loading cache gpx to gps

alligatorsnz

New to a premium membership, when i save caches to my gps - ie: send the gpx file - i cant seem to include the cache clues.. the file seems to have the information and the logs only but not the clue text that is in between.. frankly i would rather do with out the logs and keep the clue - is there are set up i have missed??

thanks but for that.... i did look at Pocket Queries, maybe i am confused but they didn't seem to give me the control to choose which caches i wanted when.. ie: load up a specific bunch for a an caching outing in a particular area, rather i get the impression it just chucks you all the caches in a certain radius of the type you like- which given i use my gps for other navigation purposes is not so friendly on memory?

hence i was using send to - so i could pick and choose those relevant to the location? or did i get that wrong>

thanks but for that.... i did look at Pocket Queries, maybe i am confused but they didn't seem to give me the control to choose which caches i wanted when.. ie: load up a specific bunch for a an caching outing in a particular area, rather i get the impression it just chucks you all the caches in a certain radius of the type you like- which given i use my gps for other navigation purposes is not so friendly on memory?

hence i was using send to - so i could pick and choose those relevant to the location? or did i get that wrong>

You can, in a sense, pick & choose with a PQ. Not on an individual basis, but by size, type, active/inactive, hidden before/after dates, difficult/terrain ratings...

Another thing to do is limit the size/area for the PQ. Instead of 1000 cache PQ each and every time, run it for a given radius (say a mile, rather than 100 miles) or a certain number within that certain radius.

Hey, it's there for you to use, you are paying for it. You can (should) play with them and see what different things you can do. Don't like the results? Don't load it to the GPSr.

You can also run a PQ from a route, rather than a radius. You can narrow the route width (radius from the road) down to feet from the centerline.

As suggested, other programs will allow you to pick & choose before loading it to the unit.

Perhaps you are a user that can use up the memory of your unit, but those users are relatively few and far between. I think yours will hold 5,000 caches/waypoints -- and that is a lot! Don't forget, when done with them (found them all or not), dump that PQ whenever you want. The info goes stale (new caches, archivals, disables) after a while anyway. A month is about as long as one would want to keep PQ info loaded anyway.

You are missing a golden opportunity if you aren't using PQ's, by radius and/or routes.

As I said, play with them. You may well be surprised on how you can control just what you want to load. Your unit has an awful lot of memory to use -- not to mention SD cards, as you aren't limited to (memory) size and numbers.

ok, did try the PQ out and you are right they are very useful - and i could choose a location by using a gc code in the area as a centre..

however i found even after i received the PQ in my email - so i downloaded and opened the file in gsak - only to find that all though the clue is now here - its still encrypted.. its going to be a major pain to go through and decypt them all! what am i doing wrong still?

i was also surprised to find that i cant seem to do a PQ when i need it- but have to wait some time for it to arrive in the email? so now it looks like have to pre plan.. even more..?

i was also surprised to find that i cant seem to do a PQ when i need it- but have to wait some time for it to arrive in the email? so now it looks like have to pre plan.. even more..?

Sheeeesh.... contrary to popular belief you are NOT the only cacher trying to get a PQ at any one point in time. It takes a bit of time for the computer(s) to go through the database and pull out what you want all while running other PQs for others. Having to wait a few minutes is a small thing in the big scope of it all.

seems you don't remember when you were new to the systems and some one might have helped you - thanks for nothing mate... now where did it tell me that it wasn't just a website search.. or that it would take all day to arrive - and while we now have the clue included in the information we still cant read it.. now remind me why i took the bait and up graded to premium.. seems i was getting with no difficult as a basic member.. ( oh and people seemed friendlier then too)

and while we now have the clue included in the information we still cant read it

To have GSAK automatically decrypt hints, do the following:

-Go to Tools > Options

-Click on the "HTML" tab

-In the top-left section of the window, there's a setting "Decode hints". I thought it was enabled by default, but it sounds like it's probably unticked for you. Tick it to get GSAK to automatically decrypt the hints.

You may also want to tick "Decode encrypted logs" so you can read those more easily.

You may not realize all the benefits of premium membership right away, but over time you'll realize how much easier some things are. Give it some time, and keep caching!

GSAK is a fantastic bit of kit, but sometimes it can be a bit daunting to try and find what is what at first...stick with it though and you will be rewarded. Also check out the macros...you can do just about anything with time :)

Like the A Team says I though the decrypt hints was enabled by default as I don't ever remember changing it.

Remember though to limit the number of caches you download (in the options when you transfer) to the 62, I think it's 5000. You can also clear the old ones before downloading in the same settings box :)

I have the 62sc. I did a Pocket Query, and saved the file to the unit. I go into the Geochache menu option, select a cache to hunt, and start the GPS to track. Once it is tracking, I hit menu/View Geocache. It gives you a slew of info on the cache, including the hint.

Being a n00b myself, I don't know what GSAK is, so I don't think I followed the steps A-team describes.

The 62s can hold up to 2000 (or is it 5000) caches so it will cover a wide area!

The other posts seem to have answered the other issue, but I wanted to comment on this point. From what I have found, the 62s is indeed limited to 2,000 caches when you put the GPX files in internal memory. But, if instead you put the GPX files on the SD card, there appears to be no limit (or if there is, it's greater than 10,000 caches which is the most I've tried). But don't put the files in both places; it will only read the SD card in that case.

I have the 62sc. I did a Pocket Query, and saved the file to the unit. I go into the Geochache menu option, select a cache to hunt, and start the GPS to track. Once it is tracking, I hit menu/View Geocache. It gives you a slew of info on the cache, including the hint.

Being a n00b myself, I don't know what GSAK is, so I don't think I followed the steps A-team describes.

GSAK is just a waypoint manager, and although most think it's the *best* waypoint manager, you can also use EasyGPS, ExpertGPS (the pay version of EasyGPS), Mapsource, some other waypoint manager to manage a list of caches. I don't know which, if any, will descrypt hints, but all allow you read in a PQ, organize the list of waypoint, then export them to your GPS.