Leap day

Roman!

February 29, 2012 will be only the third time geocachers wiill have the opportunity to find a cache for this calendar day so I'm sure many, many geocachers will be out and about.

Besides a leap year, frogs also leap, wouldn't this be a great tie-in into a leap souvenir?

Edited by Roman!

I'm actually gearing up to compensate for the leapsecond, coming midnight on June 30th. You can get more info at: wired.com. Although GPS time is currently offset from UTC and other commonly used local time zones by 15 seconds, most people will never notice when another second has been added to the time scale at the end of June. Your GPS actually displays UTC (Universal Coordinated Time or Universel Temps Coordonné in french) corrected for local time zones so you don't see this 15 second difference.

Those of us who have atomic based time standards that are accurate to parts per billion or better (yes, there are quite a few), will see the difference and I'm sure a number of them will be videotaping their GPS satellite controlled clocks change when the second is added. Time-Nuts are more geekier than geocachers!

:D :D

February 29, 2012 will be only the third time geocachers wiill have the opportunity to find a cache for this calendar day so I'm sure many, many geocachers will be out and about.

Besides a leap year, frogs also leap, wouldn't this be a great tie-in into a leap souvenir?

I published 2 caches on the first leap day in geocaching history. Leap Frogs (now archived) & Quantum Leap which is still active and prints out to over 800 pages. :)

Just heard on Podcacher...they were interviewing Brian at Groundspeak and he said they are planning on doing a leap year souvenir.

I wonder if it will be retroactive? I cached on the last leap year day (although I didn't realize it at the time). I wasn't planning on making a special trip out to cache again on that day, although I have heard a rumour that a local will be hosting an event on leap year day, so I may be fine.

Edited by Ambrosia

It's been suggested before...

and it's been rejected before...

According to the latest Groundspeak Newsletter, folks who find a cache on Feb. 29 will see a new souvenir. Doesn't look like it will be retroactive.

It's about time someone listened to me, god knows my wife and kids don't.

Edited by Roman!

Found two caches on 02/29/2008 and didn't think anything of the "special" date. May decide to go find one this year so I can have finds on two of the three possible 02/29 days so far.

This discussion got me wondering, so a quick check of my stats page showed I have 2 finds on Feb. 29. Guess I will have to be sure to grab one this year for your reason as well. Good luck.

or host an event and cache all day.

That's what I'm doin'. Taking the whole day off to cache! Told my boss about a month ago...hee hee :)

Good for you and thanks for promoting our game!

I promote...only thing is...all my co-workers just think I'm nuts! haha

That's okay though...leaves more caches for me and no one will ask for the same crazy days off that I do! Tee Hee ;)

or host an event and cache all day.

That's what I'm doin'. Taking the whole day off to cache! Told my boss about a month ago...hee hee :)

Us too. Taking the day off to cache and hosting an event in the evening. :)

I think I saw that event! ;)

Come on out. Everyone is really nice and easy to talk to.

I wish I could but by the time my son gets out of school and I get on the road it will take us a few hours to get there with all the traffic. And then there is school and work the next morning. :( Please let me know when you all have a weekend event. You sound fun!!

I'm minorly annoyed because I will be on shift in the Middle of Nowhere, Holland that day, so no special event for me. :(

Also paranoid cause the only cache in the area that isn't a 20 step multi or some such is one that I have DNF'd once or twice, but am more confident about finding it now after talking to another cacher (I got to the final stage correctly, but didn't find the hiding spot itself). Fingers crossed!

Edited by Andromeda321

I have school that day, and I can't miss any more school without accruing a fine.

I was planning on finding a cache that day, but according to an event listing Groundspeak is giving a souvenir to anyone who attends a leap year event.

I might be able to hurry along to an event and get in the last 30 minutes.

It will really be quite ridiculous so I want to make sure my logic is sound.

Where did Groundspeak officially announce this?

I merged a new thread into an existing one about the same subject.

Quoting the announcement from a recent Groundspeak newsletter:

In the 11 years and 9 months since the first geocache was placed, there is single date on which only a small fraction of geocachers have ever logged a cache. We suspect that's because this particular date has only happened twice in geocaching history; it's February 29, also known as leap day.

Given our penchant for all things that leap (frogs, horses, excited geocachers), we wanted to mark the third leap day in geocaching history — February 29, 2012 — by seeing how many accounts can log a cache that day.

Last February 29, way back in 2008, 36,696 distinct accounts logged an "Attended" or "Found it" on a cache. Given the growth of the geocaching community since then, we think we can double that number this year. But 73,392 distinct accounts logging a cache is a lofty goal; it's the second highest number of accounts to log a cache in a single day. The current record, 78,313, was set on 10/10/10. Considering that 10/10/10 was a Sunday and February 29 will be a Wednesday, it is going to require a huge push to reach our goal.

So, talk to your fellow geocachers, your friends, and your co-workers about going geocaching (and logging their find) on February 29. In order to count toward the goal, people only have to log a single cache.

Everyone who logs a "Found it" or "Attended" this February 29 will receive the Leap Day Souvenir on their profile. As an added bonus, Premium Members who love to look at their "finds by date" statistics most likely see a blank square on the calendar on February 29. This is your chance to fill in the square —the 366th day of geocaching!

I have school that day, and I can't miss any more school without accruing a fine.

I was planning on finding a cache that day, but according to an event listing Groundspeak is giving a souvenir to anyone who attends a leap year event.

I might be able to hurry along to an event and get in the last 30 minutes.

It will really be quite ridiculous so I want to make sure my logic is sound.

I'm sort of wondering the same thing, and am also in a similar boat as Coldgears.

Edit: (I'm wondering this)

In the Groundspeak newsletter back on January 18th.

Newsletter archive is here:

http://blog.geocaching.com/category/groundspeaks-weekly-newsletter/

B

Found two caches on 02/29/2008 and didn't think anything of the "special" date.

I was just having this discussion with Mrs. DanOCan last night. We've done caches on leap day in 2004 and 2008, purely by coincidence not design. In neither of those years do I remember anyone caring or making a big deal out of it like they are this year.

Quoting the announcement from a recent Groundspeak newsletter:

In the 11 years and 9 months since the first geocache was placed, there is single date on which only a small fraction of geocachers have ever logged a cache. We suspect that's because this particular date has only happened twice in geocaching history; it's February 29, also known as leap day.

Given our penchant for all things that leap (frogs, horses, excited geocachers), we wanted to mark the third leap day in geocaching history — February 29, 2012 — by seeing how many accounts can log a cache that day.

Given this announcement, when will Geocaching.Com make an announcement as to what the outcome was????

Given this announcement, when will Geocaching.Com make an announcement as to what the outcome was????

They've been constantly updating the Latitude 47 blog post with the numbers. The thing is, this number will keep changing, probably for years. Some people will forget to log, some will log a few weeks late, some don't log their caches until years later. As of 2:30 yesterday, the count was 83,516.

They've been constantly updating the Latitude 47 blog post with the numbers. The thing is, this number will keep changing, probably for years. Some people will forget to log, some will log a few weeks late, some don't log their caches until years later. As of 2:30 yesterday, the count was 83,516.

When will the Souvenir be awarded?

When will the Souvenir be awarded?

You should have received it already. You might want to send an email to contact@geocaching.com - they should (eventually) be able to assign the souvenir to your account.

Out of curiosity, when you logged your Leap Day find did do the logging directly on the web site, or through an app? And did you do the actual logging on the 29th itself, or on the day after?

Out of curiosity, when you logged your Leap Day find did do the logging directly on the web site, or through an app? And did you do the actual logging on the 29th itself, or on the day after?

I'd bet that they logged through the app, but it logged as the wrong day. They then went back in and edited their log to the correct date. You wouldn't receive the souvenir in this scenario.

@cheetahella: Like cache_test_dummies suggested, send an email to contact@geocaching.com and they can manually add the souvenir for you.