Torches

eusty

OK I haven't a problem...I just like torches!

I've a few LED Lensers, couple of P3's and a P7 and love the quality of them, but I have the urge for more light!!

The LED Lenser X21 is nice and so is the Fenix TK70, but I think they look a bit bulky and I've a feeling I'll need to carry about 20lbs of spare batteries with them.

Anyway I've been looking at the Fenix TK35, anyone have experience of them?? :)

The lenser X21's are lush. We use them at work and when you turn 3 or 4 of them on at the same time it's like someone turned the sun on. Although they are big I wouldn't let that necessarily put me off - they're no heavier than a big maglite torch and also have a shoulder strap so you don't have to carry them in your hand if you don't want to. Like all lensers the battery life is also good so you don't end up spending a fortune on D cells. I would love to buy one, but £200 for a torch is just not something I can justify :(

Considered the Fenix ones but did not go that route in the end.

Currently using a Nightsearcher Commander which is very bright and light and uses only one battery.

The first one broke a couple of weeks in but was swiftly replaced FOC.

If you can I would use a British Manufacturer some brands have to be returned to their country of origin for repairs.

Other things to consider are the brightness at each setting, the night searcher isn't as good as my previous make.

Other things to consider are the brightness at each setting, the night searcher isn't as good as my previous make.

That's why I'm after some opinions, as although it's say 500 lumens a lot of the performance comes from the lens/reflector. A bit like having a 20 megapixel camera with a cheap lens...

I went the Led Lenser route having had no trouble with their torches in the past.

I was torn between the MT7 & M14 both similar in light output (approx 220 lumens). In the end I chose the latter purely on battery type - I have far more rechargeable AA batteries than I do AAAs.

That said I've only just changed the original supplied batteries after 3 months of ad-hoc use.

That's why I'm after some opinions, as although it's say 500 lumens a lot of the performance comes from the lens/reflector. A bit like having a 20 megapixel camera with a cheap lens...

I can only relate my own experiences. My first torch was an ITP A6 Polestar. A reasonably light torch using 6 AA batteries, good light intensity and well ranged through the settings. The battery life was good, I used it sporadically both at work and caching for 6 months and never replaced the Alkaline batteries which were supplied with it. I can imagine fitting 6 AA batteries into the carousel whilst out caching could be a little awkward. The mode button for that model was a rubber button on the top of the body a very useful arrangement. It was however the weak point and somehow became severed. An enquiry if it was a user replaceable part answered NO, It would have to first be returned to the UK supplier thence be returned to the overseas Manufacturer. Unfortunately Royal Mail lost it in transit and I lost both torch and my expenditure.

I looked at various replacements including Fenix but eventually settled for the less expensive Nightsearcher commander.

It is thinner and lighter than the Polestar, uses just one 18650 battery which is easy to change in the field and the compact spare is easy to carry. The high power setting is a little brighter than the Polestar and it is a diffuse spread rather than a beam. Enter something like a village hall and it will illuminate it not too dissimilar to room lighting and light the corners well. The illumination at the other settings I fell is not so good on this torch, step down to the lower settings and you think I much prefer the top power dadgum the batteries I can always charge another. Both for caching and work I need a torch will be an asset not an encumbrance and the Nightsearcher will happily sit on my belt for the 22hour days I have both done working and caching.

Another good point of the Polestar was that it remembered the last setting it was used on and started there, the Night searcher always starts at high power.

Hope you get enough feed in in the thread to make a valued judgement on your investment.

I can recommend the Fenix TK40 - uses a whopping set of eight AA's, but at least you only have to carry one type of spare battery for either GPSr or torch! It has the ability to run on just four batteries if you can't find eight as well - at the cost of the brightest lumen setting.

Jon.

Edited by Dakar4x4

I've literally just bought a P7 from Amazon thinking it will enable me to go night caching. I'm waiting for it to arrive as I write this. I hope I won't be disappointed. Will it be OK for the odd bit of night caching??

With the adjustable focus of the P7 you can spot illuminate an object better than a higher lumen torch such as my Nightsearcher.

Personally I prefer the more even light spread.

Unsure whether we had a dodgy batch of P7's at work but we have some switch failure problems.

Whatever you do, make sure you carry more than one torch. Modern torches are like modern cars, giving little opportunity to limp home.

I've literally just bought a P7 from Amazon thinking it will enable me to go night caching. I'm waiting for it to arrive as I write this. I hope I won't be disappointed. Will it be OK for the odd bit of night caching??

I think its a great torch and ideal for the odd night cache. Friends have seen mine and brought one - great for walking to the pub too.

I've had a P7 for a few months now and it falls into the category of my current kit along with my GPS62s and ipod Classic - if I lost it or broke it I'd replace it with the same thing. I don't think you'll have a problem.

Yeah the P7 is a nice torch..VERY well made:)

Ordered the Fenix TK35 so hopefully be here by the weekend.

Also ordered some 18650 batteries & charger. After reading a battery test on Li-ion batteries these I decided to go for decent ones...but £13 each..ouch! But reading the reviews on UltraFire (which are half the cost) then I'm glad I did! :)

Used the torch for the first time tonight while doing some maintenance on one of my caches. It's out on the marsh so it was pretty dark...until I turned the torch on that is!!

It's unbelievable!! It makes the P7 look like a dim candle. Well impressed :D