Since when did Northern Ireland leave the UK?

Staldantes

I hear what you are saying, but it still doesn't explain the rationale for incorrectly showing the cache map statistics. If I found a cache in Ulster then IMHO Northern Ireland should be highlighted.

It is because those maps use standard maps with the (more or less) current political view of the world. So if you find a cache where the location is UK, the UK (as defined politically, including NI) will be highlighted.

The issue is the countries for maps and statistics ARE countries - they are political entities. And pretty much everywhere else in the world, caches are listed in the countries they are in. There may be good reasons (as have been outlined) for what is done in Northern Ireland, but it causes anomalies like the maps.

Note the Groundspeak UK souvenir for the UK says in the first line "The United Kingdom consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland". But finding a cache in Northern Ireland will not give you the UK souvenir.

I accept the argument that those of us not there can't understand, and this is what community in Ireland (both sides of the border) wants. But it DOES create some anomalies with statistics and souvenirs.

If Geocaching is supposed to be apolitical, I'm not sure why they use political flags and location names for the geocaches. All you need is the Latitude and Longitude to see where you found caches on the planet Earth. Perhaps that would be less interesting to play the game apolitically, and without souvenirs.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:37 AM, Geofather said:

If Geocaching is supposed to be apolitical, I'm not sure why they use political flags and location names for the geocaches.

One reason maybe is a cache that's allowed in one area, may not be allowed in three

Caches on borders need to conform to that state/country's policies. 

You'd be asking Reviewers to go by lat/long, when ten feet might make a difference,  instead of simply going by state and country guidelines. 

Anything to save time worth it when you're a volunteer.  

You can find out more by going to the Worldwide Regional Policies Wiki.   :)

On 7/23/2015 at 3:26 PM, redsox_mark said:

It is because those maps use standard maps with the (more or less) current political view of the world. So if you find a cache where the location is UK, the UK (as defined politically, including NI) will be highlighted.

The issue is the countries for maps and statistics ARE countries - they are political entities. And pretty much everywhere else in the world, caches are listed in the countries they are in. There may be good reasons (as have been outlined) for what is done in Northern Ireland, but it causes anomalies like the maps.

Note the Groundspeak UK souvenir for the UK says in the first line "The United Kingdom consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland". But finding a cache in Northern Ireland will not give you the UK souvenir.

I accept the argument that those of us not there can't understand, and this is what community in Ireland (both sides of the border) wants. But it DOES create some anomalies with statistics and souvenirs.

Furthermore, it creates problems with challenge-caches especially those covering number of countries covered. Note these states number of 'countries'. So I'd expect Northen Ireland would count toward this, however Project GC still shows my finds in Northern Ireland as part of another _country_... There is no talk in the challenge caches about 'political territories' or anything else. While I agree upon the ease relating to PQ's, searches and such. That has absolutely no bearing to souvenirs nor countries in the relation to challenges...