oregon 550 being annoying

Thanks!

I checked and it was turned to 'on'. So I have turned it to off.

I'm still wondering why sometimes it locks to the road and sometimes it doesn't. Especially as I never touch this setting.

Did you change profiles between "geocaching" and something else? There might be other ways it could get changed as well, I'm sure.

No, I never change profiles. The only thing I do is create waypoints and use 'recalculate on road' to navigate to caches and waypoints.

For the past several months (after one of the updates, don't remember which one), my 550t will occasionally turn on "Lock on road" all by itself. I've tried to figure out the circumstances in which this happens, but it seems to be more or less a random event. And it's annoying when it happens. I've owned three different GPS units, and I learned to dislike the "Lock on road" feature early on. I never switch profiles, so that's not causing the problem.

It may have something to do with the way I use the unit. When I need to first drive to the general location of a cache, I switch to on-road navigation and use the unit to get me to the nearest parking spot. As soon as I get out of the car (and while the unit is still navigating to the cache), I switch the unit to off-road navigation and follow the arrow. Sometimes, when I make this switch, the unit activates the "Lock on road" thing all by itself. It happens about 10% of the time, and I've never been able to figure out any pattern. Now when the arrow does weird things, I know to check the "Lock on road" setting first.

--Larry

It happens during an update.......

Before updating, change to a profile that you DONT use.

Update, then change back to your regular profile.

End of problem........

Even if this works (I won't be able to find out until the next update), it's still a bug that needs squashed. It's really annoying, and I don't want to have to remember to switch profiles (which I normally never do under any circumstances) to get around the bug.

--Larry

No, I never change profiles. The only thing I do is create waypoints and use 'recalculate on road' to navigate to caches and waypoints.

For the past several months (after one of the updates, don't remember which one), my 550t will occasionally turn on "Lock on road" all by itself. I've tried to figure out the circumstances in which this happens, but it seems to be more or less a random event. And it's annoying when it happens. I've owned three different GPS units, and I learned to dislike the "Lock on road" feature early on. I never switch profiles, so that's not causing the problem.

It may have something to do with the way I use the unit. When I need to first drive to the general location of a cache, I switch to on-road navigation and use the unit to get me to the nearest parking spot. As soon as I get out of the car (and while the unit is still navigating to the cache), I switch the unit to off-road navigation and follow the arrow. Sometimes, when I make this switch, the unit activates the "Lock on road" thing all by itself. It happens about 10% of the time, and I've never been able to figure out any pattern. Now when the arrow does weird things, I know to check the "Lock on road" setting first.

--Larry

Interesting, your experience is exactly like mine. I have updated the firmware so there's nothing else to do. Let's hope they fix it, it seems clearly to be a bug.

Thanks to the previous poster for giving me a way to get out of it w/o having to turn the GPS off and on.

This has been around a while, Garmin knows about it. Sometime lock on road gets turned on all by itself. It happens about once a week for me. Has anyone ever figured out a patern of when it changes the setting? Everyone should complain to Garmin about this. They should have fixed it long ago.