Stores to buy geocaching stuff?

Cat_Fish

Hi all,

We have finally begun placing caches- our first is one that we adopted. We've got the container ready and want to pick up an "official geocache" sticker, but don't want to pay the shipping associated with it which will probably be as much as the sticker itself! Are geocaching items ever sold in local stores? I could wait until we have more expensive things to buy, but I'd like to pick one up asap. Hate to be cheap, but we all know how times are.

Any thoughts?

CF

You can try making your own sticker. Find some high quality sticker paper and print one. After that I'm not really sure what you do.... My dad made a sticker for my softball helmet once and it seemed like he sprayed it with something afterwards, but I'm not sure. Maybe you can go the ghetto route and print off a sticker and then just put clear package tape on it :laughing:;)

Otherwise, I'd just buy enough stuff to make the shipping worth it. Get some cheap swag, or a hat, or some containers, or whatever you think you might use pretty soon :) I know I'd geek off too much with REI and start buying other things :ph34r:

Groundspeak's shop.geocaching.com shipping is very reasonable, only $1.71 for small packages and it comes first class mail. I've ordered the afformentioned stickers, a travel tag, and a couple pencils for under $10 including shipping. Its sure fun to get the Groundspeak package in the mail too :)

When looked at the REI store locator page I discovered that the closest store was 252 miles away. Even if shipping costs were much more it's still a lot less that what I'd pay for gas to drive 500 miles. I also noticed that there are no REI stores in 19 of the U.S. States.

In hindsight, I should have prefaced my reply with, "If you're in the US, where Groundspeak ships, then Groundspeak's shipping is very reasonable." I know outside the US shipping can be astronomical but you still have a couple options, you could order from a company like GeoSwag who charges flat rate International, or you might have a friendly cacher (if you know one) in the US re-mail a package to you.

I've used many of the alternatives to I've seen mentioned above; the Sharpie works very well, as does a stencil and spray paint. Finally, the "ghetto" route of a printed item covered in packing tape works pretty well too but it won't last forever. I've had good success printing with a laser printer and using good thick 3M-brand tape, the yellowish tape seems to work better than the crystal clear tape. Depending on what your container is and the environment you're going to leave it in it may or may not stick very well.

I was thinking of buying a coin from the website but probably wont because I live in Canada and im assuming that there shipping from the states? and that will be very expensive for a geocoin, right? has anyone in Canada ordered from geocaching . com? was the shipping expensive?

Hi Turtle_Sask!

Nice to see another Saskatchewan cacher on the forums!

Groundspeak doesn't ship to Canada, you can use one of their International Retailers listed under their Shop tab. We have used GPSCITY in Calgary and been very happy with their quick service. Landsharkz in Victoria has a larger selection. We never used the others so can't comment on them.

There are a number of geocaching associations in Saskatchewan where you can post your question and see what is available locally. Or contact some of the veteran cachers like Olemaz to see they use. Events are another way to meet fellow cachers, share your stories of the hunt and get hints for those difficult hides or puzzles.

Enjoy your Geocaching Adventures!

mwellman (now living in Alberta but still Saskatchewan at heart!)

I was thinking of buying a coin from the website but probably wont because I live in Canada and im assuming that there shipping from the states? and that will be very expensive for a geocoin, right? has anyone in Canada ordered from geocaching . com? was the shipping expensive?

Hi Turtle_Sask!

Nice to see another Saskatchewan cacher on the forums!

Groundspeak doesn't ship to Canada, you can use one of their International Retailers listed under their Shop tab. We have used GPSCITY in Calgary and been very happy with their quick service. Landsharkz in Victoria has a larger selection. We never used the others so can't comment on them.

There are a number of geocaching associations in Saskatchewan where you can post your question and see what is available locally. Or contact some of the veteran cachers like Olemaz to see they use. Events are another way to meet fellow cachers, share your stories of the hunt and get hints for those difficult hides or puzzles.

I live in Alberta too now lived in Saskatchewan for the first 18 years of my life

I have a laser printer I got cheap and 3M shipping label stickers I got at the employee store for dirt cheap... almost threw them all away a few months back, glad I didnt. 10 stickers per sheet, template downloaded off the net, put a QR code with a link to my profile on the sticker along with a description of what geocaching is for muggles, since these will be 'regular' sized caches.

Here are the labels except I didn't have to pay $37 for them. I think I paid like $5 (work at 3M)

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/242326/3M-White-Laser-Shipping-Labels-2/

Here's the labels I made, feel free to critique. The QR code and everything are sharp when they print. The strangest thing just happened... an advertisement for the above stickers on photobucket's website as I was uploading the image. Must be tracking me.

http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv270/sholomar/Untitled.png

Edited by sholomar

Hi Turtle_Sask!

. . .

I live in Alberta too now lived in Saskatchewan for the first 18 years of my life

Turtle Sask,

Hope you are enjoying the change in terrain!

Then check out GPSCITY in Calgary for TB tabss, stickers, etc. Landsharkz and the rest have geocoins.

There are active geocaching groups at most of the cities in Alberta and many events. Hope to run into you at one of them.

mwellman

these are great containers, and made in the USA. I originally found them at a 'fleet farm' type store. If you buy in bulk they are only $5 each or less (buying 20 or more) from this website

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item/443700_Plano_Molding_Co_Fishing_Plano_3440-10_Waterproof_StowAway_4648_Size.aspx

I'm willing to throw down 5 bucks for such a nice container just because it's made in the USA.

Edited by sholomar

geocaching.com doesn't ship anywhere outside of USA, not even Canada :rolleyes:

Please note - this site can only accept orders shipped within the United States. If you are outside the US use the link below to find an International Retailer in your area.
I use a Sharpie to write OFFICAL GEOCACHE on the outside of the cache container.

I also use Sharpies. No shipping needed. I write "Official Geocache Site. Please Do Not Disturb", as well as my moniker and the GC number.

You can purchase a custom or standard 8.5 x 12 STENCIL from GxPROXY.COM Just an FYI, they ship international.