Magellan eXplorist 110

Hey, anyone here pick up the new Magellan eXplorist 110? Just came out today I believe, I haven't used it for caching yet but I've been messing around with it for about an hour, and it seems like a pretty good unit. I've got one complaint though...the joystick is terrible. Instead of being able to move freely, the joystick is so stiff that when you press up/down/left/right, 95% of the time it clicks the actual joystick button, which is extremely frustrating when typing in waypoints or other text/numbers into the unit. Aside from that the color screen is great, and the menu and maps are very easy to use. I'm not too sure if I'm going to be sticking with this much longer though, the joystick seems to kill the fun out of everything else on the unit...

Anyone else who's picked it up, give your thoughts or Pros/Cons. Does anyone else have this joystick issue?

Magellan own website doesn't have the 110 listed with it's other Explorist units but after digging around, I found their website for this unit.

http://www.magellangps.com/Products/eXploristseries/eXplorist-110-North-America

If the menu setup is like the GC, you'll be using that click stick a whole, whole bunch... In fact, some menus on the GC require 15 clicks to reach some options...

my GC does nothing but gather dust... in fact, I might just donate it and write it off on my taxes...

If the menu setup is like the GC, you'll be using that click stick a whole, whole bunch... In fact, some menus on the GC require 15 clicks to reach some options...

my GC does nothing but gather dust... in fact, I might just donate it and write it off on my taxes...

Oh, just grand...Yeah this is my first time dealing with a Magellan device, and I know they are made and function well, but the joystick..GAH!! Just typing the word "home" for my home waypoint was ridiculous. Might just stick to my eTrex, take this back and see about another, I'm not sure how much longer I can go on with this issue haha.

The GC isn't my first choice. Thats why i like a good unit with a touch screen. Easier to enter in information manually. Besides the GC can't hold additional maps and there are issues with the communicator software.

Yeah I hear ya, I wish I could afford the nice touch-screen ones, but basically all I use my device for is caching and hiking, so I don't need anything crazy. The 110 has a few more neat options than my eTrex, but as far as ease of use and User Interface, the eTrex is the clear winner still..

Just got the 110, delivered to house for US$115. This is a great bargain for a GPSr that is almost full featured. The only thing it lacks it SD card, touch screen and electronic compass, altimeter. It has a nice screen, good buttons (joystick works well on mine.) It has street maps included, and interfaces nicely with the free Vantage Point software from Magellan, and can exchanges tracks, waypoints, and geocaches in GPX file format. It is a step up from the "GC" model, with some really nice track log features. It shows elevation profile and full statistics on active or saved tracks, can reverse a track and has "Track back."

In the field, it is accurate going to saved waypoints and geocaches. It keeps a decent tracklog when I put it on Google Earth. Just like every GPSr, there are some features that I would like different, but it works well.

I have been buying and testing starter GPSrs to recommend for Scouts and their parents (I own this 110, a GC, eTrex 20, PN-30)and can recommend the 110, especially since price is often a factor.

Just got the 110, delivered to house for US$115. This is a great bargain for a GPSr that is almost full featured. The only thing it lacks it SD card, touch screen and electronic compass, altimeter. It has a nice screen, good buttons (joystick works well on mine.) It has street maps included, and interfaces nicely with the free Vantage Point software from Magellan, and can exchanges tracks, waypoints, and geocaches in GPX file format. It is a step up from the "GC" model, with some really nice track log features. It shows elevation profile and full statistics on active or saved tracks, can reverse a track and has "Track back."

In the field, it is accurate going to saved waypoints and geocaches. It keeps a decent tracklog when I put it on Google Earth. Just like every GPSr, there are some features that I would like different, but it works well.

I have been buying and testing starter GPSrs to recommend for Scouts and their parents (I own this 110, a GC, eTrex 20, PN-30)and can recommend the 110, especially since price is often a factor.

It has a compass type pointer that directs you to the waypoint or geocache you choose. This works well for geocaching, but you have to move (walk) for it to point. Some higher end models have an electronic compass that points correctly when standing still. I usually do not choose this feature because it uses battery power, and you have to manually calibrate it or worry about it being calibrated correctly. Also, I carry a regular compass that is easier to site.

So, on the map page, I have the compass and two fields set to: Distance and Bearing (to the waypoint/geocache.) There is another screen called Dashboard that you can set to a compass with two fields, or with a small compass that shows distance and up to six fields, or no compass and up to 12 fields. You customize these fields.

Reading reviews, the 310 apparently has a GPS-driven 'compass' where you turn the unit and line up the sun or moon with the respective icon on the unit to get your bearing. This would of course only work when you can see one of them.

Not sure whether the 110 has the same feature, does anyone know?

Edited by desertbvk

My Triton 300 broke on Feb. 29. I guess I'm waiting 4 years to fill in the calendar. However, it gives me an opportunity to replace it. I've been looking at the Magellan GC because of the paperless geocaching. Does the 110 have the paperless caching abilities? It is not specifically mentioned on their web site.

Thanks.

My Triton 300 broke on Feb. 29. I guess I'm waiting 4 years to fill in the calendar. However, it gives me an opportunity to replace it. I've been looking at the Magellan GC because of the paperless geocaching. Does the 110 have the paperless caching abilities? It is not specifically mentioned on their web site.

Thanks.

Yes, it is the GC with paperless caching and added functions. It is WONDERFUL for paperless caching. I have an Explorist 500 which is from 2005-2006 and does not support long file names or paperless caching and I am enjoying the QUICK load of multiple caches to go out for a lark on!! No paper, etc. My only beef with this unit, and I am trying to figure out if it is MY unit or THE MODEL is that it is nowhere as great when approaching GZ as the 500 was. I am very frustrated and working with tech support at Magellan... we have fine tuned some setting which help, but for now I am still loading both GPS units with the caches and then switch to the old one if I need to have good detail at the final coordinates. That sucks.. but I have all confidence that in the end the 110 will either get a software update or be replaced under warranty and I will be thrilled with the functionality. The only thing I wish was 'one touch' was switching between the geocache and the dashboard.

Happy caching!!

The 110 has a full featured track log function. You can create, save, export, or import tracks to show on the map. You can see full statistics on your track, vertical profile, and backtrack. The 110 has hunt/fish times, sun/moon rise/set, and routing. It only holds 500 caches (and 500 waypoints), compared to the 10,000 caches on the GC, and the GC has full sorting ability, compared to the 110 only has distance and name sorting. So, if you are out doing more than just geocaching, and want to have more navigation features, the 110 is better.

I am thinking about getting this as our first GPS. We have a Magellan (really base model, doesn't even have a cord to connect to the computer *sigh*,) It was given to us when we started talking about doing some geocaching. We have gotten our feet wet, so to speak, and have decided that it is time to get a better one. The main user of it will be my 10 year old son (he has so much fun leading us to the caches.) What I am really looking for is the ability to download the caches to the GPS or having it already loaded, trail maps in state parks, and easy enough for him to use. Would this do these? I really do not want anything with a lot of added technology that would either confuse me or cause more problem than it is worth. Our budget is between 100-150, he is 10, as I mentioned, so I do not want to hand over to him anything more expensive than that lol. I do have a phone that I bought the app for, but as we found out today, not everywhere we go is going to have a signal to get the cache locations.

Thanks everyone!

thewingfamily

Edited by thewingfamily

UPDATE: After a month with this one I am still somewhat frustrated with the intermittant 'not updating' (for a few minutes) 'here and there' it is NOT related to sat signal... I can have excellent signal and within 13ft accuracy and still not have the dashboard compass update, sometimes the distance/feet will update but the compass will not, sometimes it is both measures that are not updating for as much as 2-3 minutes no matter how far I walk with it. This is a software issue which I a sure will be resolved eventually.

However, with the assistance of tech support at Magellan, I DID get this set to continuous tracking and it is better and we are enjoying it for caching in spite of the short term 'freeze' issues. I LOVE the ease with loading the caches, having the description and hints available without pages of paper. I wish it had the sensitivity and accuracy at GZ that the 500 had but in EVERY OTHER WAY it is far superior and for the price I would consider this an EXCELLENT choice. Once they have the freeze issue solved, I will BE DELIGHTED with this GPS.. now if I could just find out how to submit enhancement requests to their design team... ;-)

i.e. it would be nice to toggle between the dashboard and the Cache entry. (there is a menu option to go to the map, but not the dashboard which is the compass screen with other fields of your choosing on it.. for me it is distance to GZ and accuracy)

It would also be nice to be able to have the compass itself bigger and the arrow middle the direction pointer as it was with the older Magellan units. EASIER TO READ IN BRIGHT SUN.

UPDATE: After a month with this one I am still somewhat frustrated with the intermittant 'not updating' (for a few minutes) 'here and there' it is NOT related to sat signal... I can have excellent signal and within 13ft accuracy and still not have the dashboard compass update, sometimes the distance/feet will update but the compass will not, sometimes it is both measures that are not updating for as much as 2-3 minutes no matter how far I walk with it. This is a software issue which I a sure will be resolved eventually.

However, with the assistance of tech support at Magellan, I DID get this set to continuous tracking and it is better and we are enjoying it for caching in spite of the short term 'freeze' issues. I LOVE the ease with loading the caches, having the description and hints available without pages of paper. I wish it had the sensitivity and accuracy at GZ that the 500 had but in EVERY OTHER WAY it is far superior and for the price I would consider this an EXCELLENT choice. Once they have the freeze issue solved, I will BE DELIGHTED with this GPS.. now if I could just find out how to submit enhancement requests to their design team... ;-)

i.e. it would be nice to toggle between the dashboard and the Cache entry. (there is a menu option to go to the map, but not the dashboard which is the compass screen with other fields of your choosing on it.. for me it is distance to GZ and accuracy)

It would also be nice to be able to have the compass itself bigger and the arrow middle the direction pointer as it was with the older Magellan units. EASIER TO READ IN BRIGHT SUN.

Ys One...

I just have a question before I report your comments to Magellan. How fast are you walking when you're seeing the freezing up on your eX110? Are you moving slowly or at a normal walking pace? I'm going to try to get out with mine tomorrow and see if I experience the same thing and then I send the results in so they can address this issue.

Thanks for your comments,

David

Magellan Insider

Ys One...

I just have a question before I report your comments to Magellan. How fast are you walking when you're seeing the freezing up on your eX110? Are you moving slowly or at a normal walking pace? I'm going to try to get out with mine tomorrow and see if I experience the same thing and then I send the results in so they can address this issue.

David

Magellan Insider

Ys One...

David

Magellan Insider

It is much worse as I go slowly. But I notice it happens when using the map while driving now as well, for example it may say I have 350 feet to go and I start looking for a place to park... and when I park it might say I'm 210 feet, but if I set it on the dash and grab my gear, etc. and pick it up it may have updated and suddenly I find out I'm 90 feet from GZ. So my original report and assumption to them that it works better at 30-50 mph was wrong... and I have not contacted them to let them know this.

The stop and start thing can happen in ANY weather and at any speed... it 'seems' like it is losing sat signal, but the accuracy measurement updates even though the other 'feet to target' field may not update, but most frustrating when caching is that you could be 30-40 feet IN ANY DIRECTION from the cache when the compass does not update. Makes the whole thing sort of useless, and I have gone to great lengths to explain this to them and they do not seem to really 'get it' how bad that really is while you are in the middle of the woods. If you are in an urban setting it is sometimes obvious which way you need to go when you are 30' from GZ, but if there are 100 trees in that 30' radius you might as well just climb one eh?

Thanks for anything you can do. I have been using it, and in the last week quit loading the 500 at the same time as it was way too time consuming to load both GPS units. However today I had really wished I had the 500 loaded and running cuz it stalled on me twice in a very bad location... in the woods on a 40 degree incline hill. Not fun.

Thanks, Ys One - Yvonne Mangum

I will follow up on this tomorrow and see what mine is doing and hopefully from there we can determine as to whether it is a firmware issue or if it is your specific device. Either way I will be making a calling to the product manger at Magellan and letting him know that this problem has been noted - he's really good about following up of these things...

David

Magellan Insider

I posted on March 5 that I was looking at purchasing the Magellan Explorist 110. I did buy one a few days later. I am still getting used to the paperless caching, but WOW! Now that I can download hundreds of caches at one time, my life is far easier. It has changed how I cache and when. I can stop for one or more on the way home from work. I can spend my lunch hours out hiking. Prep time is virtually nil. However, there is a problem documented here that my new GPS unit has as well. I notice it a lot more when I am in a canopy situation. I've zoomed in on the map. I get within about 50 to a hundred feet. I walk about 50 to a hundred feet and it says I didn't move. Then, the screen changes and suddenly I am 50 feet off in the other direction. This week alone, I have found two caches where my GPS said I was more than 50 feet from it. One time, I watched it slowly calibrate repeatedly, eventually realizing I was within 3 feet of the cache. I hope the posts are correct and this is a software issue that will be fixed and updated. I had a Triton 300 that I liked a lot and I think it worked better than this unit right up to its untimely demise. If we can get past the freezing issue, it is a definite keeper. If we can't get past the freeze issue, I'll still keep it, but I won't be as quick to recommend it. Please keep this stream alive. I look forward to updates about this freezing issue. GMSkippyP

I posted on March 5 that I was looking at purchasing the Magellan Explorist 110. I did buy one a few days later. I am still getting used to the paperless caching, but WOW! Now that I can download hundreds of caches at one time, my life is far easier. It has changed how I cache and when. I can stop for one or more on the way home from work. I can spend my lunch hours out hiking. Prep time is virtually nil. However, there is a problem documented here that my new GPS unit has as well. I notice it a lot more when I am in a canopy situation. I've zoomed in on the map. I get within about 50 to a hundred feet. I walk about 50 to a hundred feet and it says I didn't move. Then, the screen changes and suddenly I am 50 feet off in the other direction. This week alone, I have found two caches where my GPS said I was more than 50 feet from it. One time, I watched it slowly calibrate repeatedly, eventually realizing I was within 3 feet of the cache. I hope the posts are correct and this is a software issue that will be fixed and updated. I had a Triton 300 that I liked a lot and I think it worked better than this unit right up to its untimely demise. If we can get past the freezing issue, it is a definite keeper. If we can't get past the freeze issue, I'll still keep it, but I won't be as quick to recommend it. Please keep this stream alive. I look forward to updates about this freezing issue. GMSkippyP

This issue has been reported to Magellan HQ and they're most definetly looking into it. Also, I'm forward your comments to them as well.

David

Magellan Insider

Having the same problem with a 310

Three questions:

1. Have you installed the latest firmware that just came out?

2. How many GPX files do you have installed on it? If you're loading the cache one by one using the Magellan Communicator this is begin to slow the unit down. The best thing to do is to delete all of the GPX files on the unit and use one GPX file from a Pocket Query.

3. Have you manually cleared the hdd>Media>Images>Geocaching directory lately? This directory will fill up over time and start reducing the amount of memory available to the unit and these images are not always deleted when you delete all of the caches.

I hope this helps, but if not - please let me know.

David

Magellan Insider

I've had an etrex 20 for the past couple months and was fairly happy with it, until it incurred damage that was not covered by the warranty. Having tested the 110 and the etrex, which one do you feel is more user friendly? Another issue that I had with the Etrex was that the rubber around the joystick was starting to tear before it was damaged. Are the buttons and joystick on the 110 hard plastic or more of a rubber covered button like on the etrex?

I know this may be am old topic now, but I was wondering if any solution has been found for the "freezing" problem on the 110? I recently purchased one, and have been suffering the same fate. Yesterday I ended up walking over 100 feet in the wrong direction...Kind of frustrating when the free app. on my cell phone seems to have no problem constantly updating the compass, no freezing at all. Any new info would be greatly appreciated :)

The issue has NOT been resolved, there was a software update earlier this year that I did apply to the device and it did NOT claim to solve this issue, and did not. I have quit bugging them about it, it clearly is a global issue. Between the posts here and other places where a majority of the Magellan Explorist 110 users are bitching about the same issue I can only conclude that Magellan couldn't care less. I have been tempted to sell my unit and get something else, but we use this 99% for Geocaching, and I did not want the GC because you can't use tracks and backtrack to find your vehicle... when you go into remote areas the tracking feature is critical and something my phone can't do... that said:

We cache "two handed" as we approach GZ now, GPS (the 110) in one hand and my phone in the other. The phone functions much better for caching when zooming in on GZ. Since there are features of the 110 that are better than the PAID APP from Geocaching.com that I loaded on my Galaxy S3 I just can't bring myself to go with only the phone, and as stated sometimes need the tack feature. I never cached with a phone before August when I bought this phone, so I don't know if the phones have superior GPS lock to satellite or not, but this phone seems to have FAR SUPERIOR GPS strength than the 110 does, and I think that is PATHETIC. I will say, the phone is MSRP $650 and the GPS is much less, I paid less than MSRP which I think is $139. So maybe we are comparing apples and oranges when it comes to the hardware components. Don't know, not sure I care, what I care about is the consumer experience and at this point I will probably not buy another Magellan even though THE OLD EXPLORIST WORKED MUCH BETTER AND DID NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM!! Frustration abounds.

I know this may be am old topic now, but I was wondering if any solution has been found for the "freezing" problem on the 110? I recently purchased one, and have been suffering the same fate. Yesterday I ended up walking over 100 feet in the wrong direction...Kind of frustrating when the free app. on my cell phone seems to have no problem constantly updating the compass, no freezing at all. Any new info would be greatly appreciated :)

Ghosty,

I am sorry to hear that you are having these issues with your eX110 and I hope that I can help resolve the problem.

My first question is, how are you holding the GPS when you are using it? Top straight up, top tilted up (45 degree angle), flat or top pointing somewhat down. I am asking this, but it has been reported that a number of users who have been having problems with the "Compass" line of products (eX110, eX310, GC) have reported holding their units level to the ground; however, the antenna in these units is mounted so that they work best when held at a 45 degree angel with the top up.

Also, in order that I can answer Matt's questions, the Product Engineer, can you please answer the following questions:

* Which Orientation do you have selected in the Map Options: Track Up, North Up or Course Up?

* Which location Icon are you using? Smart Arrow or Standard Arrow and which size.

* Is the Auto Zoom function enabled?

* Do you have the Compass Overlay enabled?

If can answer these questions for me, I will speak directly to the Product Manager/Engineer and see what he can tell me.

Also, please feel free to email me the answers at ZukiCacher@gmail.com

Also, I apologize to anyone else who is having similar issues, but if you could please email me telling me the problem you're having and answers the included questions I will do everything in my power to help resolve your issues.

Please understand that I am NOT an Employee of Magellan, but a Beta Tester and a Geocacher; however, as their lead US Beta Tester I'm not the phone with them constantly and I will do what I can to find out the answers for you, because Magellan is listening.

Thank you,

David

Magellan Insider

Ghosty,

I am sorry to hear that you are having these issues with your eX110 and I hope that I can help resolve the problem.

My first question is, how are you holding the GPS when you are using it? Top straight up, top tilted up (45 degree angle), flat or top pointing somewhat down. I am asking this, but it has been reported that a number of users who have been having problems with the "Compass" line of products (eX110, eX310, GC) have reported holding their units level to the ground; however, the antenna in these units is mounted so that they work best when held at a 45 degree angel with the top up.

Also, in order that I can answer Matt's questions, the Product Engineer, can you please answer the following questions:

* Which Orientation do you have selected in the Map Options: Track Up, North Up or Course Up?

* Which location Icon are you using? Smart Arrow or Standard Arrow and which size.

* Is the Auto Zoom function enabled?

* Do you have the Compass Overlay enabled?

If can answer these questions for me, I will speak directly to the Product Manager/Engineer and see what he can tell me.

Also, I apologize to anyone else who is having similar issues, but if you could please email me telling me the problem you're having and answers the included questions I will do everything in my power to help resolve your issues.

Please understand that I am NOT an Employee of Magellan, but a Beta Tester and a Geocacher; however, as their lead US Beta Tester I'm not the phone with them constantly and I will do what I can to find out the answers for you, because Magellan is listening.

Thank you,

David

Magellan Insider

* Which Orientation do you have selected in the Map Options: Track Up, North Up or Course Up? NORTH UP

* Which location Icon are you using? Smart Arrow or Standard Arrow and which size. STANDARD ARROW, M

* Is the Auto Zoom function enabled? NO (hate this feature!)

* Do you have the Compass Overlay enabled? YES, option 2

I am answering here so that perhaps we can figure out what the common feature is. Obviously Magellan thinks that there is no problem. I hold my GPS horizontal much of the time, the last one worked BETTER that way, but honestly at the 30-45 degree angle is better for viewing while walking so that would be preferred, I have also tried holding it at 45+-90 so it is perpendicular to the ground, thinking that the 'antenna' or receiver may be in the top of the unit where the power 'button' is. I don't see any difference in performance. I'm very sure it's something else, and I've been trying to figure this out for 9 months now. Spending more money to replace it is just not a viable option for me all this time, or I would have!

Yvonne

Thank you for the reply, as of now I have been carrying it in my hand, looking at it ocasionally (swinging it up and down) so no real set angle to be honest. I have just ordered a neck lanyard, which now may not be such a good thing lol.

I use a lanyard with all of my units; however, I just know to pick the unit up and give it a second or you to grab a good lock before continuing. This normally only takes a couple of seconds; but of course with the eX110 I have to be moving (walking) when I do so....

David

One more question.

How fast are you moving when the compass/gps starts freezing? Since these units do not have an active compass they will not update correctly when standing still or when moving slower than 1.5 mph. I'm just wondering if this could be part of the problem. A lot of people are trying to compare these units to their cell phones; however, their cell phones do have active compasses in them and therefore they can and will update while stopped. If this is the problem, Magellan does build units with active compasses in them; however, there cost is closer to the cost of an I-phone or good quality Android.

Just wondering!

David

One more question.

How fast are you moving when the compass/gps starts freezing? Since these units do not have an active compass they will not update correctly when standing still or when moving slower than 1.5 mph. I'm just wondering if this could be part of the problem. A lot of people are trying to compare these units to their cell phones; however, their cell phones do have active compasses in them and therefore they can and will update while stopped. If this is the problem, Magellan does build units with active compasses in them; however, there cost is closer to the cost of an I-phone or good quality Android.

Just wondering!

David

I have tried all speeds, and about 2-3 MPH seems to produce the best results but when you are on a cliff or in a river bed that is rather impractical. Maybe what we're all learning here is that for a GOOD GC GPS you need to have the active compass and this model just isn't going to cut it. That would be the ONE thing that it really needs, if we determine that is what the issue boils down to. I was on a 50 degree plus grade two weeks ago and moving at all was nuts, let alone holding my GPS as a 45 degree angle. Terrain 4-5 caches make the requirements for the speed and amount of distance ot get the reading 'on' nearly IMPOSSIBLE. OK, now I've exceeded my 2 cents worth again.

Y

Edited by Ys Ones

One more question.

Just wondering!

David

I have tried all speeds, and about 2-3 MPH seems to produce the best results but when you are on a cliff or in a river bed that is rather impractical. Maybe what we're all learning here is that for a GOOD GC GPS you need to have the active compass and this model just isn't going to cut it. That would be the ONE thing that it really needs, if we determine that is what the issue boils down to. I was on a 50 degree plus grade two weeks ago and moving at all was nuts, let alone holding my GPS as a 45 degree angle. Terrain 4-5 caches make the requirements for the speed and amount of distance ot get the reading 'on' nearly IMPOSSIBLE. OK, now I've exceeded my 2 cents worth again.

Y

I absolutely agree, in those types of conditions and electric compass is a great to have. It isn't a must, but it is great to have and I love using my eXplorist 610 & 710 because of conditions like this; however, the truth is you're not going to find a new GPS on the market for $120 with an electronic compass. With Garmin you'll be looking at a minimum of the eTrex 30 which runs around $300 and with Magellan the eXplorist 610 which can be purchased from Amazon for around $350. The truth is, the eXplorist 110 as well as the GC and eX310; which are all the exact same hardware are all entry level GPS receivers that are being sold at an entry level price...

David

Magellan Insider

i bought the explorist 110 as of yesterday and took it caching today, two hides were fine...but wen i went to a hide i could not find before (my phone didnt have signal, reason i bought a gps) it would not show when i was moving until more than a minute after...it did track where i went once it did unfreeze..my trail looked like a dreamcatcher lol, very hard to find a cache even though it said accuracy was under 30 feet. i thought it was signal but reading here mebbe something else. it was also jumping me around i would go directly to the cache (unfrozen) and then it would move the arrow west of me, so i ended up going somewhere unintended to where it said before...to sum that last sentence up the arrow was jumping around even though i wasnt changing direction.

I too am having the freezing/jumping problem with the 110. Yesterday I visited a cache and the 110 took me right to it! That was my first find with this receiver and I was delighted! Today I took my wife back to that same cache so she could see how to use the 110. Today the 110 took us every which way except to the cache! We visited another cache but could not find it - the 110 looked like the cache was moving from one side of the trail to the other. It's beginning to appear that the only advantages the 110 gives me over my TomTom car GPS receiver are that the 110 is easier to carry and the batteries last longer. Sounds like the electronic compass of the higher priced models might be needed. Unfortunately I can't afford one of those units just now. Hopefully the problem is user error as I'm still trying to learn how to use it. But entries in this forum aren't too encouraging.

On further thought, I was a bit too harsh on the 110 in my comments above. In fact, the 110 is head and shoulders better than the TomTom for Geocaching. Although the 110 doesn't zero me into Ground Zero much better than the TT, the 110 allows me to do paperless caching, a HUGE plus! It gets me close to the cache, battery life is excellent, it's easy to carry and fairly simple to use. Those are the important things.

Edited by HrlyCkrs

I too am having the freezing/jumping problem with the 110. Yesterday I visited a cache and the 110 took me right to it! That was my first find with this receiver and I was delighted! Today I took my wife back to that same cache so she could see how to use the 110. Today the 110 took us every which way except to the cache! We visited another cache but could not find it - the 110 looked like the cache was moving from one side of the trail to the other. It's beginning to appear that the only advantages the 110 gives me over my TomTom car GPS receiver are that the 110 is easier to carry and the batteries last longer. Sounds like the electronic compass of the higher priced models might be needed. Unfortunately I can't afford one of those units just now. Hopefully the problem is user error as I'm still trying to learn how to use it. But entries in this forum aren't too encouraging.

its not that its a bad gps...it seems if you move in a line or slow turns toward something it is fine. the problem im having is turning around/sharp turn and then another turn right after that sort of thing...like today it took me within 50 ft of the cache (accuracy was 25 ft) and 50 ft is close enough to where i can look at distance to waypoint and my direction to figure out where the cache is, but me being me this is a new gps and i wanted it to zero me in, every correction i made to get zeroed in put me farther away or in the wrong direction. the arrow kept jumping around and it wouldnt update my position very well (updated every 15 feet id say) i dnt think i will have a problem finding caches, i just thought it would b more accurate in finesse work...im thinking about buying a etrex 20(i have 30 days to return this 110) but i like the way this 110 is set up... i had also set it to beep at distance to waypoint at 30 ft (or something like that) and the past 2 caches where i tried finesse work and failed i ended up looking for it myself but the thing went off ten ft from the cache both times (it was swinging on a lanyard around my neck) i dont know how to explain that

Edited by cachndirty

its not that its a bad gps...it seems if you move in a line or slow turns toward something it is fine. the problem im having is turning around/sharp turn and then another turn right after that sort of thing...like today it took me within 50 ft of the cache (accuracy was 25 ft) and 50 ft is close enough to where i can look at distance to waypoint and my direction to figure out where the cache is, but me being me this is a new gps and i wanted it to zero me in, every correction i made to get zeroed in put me farther away or in the wrong direction. the arrow kept jumping around and it wouldnt update my position very well (updated every 15 feet id say) i dnt think i will have a problem finding caches, i just thought it would b more accurate in finesse work...im thinking about buying a etrex 20(i have 30 days to return this 110) but i like the way this 110 is set up... i had also set it to beep at distance to waypoint at 30 ft (or something like that) and the past 2 caches where i tried finesse work and failed i ended up looking for it myself but the thing went off ten ft from the cache both times (it was swinging on a lanyard around my neck) i dont know how to explain that

I just got off of the phone with the National Product Rep. at Magellan concerning the problems with the eX110 and he wants to know if all of you have installed the latest v1.12 firmware for the unit. Please understand that this isn't be put forward as a fix for the problem, becauses he is wondering if there was a bug introduced with the v1.12 release that wasn't caught in testing.

David

Magellan Insider/Beta Tester

I just got off of the phone with the National Product Rep. at Magellan concerning the problems with the eX110 and he wants to know if all of you have installed the latest v1.12 firmware for the unit. Please understand that this isn't be put forward as a fix for the problem, becauses he is wondering if there was a bug introduced with the v1.12 release that wasn't caught in testing.

David

David, thank you so much for the followup and your efforts on our behalf. Yes, my firmware is v1.12. I updated it before my first use of the unit. Please note that I updated my original post. Although the 110 doesn't close in on Ground Zero as well as I had hoped because of the freezing/jumping, it still is a great little receiver! The 110 allows me to do paperless caching, a HUGE plus! It gets me close to the cache, battery life is excellent, it's easy to carry and fairly simple to use.

David

Hi David, per our many email discussions a year ago... I DID update to 1.12 the week it came out. There was NO DIFFERENCE in the performance of the unit when closing in on GZ compared to before the update. I am pretty sure I notified them at the time... and without reviewing this board, posted here as well.

Ok,

I spoke to the guys at Magellan HQ today and here is Magellan's answer to all of you who are having problems with the eX110 freezing when getting close to GZ...

Please Contact:

Jeff Caulfield

National Product Trainer/Brand Advocate

Magellan Outdoor GPS

801-816-5774

jcaulfield@magellangps.com

For a replacement...

David

Ok,

I spoke to the guys at Magellan HQ today and here is Magellan's answer to all of you who are having problems with the eX110 freezing when getting close to GZ...

Please Contact:

Jeff Caulfield

National Product Trainer/Brand Advocate

Magellan Outdoor GPS

801-816-5774

jcaulfield@magellangps.com

For a replacement...

David

SWEEEET!!!! THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Edited by Ys Ones