs begin to seem more like working on an assembly line that you will never see the end of to know what you are actually making.

Is there a favorable outcome that can break this cycle; or will we all eventually experience the revelation that catches your attention like stubbing your toe in the dark, after getting out of bed from a mindless form of dogmatic insomnia. Then, the bittersweet moment of the throbbing pain gives way to a chance to sleep as your awareness peaks and the moment of lucidity lulls you to sleep with the thought:

Instead of stumbling in the dark looking for better quality caches, maybe it would be easier to reach for the light-switch and find a better quality hobby.

If you're still reading this, I commend you. We all see issues left unanswered; one can only hope that we will see some form of change and empowerment of others to elevate the standards of this hobby.

Any thoughts or ideas?

I will point out that some of your list are opinions, about which you will find a huge variation of responses. A good example is 'sadistic' micros. I know people who love micros, the more difficult the better, that's their first cache to go for when they have the option.

Yes, in any sufficiently large group of people, there are some you don't want to deal with. People who place generic caches without any thought, those who don't maintain, those who through either lack of knowledge or lack of care take travel bugs. However, in my relatively short time as a cacher, those negatives are far outweighed for me by the great people I've met, the places I've been as a result of caching, the great caches I've found, and the kind comments from people who have found my caches.

Sure, you can focus on the negative, but to me, it's a waste of time. I try to do what I can to be a good, responsible cacher, and when I have the chance, I try to share those values with people who are interested. And that's about all I can do, really.

Smell it. Smellllll it. Then take it.

I'm sure many of you here live in smaller areas that are, like mine, scarce on good hide locations and low saturation of caches. The annoying pattern I am seeing in this area is there is a huge division in fun caches and ones that remind you of running errands in a hurry on your lunch hour. The later of these two are beginning to pepper the map.

Don't get me wrong, new caches are good, but this situation has stirred up some pensiveness, and the silt from the once still bottom is clouding the waters. Someone tell me if this is ringing a bell:

• Pointless P&Gs
  • TB / GC thieves
  • No cache maintenance
  • Pointless swag, if any
  • Puzzle caches with requirements that are exclusive to veterans with thousands of finds
  • Puzzle caches made by those who can make something confusing, but not answer it simply

Do any of you get to the point that planning a caching trip gets more and more depressing when you spend more time driving and querying decent caches than actually enjoying a good cache?

The hunt starts to become a fleeting novelty. The cache runs begin to seem more like working on an assembly line that you will never see the end of to know what you are actually making.

Is there a favorable outcome that can break this cycle; or will we all eventually experience the revelation that catches your attention like stubbing your toe in the dark, after getting out of bed from a mindless form of dogmatic insomnia. Then, the bittersweet moment of the throbbing pain gives way to a chance to sleep as your awareness peaks and the moment of lucidity lulls you to sleep with the thought:

Instead of stumbling in the dark looking for better quality caches, maybe it would be easier to reach for the light-switch and find a better quality hobby.

If you're still reading this, I commend you. We all see issues left unanswered; one can only hope that we will see some form of change and empowerment of others to elevate the standards of this hobby.

Any thoughts or ideas?

"Any thoughts or ideas?" Yeah. If you can't post how you really feel under your own profile, you're a coward.

But thanks for the smug superior feeling.

It would have been nice if you had posted something I could use for my geocaching tree of angst.

To summarize our "Geocaching Tree of Angst" so far:

We have an atmosphere rich with CO2 that is represented by one atom of "Entitlement" ( C ) and two atoms of "Expectation." (O2) :laughing:

We have a rich medium for the growth of angst in our soil, which is represented by a common/general, "unawareness that this hobby is intrinsically linked to other people." :laughing:

The water (H2O) that nourishes the tree is either actual or perceived (H2) negative interaction (O) between geocachers. :D

Our tree is furtilized by misconception, misinterpretation, and misunderstanding (MMM) whether actual or deliberate. ;)

The roots of our tree are based in actual participation and experience in geocaching as an activity.... Hiding, finding, & moving trackables. :laughing:

The trunk of our tree emerges over time. It is actually just individual experience that expresses itself in this way, "I know better than YOU what geocaching is supposed/intended to be all about." :D

From there our "Tree of Angst" branches out in many directions. Some branches sprout from the trunk and some branches think they are attacking the trunk from the other side, but are seemingly unaware that they are part of the same tree. :laughing:

The named branches of our tree so far:

The Theory of Geocaching Evolution

Geocaching would be more fun for me, IF :laughing::huh:

Perceived Staunch Defenders of Everything Perceived Lame (P.S.D.E.P.L.)

Geocaching was so much better way back when

The Theory That It's the "OTHER GUY" Who Is Just Sucking the Fun Out of Geocaching

The Theory of Keeping with The Highly Subjective "Spirit of Geocaching"

The theory that with the ease of attaining apps for smartphone and Iphones, and a geocaching.com account "Low quality cachers" are infecting this game.

Nope. Your post doesn't have anything new.... Ummm unless you care to explain this: "Limited demographics in cachers"...??? :unsure:

Edited by Snoogans

Smell it. Smellllll it. Then take it.

• Pointless P&Gs
  • TB / GC thieves
  • No cache maintenance
  • Pointless swag, if any

Any thoughts or ideas?

"Any thoughts or ideas?" Yeah. If you can't post how you really feel under your own profile, you're a coward.

But thanks for the smug superior feeling.

It would have been nice if you had posted something I could use for my geocaching tree of angst.

To summarize our "Geocaching Tree of Angst" so far:

We have an atmosphere rich with CO2 that is represented by one atom of "Entitlement" ( C ) and two atoms of "Expectation." (O2) :laughing:

We have a rich medium for the growth of angst in our soil, which is represented by a common/general, "unawareness that this hobby is intrinsically linked to other people." :laughing:

The water (H2O) that nourishes the tree is either actual or perceived (H2) negative interaction (O) between geocachers. :D

Our tree is furtilized by misconception, misinterpretation, and misunderstanding (MMM) whether actual or deliberate. ;)

The roots of our tree are based in actual participation and experience in geocaching as an activity.... Hiding, finding, & moving trackables. :laughing:

The trunk of our tree emerges over time. It is actually just individual experience that expresses itself in this way, "I know better than YOU what geocaching is supposed/intended to be all about." :D

From there our "Tree of Angst" branches out in many directions. Some branches sprout from the trunk and some branches think they are attacking the trunk from the other side, but are seemingly unaware that they are part of the same tree. :laughing:

The named branches of our tree so far:

The Theory of Geocaching Evolution

Geocaching would be more fun for me, IF :laughing::huh:

Perceived Staunch Defenders of Everything Perceived Lame (P.S.D.E.P.L.)

Geocaching was so much better way back when

The Theory That It's the "OTHER GUY" Who Is Just Sucking the Fun Out of Geocaching

The Theory of Keeping with The Highly Subjective "Spirit of Geocaching"

The theory that with the ease of attaining apps for smartphone and Iphones, and a geocaching.com account "Low quality cachers" are infecting this game.

Nope. Your post doesn't have anything new.... Ummm unless you care to explain this: "Limited demographics in cachers"...??? :unsure:

+1

Is there a favorable outcome that can break this cycle?

Yes. It's called pocket queries.

Should we start a pool on whose hand is in this sock puppet?

Why is this allowed? :unsure:

Interesting question. I suppose it might be better to ask, "Why wouldn't this be allowed?". Just looking at the three people linked in this quote, I could guess that none of them are really who they purport to be. I know you won't find "Clan Riffster" on my birth certificate or driver's license. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one forum regular who appears to be using their actual name. The majority of us create fictional names which we log in with. Names like GOF and Bacall and Manville Possum Hunters.

Now it's true that fictional personalities such as GOFaB and MPH are considered monikers, and are an accepted practice, whilst creating another, secondary fictional personality, for the purpose of asking pointed and often snarky or controversial questions, puts one firmly in Sock Land.

But at their core, both act as barriers between who we really are and the face we present to the community. Should socks be outlawed while traditional monikers are allowed? If a sock is not used to harass or sling vitriol, is having a secondary fictional personality even a TOU violation?

Not sure... :unsure:

I find your complaint interesting. You don't like sadistic hides, but you complain about a lack of creativity. Which do you want?

This is a very wide-ranging hobby with quite varied (and frequently incompatible) aspects. Some people hate LPCs. Some love them. If you're going to continue, you need to find a way to filter out what you don't like while retaining what you do like. Many people use a utility such as GSAK to help them find the caches they like. Try it out.

If this is an attempt to convince people to change the hobby to become more in line with what you like, it will fail. It's too diverse for that. GC.com has done a pretty good job of making the web site meet people's needs, no matter how conflicting they are.

Interesting question. I suppose it might be better to ask, "Why wouldn't this be allowed?". Just looking at the three people linked in this quote, I could guess that none of them are really who they purport to be. I know you won't find "Clan Riffster" on my birth certificate or driver's license. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one forum regular who appears to be using their actual name. The majority of us create fictional names which we log in with. Names like GOF and Bacall and Manville Possum Hunters.

Now it's true that fictional personalities such as GOFaB and MPH are considered monikers, and are an accepted practice, whilst creating another, secondary fictional personality, for the purpose of asking pointed and often snarky or controversial questions, puts one firmly in Sock Land.

But at their core, both act as barriers between who we really are and the face we present to the community. Should socks be outlawed while traditional monikers are allowed? If a sock is not used to harass or sling vitriol, is having a secondary fictional personality even a TOU violation?

4. Sock puppet accounts are not permitted. A sock puppet is an account made on an internet message board by a person who already has an account for the purpose of posting anonymously. Use your own account for posting personal opinions. Posts from known sock puppet accounts may be deleted and both the puppet and actual account may be banned from using the services of Groundspeak.

B)

I have many SP accounts. I use them to to hide caches to throw off the locals who think they have me figured out. I DON'T use them to post on forums since the great Soylent Green debacle of 2003 and that was just to have some fun and not to cause trouble or bring angst into the forum. Jeremy didn't find my future predictions to be very humorous. :anibad::laughing:

I guess my point is why use a sock to communicate in the forums with? Oh, wait! I forgot about the chance of being moderated. Socks have nothing to lose, and even if they have some valid points, and this one does, they have no street cred. What is wrong with using a valid account to make valid points? How many members do we have here? Do sock puppet accounts have sock puppet accounts. :anibad:

If you can't post how you really feel under your own profile, you're a coward.

Ya know, I've often felt this way. But upon further review, I'm not sure it's true. It goes to motive. For instance, assume for argument's sake that I am Lobsterphone. (I'm not, but for now, just pretend) If I posted such a rant under my regular fictional identity, what would the repercussions be? Sure, I might anger some players who did not agree with my rant, but I've only seen a handful of folks local to me in here that could conceivably tamper with my caches in retaliation. Of those few, I doubt that any of them know where I live, on the off chance that they might wish to employ further retaliations.

So, from my perspective, the risk is very low.

Could there be something other than fear driving folks to post using their socks? While it's easy to shout "Coward" from the roof tops, is the term really applicable in this case? His rant wasn't even that controversial. Just kind of silly and pointless.

I know why I don't post using my sock. I feel that my primary fictional identity has developed a certain personality, as well as a bit of credibility within certain topics. My sock has only posted here once, and that was by accident. Were I to start posting with my sock, I would have to establish myself all over again, unless I make it known that my sock and Clan Riffster were the same person. Then, what would be the point?

Ya know, I've often felt this way. But upon further review, I'm not sure it's true. It goes to motive. For instance, assume for argument's sake that I am Lobsterphone. (I'm not, but for now, just pretend) If I posted such a rant under my regular fictional identity, what would the repercussions be? Sure, I might anger some players who did not agree with my rant, but I've only seen a handful of folks local to me in here that could conceivably tamper with my caches in retaliation. Of those few, I doubt that any of them know where I live, on the off chance that they might wish to employ further retaliations.

Could there be something other than fear driving folks to post using their socks? While it's easy to shout "Coward" from the roof tops, is the term really applicable in this case? His rant wasn't even that controversial. Just kind of silly and pointless.

I know why I don't post using my sock. I feel that my primary fictional identity has developed a certain personality, as well as a bit of credibility within certain topics. My sock has only posted here once, and that was by accident. Were I to start posting with my sock, I would have to establish myself all over again, unless I make it known that my sock and Clan Riffster were the same person. Then, what would be the point?

You should change your name to Count Pointercount. :laughing::laughing::laughing::anibad::anitongue:

Perhaps you missed the post by that odd looking fellow GOF's Sock Puppet. He was quoting from the Forum Guidelines.

4. Sock puppet accounts are not permitted. A sock puppet is an account made on an internet message board by a person who already has an account for the purpose of posting anonymously. Use your own account for posting personal opinions. Posts from known sock puppet accounts may be deleted and both the puppet and actual account may be banned from using the services of Groundspeak.

B)

Yeah, I'm familiar with that clause. Just not sure how effective it is. It almost seems contradictory, on a site that actively allows us to create fictional identities. The key word to the apparent contradiction seems to be "anonymously". My primary account is Clan Riffster. Across the Central Florida area, I am fairly well known, as I love hosting/attending events and schmoozing with other cachers. But in here, I have at least a modicum of anonymity. My posts, when read by those who don't know my real name, address, etc, could certainly be viewed as "anonymous". And even at a local level, the vast majority of players I speak with on a regular basis don't really know me, other than the fiction I present as my moniker. They don't call me Sean. They call me Clan, or Riff, or even Riffster. I've never actively kept my real identity a secret, but given the nature of this site, and its overall acceptance of fictional personalities, my moniker seems to be what folks use when interacting with me.

my moniker seems to be what folks use when interacting with me.

My realestate agent is a geocacher and long time friend. But since we met as geocachers she calls me Snoogans 99% of the time. She got some funny looks from the folks in the title office when we closed on our new house because she slipped up and called me Snoogz and Snoogans a couple of times. :laughing:

Edited by Snoogans

B)

Yeah, I'm familiar with that clause. Just not sure how effective it is. It almost seems contradictory, on a site that actively allows us to create fictional identities. The key word to the apparent contradiction seems to be "anonymously". My primary account is Clan Riffster. Across the Central Florida area, I am fairly well known, as I love hosting/attending events and schmoozing with other cachers. But in here, I have at least a modicum of anonymity. My posts, when read by those who don't know my real name, address, etc, could certainly be viewed as "anonymous". And even at a local level, the vast majority of players I speak with on a regular basis don't really know me, other than the fiction I present as my moniker. They don't call me Sean. They call me Clan, or Riff, or even Riffster. I've never actively kept my real identity a secret, but given the nature of this site, and its overall acceptance of fictional personalities, my moniker seems to be what folks use when interacting with me.

:rolleyes: I think you are just being difficult. B)

The key line is

Use your own account for posting personal opinions
. You have accepted Clan Riffster as your identity here. It is what we know you by. To post as Doc. Sock would be to hide your true forum identity. This OP has used a sock account to hide their forum identity while posting a list of topics that have long been divisive among this community.

:rolleyes: I think you are just being difficult. B)

The key line is

Use your own account for posting personal opinions

No, not really. While I do speak fluent snark, I kept my filters on for this thread. I just find myself questioning the regulations against socks, on a forum where our identities are mostly hidden. My issue may be one of semantics... Not sure. For instance, when I read your quote, I can't help but think that my sock puppet is also my own account. I created it using my own personal information, just as I did this one.

A couple other forums I participate in require real names. Having such a regulation there would make sense. But here? I dunno. Maybe not so much? :unsure: As for "hiding their forum identity", I just don't get the motivation. Had that been a real rant, I could see it. But all that silliness he posted just doesn't seem worth building a sock for.

No, I'm not planning on promoting sockhood. I won't be posting diatribes from my sock's account. I fear the consequences from Groundspeak. But I still scratch my head a bit when I consider the prohibition against them. It just seems kinda quirky to me. :unsure:

B)

:rolleyes:

C'mon, we all know why people create sock puppet accounts.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Any thoughts or ideas?

That's a recognizable posting method. Not sure if that's a clue, but it makes me think "hmmmmm...."

I have a vague idea... :ph34r:

I'm wondering if I'm having the same vague idea.

Almost certainly! :lol:

Any thoughts or ideas?

That's a recognizable posting method. Not sure if that's a clue, but it makes me think "hmmmmm...."

you have proof? :anibad:

1. In some cases, it's more effective to not know the actual fictitious identity of the OP. (a post from a sock is more effective)

2. If the OP is truly having such issues with geocaching in their area then:

a. Lead by example and show the other locals how it's done.

or

b. Don't let the screen-door hit you in the a** on your way out.

I need to go to the bathroom now, I can feel my pot being stirred...

Troll-stew for dinner! :lol:

Yours? :lol:

Seriously... to the OP, yes, unfortunately I have to agree with at least a good half of your points, if not more. I used to think that if I set a good example with my own hides, that the new cachers to come would pick up on them, and maybe even improve on them, but it hasn't worked out that way, much. The lowest common denominator hide is also the easiest hide, and that seems to be what is proliferating in my area. But I haven't given up... I keep trying to set a good example with my hides, and I know of some other local cachers that do the same. But we're not holding our breath that it will make a difference.

Insufficient solution, in a bad enough area, unless you want to drive 10-15 miles between "good" caches. But there is no better solution, unfortunately, because we can't control what other hiders do.

Any thoughts or ideas?

you have proof? :anibad:

No. (Wouldn't it be interesting if our IP addresses were publicly displayed on each post?)

You?

Or is it the same "hey, that looks familiar" feeling?

edited for another senior moment.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Really, if a hobby gets to be that demanding then it's just time to either stop or take a break.

I think some of these things, while not to be encouraged, are kind of to be expected. There is always some jerk looking to ruin it for someone else. There is always someone that is going to say you can't put something here or look suspicious when you're over there. There is always someone looking for numbers. Happens. Sorry, but it's life.

Geocaching is realistically only going to attract so many types of people. It's kind of like... I don't know, comic book stores... dungeons and dragons... chopper style motorcycles... lifted jeeps... lowriders... there's only so many types of people these things will attract. Nature of the beast. From looking through these forums, I've seen self-proclaimed senior citizens, people that are or were in the military, people from down South, people from the Northwest, high school students, preteens, people who know a lot about computers, people who don't know so much about computers. I think that's a pretty good variety.

If you don't like sadistic micros, then don't look for them. Kinda what the stars are for.

This game, like much else in life, is what you make it. If you turn it into a fun-sucking, soulless drudgery of an experience then you shouldn't expect it to get much better until you start trying find a way to make it better for yourself.

<snip>...

This game, like much else in life, is what you make it. If you turn it into a fun-sucking, soulless drudgery of an experience then you shouldn't expect it to get much better until you start trying find a way to make it better for yourself.

I travel quite a bit and yes I do find searching for caches that fit my style a drudgery. Don't get me wrong, not every cache out there should meet my expectations, but it is pretty tough when you spend much of your time searching for an area just to pull into a parking lot.

I'm not as angsty as the OP (nor am I that sock-puppet) but I wouldn't mind a tad bit more information to narrow my search parameters.

<snip>...

I travel quite a bit and yes I do find searching for caches that fit my style a drudgery. Don't get me wrong, not every cache out there should meet my expectations, but it is pretty tough when you spend much of your time searching for an area just to pull into a parking lot.

I'm not as angsty as the OP (nor am I that sock-puppet) but I wouldn't mind a tad bit more information to narrow my search parameters.

Certain things are drudgery. I hate all the preparation that goes into planning a trip, an event, or just figuring out what I need to get at the store to make it through a week. But being at my vacation destination, at my party, or knowing that I can spend the rest of the week without returning to the store makes up for it. If the game doesn't make up for prep work, then something's wrong.

Information can make figuring out what caches to grab easier, but not everyone is going to provide what is needed. No use getting tied in a knot about it like the topic opening post.

We can help each other make certain things easier (listing necessary information) but a few things are out of our hands (sadistic micros- apparently some people love 'em).

:)

Why do we keep feeding the trolls?

I don't think this is a troll. I think this is somebody pointing out a very real (to some) problem. I don't know of a solution, but admitting the problem is the start of a solution (or so they tell me, anyway). The chaff to wheat for me has reached a very annoying ratio at this point, and I am 110% sure that I am not the only one that feels that way. Your mileage may differ, but please don't doubt my mileage. Or the OP's. Thank you.

<snip>...

Certain things are drudgery. I hate all the preparation that goes into planning a trip, an event, or just figuring out what I need to get at the store to make it through a week. But being at my vacation destination, at my party, or knowing that I can spend the rest of the week without returning to the store makes up for it. If the game doesn't make up for prep work, then something's wrong.

Information can make figuring out what caches to grab easier, but not everyone is going to provide what is needed. No use getting tied in a knot about it like the topic opening post.

We can help each other make certain things easier (listing necessary information) but a few things are out of our hands (sadistic micros- apparently some people love 'em).

:)

I'm not talking about making caches easier to find. I'm talking about making the caches we want to find easier to determine. Why is that such a problem, do we think it's impossible? We have to give up too much information?

IMAO this is the state of the game today. It has changed in the short time I've been caching. As I cover my nearby urban area, I stumble on the good old timers and consider myself fortunate on that event.

As I range wider, I stumble on the small communities with different styles and usually a higher percentage of innovative or interesting hides and less plundering.

The LPCs are just count, but that's part of today's game.

"Stumble on"?? Maybe THAT'S my caching style!

When I get bored, I look for puzzles and multis, when I get count-anxiety, I look for clumps pf D1 to 1.5.

We can change what we do!!

IMAO = in my arrogant opinion

I think that someone needs a new hobby. If you are't enjoying it, then do something else.

kind of like people who troll the WWE messageboards but hate the product and want it to return to the way it was during the attitude era... sorry it's not going to happen, the only way to relive your nostalgic youth is with a time machine. :) Accept the hobby as it is or find another.

Internet forums are places to criticize though, so I have no problem with this post. Everyone has different tastes though.

Edited by sholomar

That also caught my eye when reading the post. I have only attened a few events but I have not found this to be an issue at all.