ask for travel bug to move on?

PirateKel

I have a different issue. One of our trackables, NAWWAL, has been stuck in a premium member cache for 1 year and 3 months. We have no idea if it is still in the cache or missing since it is a premium cache and we are basic members and can't see the page to read the logs to see if people are saying if it is missing or not. We've emailed the cache owner a few times over time to see if they would read the logs on the cache page to glean info about the TB and they responded the first time to say that they were actually going to go out to the cache and check it out. Never heard back from them after that and they haven't responded to our emails since then. :(

You posted a Note log on 4th April 12 asking if cachers could check if your TB NAWWAl is in the cache.

22nd April 12. Grateful cacher found the cache and posted "Headed out to get some hiking in, and get a few caches as well. This one took a few minutes (actually, more than a few minutes), but finally saw it peeking out from it's natural cammo cover. No sign of any trackables in the cache. SL, T4TH&C"

I had a quick look back through the logs after it was dropped off by CB & BB on 12 May 2011. The cache seems to be placed in a swamp and several cacher have logged notes about the water being very high... Looking through 10 Find logs to September 2011 - no one specifically mentions picking up a trackable from the cache.

I think it's definitely gone MIA.

MrsB

I have a different issue. One of our trackables, NAWWAL, has been stuck in a premium member cache for 1 year and 3 months. We have no idea if it is still in the cache or missing since it is a premium cache and we are basic members and can't see the page to read the logs to see if people are saying if it is missing or not. We've emailed the cache owner a few times over time to see if they would read the logs on the cache page to glean info about the TB and they responded the first time to say that they were actually going to go out to the cache and check it out. Never heard back from them after that and they haven't responded to our emails since then. :(

This was posted prior to your posting of a note:

Found it

03/04/2012

Did not see a TB inside.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=771695e0-2f1f-45db-966b-9216968f5732

Earlier logs talk about dumping water out of the cache.

I would guess that your trackable is long gone, one way or another.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

You posted a Note log on 4th April 12 asking if cachers could check if your TB NAWWAl is in the cache.

22nd April 12. Grateful cacher found the cache and posted "Headed out to get some hiking in, and get a few caches as well. This one took a few minutes (actually, more than a few minutes), but finally saw it peeking out from it's natural cammo cover. No sign of any trackables in the cache. SL, T4TH&C"

I had a quick look back through the logs after it was dropped off by CB & BB on 12 May 2011. The cache seems to be placed in a swamp and several cacher have logged notes about the water being very high... Looking through 10 Find logs to September 2011 - no one specifically mentions picking up a trackable from the cache.

I think it's definitely gone MIA.

MrsB

This was posted prior to your posting of a note:

Found it

03/04/2012

Did not see a TB inside.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=771695e0-2f1f-45db-966b-9216968f5732

Earlier logs talk about dumping water out of the cache.

I would guess that your trackable is long gone, one way or another.

B.

Thank you both so very much! We really appreciate finally knowing what ended up happening to our TB. Thanks again. --Dulce-Joy

Thank you both so very much! We really appreciate finally knowing what ended up happening to our TB. Thanks again. --Dulce-Joy

Editing since a couple others have beat me to your answer. I know the feeling. Our first (and only so far) TB only lasted about 7 1/2 months before disappearing. It's been over 4 months since any activity. It was only one of those free Geico Gecko TB's, but still disappointed to see it taken. Hundreds of those Geico bugs were set free long before ours and are still active today, which makes it even more disappointing that ours happens to end up in the hands of a "collector."

Edited by TL&MinBHIL

Our first (and only so far) TB only lasted about 7 1/2 months before disappearing. It's been over 4 months since any activity. It was only one of those free Geico Gecko TB's, but still disappointed to see it taken. Hundreds of those Geico bugs were set free long before ours and are still active today, which makes it even more disappointing that ours happens to end up in the hands of a "collector."

Have you tried chasing it up with emails? I wouldn't give up hope yet - there are many examples of TBs 'resting' in cachers' hands for more than 4 months before starting their travels again.

Fingers crossed!

MrsB :)

Have you tried chasing it up with emails? I wouldn't give up hope yet - there are many examples of TBs 'resting' in cachers' hands for more than 4 months before starting their travels again.

Fingers crossed!

I know what many others say...it's only a TB/GC, get over it, it's gone, buy another one. Considering we got this one for free, I know I can't complain about losing money, but it's still frustrating & disappointing. There's really no one to contact that could get me any closer. The last cacher to have their hands on it dropped it in its last known location. If they weren't being honest, kept it and falsely logged the drop, they're not going to tell me. It does me no good to contact the CO since others have already noted there are no trackables left. There are 8 trackables listed in that cache's inventory and not a single one is there, that's sad. It's been that way for months now. Coincidentally, the cache is called "Cache of Discovery" so it seems it's the perfect place for a TB collector to "discover" new additions to their collection.

Fingers crossed!

I know what many others say...it's only a TB/GC, get over it, it's gone, buy another one. Considering we got this one for free, I know I can't complain about losing money, but it's still frustrating & disappointing. There's really no one to contact that could get me any closer. The last cacher to have their hands on it dropped it in its last known location. If they weren't being honest, kept it and falsely logged the drop, they're not going to tell me. It does me no good to contact the CO since others have already noted there are no trackables left. There are 8 trackables listed in that cache's inventory and not a single one is there, that's sad. It's been that way for months now. Coincidentally, the cache is called "Cache of Discovery" so it seems it's the perfect place for a TB collector to "discover" new additions to their collection.

When I looked back at the cache logs when your TB was dropped off, I noticed a couple of newer cachers logged it next. You could try sending them very gentle emails saying things like, "I'm just trying to trace...Do you recall seeing?... Did you possibly pick up?..." etc. Sometime cachers just need a bit of a nudge reminder about trackables they have in a bag somewhere. ;)

MrsB

When I looked back at the cache logs when your TB was dropped off, I noticed a couple of newer cachers logged it next. You could try sending them very gentle emails saying things like, "I'm just trying to trace...Do you recall seeing?... Did you possibly pick up?..." etc. Sometime cachers just need a bit of a nudge reminder about trackables they have in a bag somewhere. ;)

MrsB

Ah yes, now I'm picking up what you're putting down. :anibad:

From the time it was dropped to the time someone said there were no more trackables left was less than a month. Not many logged it between that time, so one of them must have kidnapped our Gecko! I'm going in guns blazing and demanding they return our TB. :laughing: Just kidding. The 2 newer cachers haven't been active for a few months, but it's worth a shot to see if they even saw it. According to their profile, they each have one trackable logged, but both of those trackables are still in circulation, so they at least know how the process works. I'll drop them a polite email and see what turns up, if anything. Thanks for the advice.

I am one of the offenders of this "rule". I jut recently dropped a bug I picked up 10 months ago. Between the birth of my second child, never having the time anymore, and work, I forgot . When I did remember, it was during work which i do some travelling, but in clothes I can't mess up. So when I would look at the caches near me, they were too far into wooded areas. Finally I happened to find a large cache near a road and dropped the thing off. I apologized to the TB owner who had emailed me at the 9 month mark. She has many TB's to keep her busy. I will no longer pick up a TB or coin unless i know I can drop it off soon. I hope I can find the time to get into this hobby, it is fun, and I would like to take my kids along.