ask for travel bug to move on?

PirateKel

I have a travel bug - ( http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3852283 -- so you can see) - it has a goal to travel to beach areas.... especially a specific one. The second person that picked it up said that they were going to be taking it to the general area. I got excited, of course. But They havent gone yet - I know this because they have taken it to like 30 caches in their home area. I have contacted them because I want to know when and IF they are still going to the area. They havent responded. Should I wait or send them a message telling them to just drop it off so that someone else can pick it up? Its not a super long time in the grand scheme of things, but they picked it up on Dec 31 - so they have had it for a week and a half. Any opinions?

I'd say be patient for a bit longer.

The general guidance is that cachers should try to move travel bugs along to another cache within 3 weeks - At least this cacher is keeping your TB moving around so you know it's not been forgotten. From their initial log it seems their intentions are good - I would have waited a bit longer before contacting them about it. If it hasn't been dropped off in Southern California by the end of February it might be worth asking again for some idea when they're heading that way.

MrsB :)

Edited by The Blorenges

ok thanks.

but for the record it is my first travel bug and I wasnt sure.

When I picked up my first tb I checked info and I could have sworn that it said like within a week, so I made sure to drop it off as soon as I found a cache that was big enough. Anyway, I didnt see any info about that so I just wanted to know. I was just asking people's opinion.

Edited by PirateKel

Snoogans' TB longevity strategy #5. If you must email a TB holder to do anything other than thank them, DO NOT give an order, or be even the slightest bit negative. Sugar coat every word. Do not transfer your standards and expectations to another person. Unless you are related, you do not really KNOW their situation.

These kinds of stories get talked about at events. Things like I'm gonna (X-Y-Z) that bug if I ever run across it again get said over a few beers. Makes ya think.... ;)

When I picked up my first tb I checked info and I could have sworn that it said like within a week, so I made sure to drop it off as soon as I found a cache that was big enough.

It's great to move a TB quickly. I usually don't pick one up without a plan of where I'll soon place it.

You could edit your TB's page to say it likes to move FAST. But the only one of mine where I wrote specifically that it was urgent to get to South Africa, with two bright red info tags on the bug itself, that TB died and went to bug heaven before ever moving at all. <_<

If you write to someone from their profile page, include your email address. Or at least suggest they reply on your profile message page. People sometimes hit "reply" and don't notice their email is going to the "noreply@geocaching.com" dead letter office. It's kind of a problem.

Edited by kunarion

When we talk to cachers about moving bugs typically the advice is 'no longer than two-three weeks otherwise contact the owner. Most are pretty cool about it if they know their bug hasn't been forgotten.'

When we talk to cachers about owning bugs 'Give it three months before concerning yourself. Even then there might be a very good reason why they haven't moved it yet. If you get upset about it then you need to rethink the life of a bug'.

It stinks completely but if you manage your expectations there's less angst. I prefer the many bug method. I might not hear from one for over three months but a few still write home from time to time.

Edited to mention that you have owners who just have to have that cacher drop that bug! then it sits in the cache for the next three months. Someone picks it up - "You have to drop off that bug as soon as possible!!!" Sits for another three months.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I doubt that they meant -- 'I am going to the beach tomorrow and will make dropping your bug my first priority!'

I would interpret their statement as 'I have a trip planned to the beach in a few months, I can hold onto your bug and try to help with its goal.'

So relax, it sounds like your bug is in good hands and has a future trip planned. Wait a few months and then maybe contact them and inquire about their trip if your bug still has not been placed.

One of my Travel Bugs was held by a cacher for 16 months. A few days ago they dropped it in a cache without logging it; the cacher who picked it up logged only a "Discover" and dropped it in another cache--without logging it. Finally today, no it's yesterday now, someone picked it up and logged the "Grab." So happy to see the TB back in circulation.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1667765

You have to be patient with travel bugs... Don't expect them to be moving every second day, and when they have been picked up allow some time for the geocacher to place them again - not everyone caches every day, or even every week...

If it has a specific mission, I would also allow some extra leeway for that - if i find a travel bug with a mission to get to x, and I know I am going to be going there next month, it would make sense to many to take a bit longer than the typical to help its mission more.

In your case the geocacher who has it is logging it through other caches they are visiting, which would say to me that they are taking care of the bug and have a specific plan for it, and have not just forgotten about it.

The first bug I put out last summer is still in the hands of the first person to find it - someone who has found a decent amount of caches, and she has logged it as a visitor to show it hasn't been forgotten about, so I am happy to see where it ends up...

ok thanks.

When I picked up my first tb I checked info and I could have sworn that it said like within a week, so I made sure to drop it off as soon as I found a cache that was big enough. Anyway, I didnt see any info about that so I just wanted to know. I was just asking people's opinion.

ok thanks.

re-opened lol

so what about now..... it has been in his possession now from 12-31-11 to 2-15-12 so far. He did his travels. He did contact me to tell me that he forgot to take it with him. That was 2-8. Sine then he has taken it by 12 caches. I have done some watching and all of the caches he has been to in that time were either micro (so it obviously wouldnt fit), were premium (I am not a premium member so I cant see info) or didnt specify the size. When is it enough already? I want it to TRAVEL... hence being a TRAVEL bug. But I dont want him to get all angry and trash it. I have jokingly told a fellow cacher that I should look at all the caches in his area and send him a message saying which one is big enough, so please take it there. Then I thought... hmm.... should I or shouldnt I?

Again...

Patience = virtue

Pushy-ness = nearest trash can

Repeatedly seeking out another cacher trying to get them to do what 'you' want = 'paid vacation' from geocaching.com

Once you let the TB go from your hands, you put it in the hands of others. You should not, cannot, must not apply your standards to how they enjoy their game.

If he said that he forgot to take it with him, so be it. That stuff happens. Since his reply to you, it has been one whole week! Life goes on, he probably has a job, family, sick kids, school functions, overtime, u-name-it!

Here's my suggestion, and it is given in earnest -- put together some more Travel Bugs (3 - 5 or more) and send them out.

This does a number of things for you:

1) it divides your attention;

2) you discover some move good, some don't;

3) some immediately disappear altogether;

4) whatever control factor you attempt to place on others' activities simply doesn't work, many times it backfires;

5) believe it or not -- it actually helps you to relax a bit.

Like I said.... he has been to quite a few caches since then so its not like he is too busy to take it... and also.. quoted from http://www.geocaching.com/track/travelbugfaq.aspx

'If you plan on holding onto the bug for more than 2 weeks, make sure to send a courtesy email to the owner letting them know.'

He contacted me after I contacted him. I asked him to please drop it in a cache locally to him. That was one week... so fine, I will go by the geocaching.com info and let it go for 2 weeks AFTER that.

If at all possible, I would like to get an opinion from a Groundspeak 'official'

That was 2-8. Sine then he has taken it by 12 caches. I have done some watching and all of the caches he has been to in that time were either micro (so it obviously wouldnt fit), were premium (I am not a premium member so I cant see info) or didnt specify the size.

Looking at the caches that your bug has visited since the 8th there is only one cache in question that it may fit since the size isn't listed. Looking at the overhead for that one it looks like an area that would easily be muggled so if it were me I wouldn't want a bug dropped there. It'll just disappear all together most likely. All the others are micros or too small for a bug.

Sometimes if I have a bug or coin in my posession that needs to be dropped and I visit a cache that it would fit in I may not drop it there. I usually take into account the possibility of the traveller getting stolen or muggled. If they tend to disappear from that cache then I won't drop another one there so that it can disappear too. I may end up holding onto a traveller longer then expected so that it can be safe and live another day. All my bugs have disappeared since cachers drop them in areas where it's known for travellers to disappear. I won't do that to another cacher. The cacher holding onto yours may be respecting the bugs safety.

That was 2-8. Sine then he has taken it by 12 caches. I have done some watching and all of the caches he has been to in that time were either micro (so it obviously wouldnt fit), were premium (I am not a premium member so I cant see info) or didnt specify the size.

Looking at the caches that your bug has visited since the 8th there is only one cache in question that it may fit since the size isn't listed. Looking at the overhead for that one it looks like an area that would easily be muggled so if it were me I wouldn't want a bug dropped there. It'll just disappear all together most likely. All the others are micros or too small for a bug.

Sometimes if I have a bug or coin in my posession that needs to be dropped and I visit a cache that it would fit in I may not drop it there. I usually take into account the possibility of the traveller getting stolen or muggled. If they tend to disappear from that cache then I won't drop another one there so that it can disappear too. I may end up holding onto a traveller longer then expected so that it can be safe and live another day. All my bugs have disappeared since cachers drop them in areas where it's known for travellers to disappear. I won't do that to another cacher. The cacher holding onto yours may be respecting the bugs safety.

good point(s)..... I can just assume now that he is waiting for the safest cache to put it in :)

It's moving and racking up miles, that's the purpose, who cares if only one person is holding it...

Better than it sitting in one cache for months or disappearing completely. I don't understand why you are so riled up...

It might be worth mentioning that the OP's bug is a real nice one. I wish it long travels, but my "real nice" TBs left the game pronto -- but you can bring them back into the game, and I've recently revived two of mine after each was dead for a year. And couple of mine are on that Spam Ride of cache-to-cache "visits", and I can at least enjoy them getting some extra action for a while. Yes, if I try I can believe the TBs are truly still in someone's hand and traveling, and all is well.

And, some people place their favorite found Trackables in a binder to keep, and "Track them" for you. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.

Edited by kunarion

How would you handle this problem- A cacher picked up one of our geocoins in June of 2011. He takes it to caches all the time but never drops it in one. There are about 40 pages of his moving taking it to cache after cache, it is nice that it is getting milage but really....to never drop it?? :unsure:

You could look at recent caches it's visited, and find one nearby that looks like a good one to place a coin into. Then write to the cacher (upbeat and friendly like) and mention that by a Very Lucky Coincidence he's very close to [Cache Y], it's really kind of a goal for that coin, and how excited you are about that prospect, and would he please drop the coin there and make a log about the achievement! Then make a log note thanking him for all the help.

...worth a shot?

Edited by kunarion

Ok so here is my confusion / frusteration ...people say to me "It's moving and racking up miles, that's the purpose, who cares if only one person is holding it" when my TB has a GOAL that it is NOT achieving...... yet usyoopers is told (which I would agree with) to ask them to drop it somewhere. What is the difference there?.

Again.... if there are "rules" shouldnt people follow them? I know I do.

When I picked up my first tb I checked info and I could have sworn that it said like within a week, so I made sure to drop it off as soon as I found a cache that was big enough.

It's great to move a TB quickly. I usually don't pick one up without a plan of where I'll soon place it.

You could edit your TB's page to say it likes to move FAST. But the only one of mine where I wrote specifically that it was urgent to get to South Africa, with two bright red info tags on the bug itself, that TB died and went to bug heaven before ever moving at all. <_<

If you write to someone from their profile page, include your email address. Or at least suggest they reply on your profile message page. People sometimes hit "reply" and don't notice their email is going to the "noreply@geocaching.com" dead letter office. It's kind of a problem.

funny thing.... I swear that this post did not show up to me until just now. I have edited the page to be a little more specific. I am just waiting to see if they do anything with it this weekend. I have noticed that the caches they have been to lately have been micro - or not specified. Obviously it has to fit.

this is what I added -- PLEASE practice Travel Bug etiquette and hold on to my bug for no more than 2 weeks. Should there be a reason that you would want or need to hold on to it longer, please, as stated in Travel Bug Faqs, contact me to let me know the reason and length of time. Should there be a reason for me to request for you to drop it into a cache, I would be much obliged if you do so WITHIN a week.

Ok so here is my confusion / frusteration ...people say to me "It's moving and racking up miles, that's the purpose, who cares if only one person is holding it" when my TB has a GOAL that it is NOT achieving...... yet usyoopers is told (which I would agree with) to ask them to drop it somewhere. What is the difference there?.

The difference in our case is that the cacher has been carrying our geocoin around for 8 months. I agree that people should try to get them back out into the wild in a timely fashion, at times in your life other things may come up...winter can dampen your caching habits, health problems, family issues. This paticular person (for us) has been taking the geocoin on all kinds of caching trips, they just don't drop it :huh:

I would agree that you should get some more travelors out there, the more you have the odds are better to get some good logs from some of them. We have over 150 TB's/geocoins out there, lots go missing but then again they will show back up again when you least expect it!

I have written a note to the cacher involved with our coin, we'll see what happens. :huh:

In your case the geocacher who has it is logging it through other caches they are visiting, which would say to me that they are taking care of the bug and have a specific plan for it, and have not just forgotten about it.

The first bug I put out last summer is still in the hands of the first person to find it - someone who has found a decent amount of caches, and she has logged it as a visitor to show it hasn't been forgotten about, so I am happy to see where it ends up...

How would you handle this problem- A cacher picked up one of our geocoins in June of 2011. He takes it to caches all the time but never drops it in one. There are about 40 pages of his moving taking it to cache after cache, it is nice that it is getting milage but really....to never drop it?? :unsure:

It's also possible that this cacher might be using a smartphone to cache and there is a setting so that any TB you have in your inventory will automatically post a "visited" log when you log the cache with your phone. Just speculating. Sometimes you have to wonder if they even have the bug anymore and it's not all just ghost logging.

I have a bunch of bugs out there. I don't keep particular track of them other than to periodically go through the logs and color in my map at home of different states they visit but I don't get all angsty over it. I had a cacher holding on to one of my bugs forever dipping it. I didn't care.

Honestly I found a bug that had demands on it's page dictating when I must drop it it's going into the first cache I see even if I think there's a good chance the bug will get stolen or the cache will be muggled because the last thing I'm going to do is have an emotional bug owner trying to tell me how I should be caching essentially. People do have lives outside of caching. I can cache once or twice a week and if the weather isn't ok forget it. This may mean I hold on to a bug longer than a week or so. I know people have taken my bugs on vacation with them. This may mean they hold on to them longer as well. Some of my bugs have specific goals. They may get there and they may not get there but hopefully they have a journey in between. It is what it is.

a bug that had demands on it's page dictating when I must drop it it's going into the first cache I see

If I tried to cover all the non-etiquette ways cachers handle Trackables, the page would have several paragraphs of instructions. But if it causes the cacher to place the bug into the next cache, that might be worthwhile.

well yesterday he told me that he was going to travel again and drop it somewhere. so far he has gone to one cache big enough since he told me that and unless he forgot to log it, he didnt drop it. But that is okay because I asked him to drop it over the weekend. It has just begun :)

oh and by the way.... he has been caching this whole time. weather, health etc has not been an issue.

I am not going to worry about it til Monday morning

well yesterday he told me that he was going to travel again and drop it somewhere. so far he has gone to one cache big enough since he told me that and unless he forgot to log it, he didnt drop it. But that is okay because I asked him to drop it over the weekend. It has just begun :)

oh and by the way.... he has been caching this whole time. weather, health etc has not been an issue.

Yeah, I think I'm reaching my limit on this on as well.

Yeah, I think I'm reaching my limit on this on as well.

My thoughts.

a bug that had demands on it's page dictating when I must drop it it's going into the first cache I see

If I tried to cover all the non-etiquette ways cachers handle Trackables, the page would have several paragraphs of instructions. But if it causes the cacher to place the bug into the next cache, that might be worthwhile.

Not necessarily worthwhile. There are many frequently muggled caches and caches where travel bugs seem to just go poof and vanish. I would rather have my bug put into a cache the cacher thought was safe versus the next cache out there personally. I would have absolutely no qualms about dropping a bug in a cache that was a travel bug vacuum if the bug owner was one to get all in a knot about how quickly I need to drop it.

I would have absolutely no qualms about dropping a bug in a cache that was a travel bug vacuum if the bug owner was one to get all in a knot about how quickly I need to drop it.

I agree that it's bad to keep bugging people to place a TB. But I'm formulating some rules to attach to my TB. One rule is "leave it in the cache if you can't move it quickly". Someone who reads that, then deliberately mismanages my TB due to "too many rules" would really tick me off. Present company excluded, of course. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion
The difference in our case is that the cacher has been carrying our geocoin around for 8 months.

I feel your pain. One of our coins was carried around by a cacher for over a year. No logs, no response to emails, but the person's cache ID showed them to be active.

I eventually wrote the coin off as stolen and changed the name of it to STOLEN, so when this person looked at their inventory, they'd see they have a stolen coin listed in it. About 2 weeks ago, I received notification that the cacher dropped the coin into an upcoming event. Then between the email notice and the event, they went back and dipped the coin into numerous caches (about 3 pages worth) over the course of the year they had it. The coin has now been logged by another cacher and is back traveling (yay!!).

I wonder if this is some new thing - cachers keeping TBs/GCs for long periods of time and just dipping them all around. I'm not sure I like it but I'd rather see the coin or bug moving at least. What I can't forgive is the complete lack of response to my emails about what was going on with our coin, leading us to believe it was lost or stolen, when obviously the cacher had a plan for it. Why not just tell us what the plan is and avoid all the angst? :blink:

oh never mind. I just assumed that having "rules" or guidelines, we are expected to follow them. Just nevermind. I will see if it ever moves.

I just wanted more than someone's opinion.

You have been getting the advantage of several very experienced cachers' knowledge.

Just what more did you expect to happen--Groundspeak to shut down their account?

I would have absolutely no qualms about dropping a bug in a cache that was a travel bug vacuum if the bug owner was one to get all in a knot about how quickly I need to drop it.

I agree that it's bad to keep bugging people to place a TB. But I'm formulating some rules to attach to my TB. One rule is "leave it in the cache if you can't move it quickly". Someone who reads that, then deliberately mismanages my TB due to "too many rules" would really tick me off. Present company excluded, of course. :anicute:

Now you're assuming people research the bugs in a cache prior to picking them up. For me I go pick up the bugs and look at the pages when I get home since the list of bugs in caches is an absolute nightmare mess at this point. No point in even looking at them because you never know what you'll actually find there. I could, in theory, pick up your bug and not know your rules for your bug and be stuck with this thing. I would like to put it in an appropriate cache where it won't get stolen. I'd probably even note on in my log when I log the bug that I'm going to move it as soon as I can find a safe/secure cache. I probably will dip it into relevant caches to it's goal if it has one and probably will take pictures of it on our journey together and post them with notes or logs. But if there's some artificial pressure that I need to drop that bug in a certain amount of time, it will be going into the absolute first bug vacuum I find just so I don't have to get harassing e-mails. Not that you'd harass me but how many times on this forum alone do we see people send e-mail after e-mail to people holding their bugs. One e-mail I get but time and time again is too much.

Honestly I have a bunch of bugs out there travelling at this point and I haven't really looked at any one of them now for a little bit. If I got as worked up as the OP has about all those bugs, especially the ones gone missing, I'd probably have had made myself sick about it.

As others have suggested, I think the OP needs to release a few more TBs, maybe send a few off to other states/countries to start their travels, spread them about a bit. :)

That way there's always something moving around.

Here's a good deal to get started: 10 unique trackable tags for $25... then take the gamble, release them all, have some fun... and relax!

MrsB

I also have a very nice TB:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1668221

It is in the hands of n.vielleicht. since 05/31/2011 now - so since 14 months :(.

I wrote her three times now. Shr never responds but seems to be aktive in geocaching.

What can I do? It's really unfair. Especially as my TB Willy Wanderer has a brother Walter who misses him so much.

You can't do any more - sorry :(

As she was a fairly new cacher at that time, and your TB seems to be the only one she's ever retrieved, I do wonder whether perhaps she did drop it off into another cache but didn't log it correctly to show the drop off... and it has since gone missing from the cache wherever she dropped it. Just a possibility. That doesn't excuse her not responding to your enquiries though.

It's now been over a year so you could release a replacement smurf on the same tracking number if you wish, but be prepared to pull one of the two from travelling if the original Willy starts moving again.

MrsB :)

The difference in our case is that the cacher has been carrying our geocoin around for 8 months. I agree that people should try to get them back out into the wild in a timely fashion, at times in your life other things may come up...winter can dampen your caching habits, health problems, family issues. This paticular person (for us) has been taking the geocoin on all kinds of caching trips, they just don't drop it :huh:

I would agree that you should get some more travelors out there, the more you have the odds are better to get some good logs from some of them. We have over 150 TB's/geocoins out there, lots go missing but then again they will show back up again when you least expect it!

I have written a note to the cacher involved with our coin, we'll see what happens. :huh:

Yes I too am having a problem with a geocacher who appears to have my travel bug, wont reply to my nice (up til now) requests to move it on and has held it for a year. They are still actively caching so I can only presume that they have stolen it. 'imallright' is the person, glad they are cos I'm flammin' annoyed about it. :mad: as it is one of a set of 4 I would like to see them all travel not have one die annonymously. :blink:

I have a different issue. One of our trackables, NAWWAL, has been stuck in a premium member cache for 1 year and 3 months. We have no idea if it is still in the cache or missing since it is a premium cache and we are basic members and can't see the page to read the logs to see if people are saying if it is missing or not. We've emailed the cache owner a few times over time to see if they would read the logs on the cache page to glean info about the TB and they responded the first time to say that they were actually going to go out to the cache and check it out. Never heard back from them after that and they haven't responded to our emails since then. :(