Caching in New York City

team-adoptapet

We are traveling to NYC in a few weeks and want to do some caching while we are there. It seems like when we were in NY previously, that we had trouble with our Garmin 60SX picking up satellite signals in the city. Any advice? TIA!

If you are caching in Midtown Manhattan, don't even bother trying to use the GPSr. I have several caches in midtown and I had to use Google maps to determine the coordinates for the hide because my GPSr showed me being 2 blocks away from my location. If you are in Central Park or in an area not surrounded by tall buildings your GPSr should be reliable. On my cache pages I mention that the seeker should look at Google maps before heading out to get an idea where you are going. I also include very specific hints which makes finding the cache a bit easier. But there is nothing I can do to help you with the muggles. :ph34r: Some people say that dealing with the muggles is the hardest part of caching in NYC.

This thread will probably be moved to the Mid-Atlantic forums.

We are traveling to NYC in a few weeks and want to do some caching while we are there. It seems like when we were in NY previously, that we had trouble with our Garmin 60SX picking up satellite signals in the city. Any advice? TIA!

If you are caching in Midtown Manhattan, don't even bother trying to use the GPSr. I have several caches in midtown and I had to use Google maps to determine the coordinates for the hide because my GPSr showed me being 2 blocks away from my location. If you are in Central Park or in an area not surrounded by tall buildings your GPSr should be reliable. On my cache pages I mention that the seeker should look at Google maps before heading out to get an idea where you are going. I also include very specific hints which makes finding the cache a bit easier. But there is nothing I can do to help you with the muggles. :ph34r: Some people say that dealing with the muggles is the hardest part of caching in NYC.

This thread will probably be moved to the Mid-Atlantic forums.

I'll have to look for your hides while I am there. Thanks for the help!

Wow, talk about good timing, just been researching a trip to NYC myself, ..not till like March, went to check my email, and this appeared, so, I can not assist, have cached in NYC one time, ...CP, the GPS seemed fine for me, , not so much granite canyons around, but all I can say.

I am mostly curious as to the subways, advice as to the in and outs, also links to info, and any Apps anyone may know of that may help explain NYC, have a couple,

Hopnstop, NYC Way, and central park, k well have a great trip, guess google maps are the way to go, going to add this to my watch list see what info can be gleamed, oh.. also where would be a great spot for a slice? :rolleyes:

Wow, talk about good timing, just been researching a trip to NYC myself, ..not till like March, went to check my email, and this appeared, so, I can not assist, have cached in NYC one time, ...CP, the GPS seemed fine for me, , not so much granite canyons around, but all I can say.

I am mostly curious as to the subways, advice as to the in and outs, also links to info, and any Apps anyone may know of that may help explain NYC, have a couple,

Hopnstop, NYC Way, and central park, k well have a great trip, guess google maps are the way to go, going to add this to my watch list see what info can be gleamed, oh.. also where would be a great spot for a slice? :rolleyes:

Best advice, don't look like a tourist.

Hopstop is a great app don't leave home without it.

Foursquare has checkin specials at many restaurants esp if your AMEX is tied to it. I have saved a pretty penny with that.

BEst places for pizza, don't come in slices, but pies. Arturo's on Houston or John's on Bleecker are my 2 faves in Manhattan.

The best pizza though is Paulie's in Greenpoint, BK. That man knows how to make a great pie!

More good grub found at Chelsea Market, get on Yelp and see what the locals say about food, shopping etc. for more intel

Highline is a great stroll as is the greenway on the WestSide which goes from the Battery to way up to the top of Manhattan. Gorgeous views.

Ft Trylon is my favorite parks and has the MMA The Cloisters in it.

I went with my family to NYC back in November . We did more site seeing and shopping than caching . I got to do one cache and it was GREAT . GC4D7F---The Empire Strikes Back This cache is at the Empire State Building . If you dont do the cache its worth the trip to the over look , the view is fantastic . Check out the gallery on this cache you will see what Im talking about .

also where would be a great spot for a slice? :rolleyes:

If you are looking for a hole in the wall pizza place, we found a good one @ 46th and 8th. I don't even know the name of the place, but it took me two trips to NYC to find it again because, as I stated previously, we couldn't get our GPSr to work long enough to be able to mark our spot when we were eating there the first time. I guess that is when a good old-fashioned paper and pencil would have come in handy! :blink:

I went with my family to NYC back in November . We did more site seeing and shopping than caching . I got to do one cache and it was GREAT . GC4D7F---The Empire Strikes Back This cache is at the Empire State Building . If you dont do the cache its worth the trip to the over look , the view is fantastic . Check out the gallery on this cache you will see what Im talking about .

Thanks for the heads-up. If we can brave the cold way up there, we'll definitely check it out!

Best advice, don't look like a tourist.

Hopstop is a great app don't leave home without it.

Foursquare has checkin specials at many restaurants esp if your AMEX is tied to it. I have saved a pretty penny with that.

BEst places for pizza, don't come in slices, but pies. Arturo's on Houston or John's on Bleecker are my 2 faves in Manhattan.

The best pizza though is Paulie's in Greenpoint, BK. That man knows how to make a great pie!

More good grub found at Chelsea Market, get on Yelp and see what the locals say about food, shopping etc. for more intel

Highline is a great stroll as is the greenway on the WestSide which goes from the Battery to way up to the top of Manhattan. Gorgeous views.

Ft Trylon is my favorite parks and has the MMA The Cloisters in it.

Thanks for the extra tourist tips! I'll have to check out the hopstop app! I have always wanted to see The Cloisters, but have never found the time to go on previous trips. Definitely on my list this time! By the way, do you recommend The Brooklyn Diner @ 43rd and Times Square? For yawppy, I LOVE this restaurant! The cheesecake is to die for!

Well, just came across another Subway App, referred to me by AddisonBr, called Kickmap, seems nice.

Will look for that Pizza Joint on 46/8, just seems like NYC has the best pizza!

The Diner, may be on the slate as well.

Still trying to learn the sub way, is it easy enough to learn, I mean If I'm in CP, and want to get to Battery Park, how do I differentiate the direction of the lines, hate to head North, when I want to head South ..LOL, should be an adventure all the same.

K TY, will check back later.

Still trying to learn the sub way, is it easy enough to learn, I mean If I'm in CP, and want to get to Battery Park, how do I differentiate the direction of the lines, hate to head North, when I want to head South ..LOL, should be an adventure all the same.

North is Uptown, and typically trains going uptown are "Bronx Bound" or "Queens Bound". South is Downtown, and typically trains going downtown are "Brooklyn Bound".

General rule of thumb:

North = Uptown = Bronx Bound = Queens Bound

South = Downtown = Brooklyn Bound

...appear normal in NYC...

:P

That's a good one.

I kind of shy away from the crowded cities these days but what I remember from growing up in Brooklyn is that NYers are generally very friendly. Of course they mostly keep to themselves and mind their own business but if needed you wouldn't have a problem getting directions from a stranger. The subways usually have signs pointing uptown or downtown. With a map app you should be okay. Enjoy your visit.

NYC is a wonderful place to ride a bike, the bikeway and central park have been mentioned. But the best bit of advice I have seen here is:

"Don't look like a tourist" Yeah you certainly don't want to appear normal in NYC, so look like a native.

I've traveled enough to know that it is hard not to look like a tourist when you are one! I too am heading to NYC this spring. Thanks for all the tips. One thing we are planning is to buy the City Pass. It gets us 6 different major sights for ~$60 and we get to skip the lines. I'm hoping to grab the Empire Strikes Back cache.

Keep the ideas coming!

Guiderchachi from Canada

To extend your caching experience via subway here are two suggestions:

1) Take the "A" train uptown to Inwood Hill Park. Several nice traditional caches as well as a whole series of earth caches. Oldest stand of natural forest in Manhattan (or something like that.)

The Cloisters is within walking or biking distance, a lot of uphill though. You can take your bike on the subway

2) Catch a train to Prospect Park in Brooklyn. There are several ways to do this. If you're interested ask here or email and I can give specific directions. Lots of nice traditionals in the park and a few micros nearby in the neighborhood.

These are subway trips I've made several times from midtown Manhattan, both with and without a bike.

1) Take the "A" train uptown to Inwood Hill Park. Several nice traditional caches as well as a whole series of earth caches. Oldest stand of natural forest in Manhattan (or something like that.)

The Cloisters is within walking or biking distance, a lot of uphill though. You can take your bike on the subway

2) Catch a train to Prospect Park in Brooklyn. There are several ways to do this. If you're interested ask here or email and I can give specific directions. Lots of nice traditionals in the park and a few micros nearby in the neighborhood.

These are subway trips I've made several times from midtown Manhattan, both with and without a bike.

I am planning on moseying on over to Brooklyn to go to the Flea Market on Saturday. I would love to know of the best way to get there. Thanks!

Edited by team-adoptapet

I am planning on moseying on over to Brooklyn to go to the Flea Market on Saturday. I would love to know of the best way to get there. Thanks!

Saturday as in today? Guess it's too late... I'm not sure where the flea market is, Brooklyn is pretty big!

Saturday as in today? Guess it's too late... I'm not sure where the flea market is, Brooklyn is pretty big!

No, next Saturday, a week from today. Here is the website. Thanks! http://www.brooklynflea.com/

Skylight One Hanson

Saturday + Sunday 10am-5pm

1 Hanson Place (at Ashland Pl.), Fort Greene Map

InformationMap & DirectionsPhotosVendor Layout

The Flea's winter home is the former Williamsburg Savings Bank, worth a visit just to see the gorgeous landmark interior. More than 100 vendors line the former teller windows on the ground floor, secret rooms on the upstairs mezzanine, and the original bank vault on the lower level, which also features the food court and a seating area. Dogs are not allowed.

It looks like above is where it is held in the winter months. We are staying here:

Trump SoHo

246 Spring St.

Thanks so much!

SoHo and Greenwich Village

Skylight One Hanson

The Flea's winter home is the former Williamsburg Savings Bank, worth a visit just to see the gorgeous landmark interior. More than 100 vendors line the former teller windows on the ground floor, secret rooms on the upstairs mezzanine, and the original bank vault on the lower level, which also features the food court and a seating area. Dogs are not allowed.

It looks like above is where it is held in the winter months. We are staying here:

Trump SoHo

246 Spring St.

Thanks so much!

Good work tracking that down! Sounds like fun. I'll look at the map and tell you what trains I would take. I might check it out myself!

Skylight One Hanson

Trump SoHo

246 Spring St.

Thanks so much!

Good work tracking that down! Sounds like fun. I'll look at the map and tell you what trains I would take. I might check it out myself!

Thanks so much for your time! I appreciate it! I can't wait! :D

Get on the "C" train at Spring St. Get off at Lafayette Ave. No transfers necessary. :)

Awesome! Thanks again. I am leaving for The City on Wednesday. I am super happy that the weather is not going to be quite as cold as I had anticipated. We might get to do some caching after all! I was planning on doing The Cloisters or the aforementioned Brooklyn Flea on Saturday. Hopefully we can fit everything in. We are going to The Nate Berkus Show on Thursday morning and the show "On a Clear Day" with Harry Connick on Thursday night. I also want to check out the Chelsea Market at some point since we are staying in the vicinity. Hukilaulau, do you know if Lafayette St. Is close to the pizza place mentioned above, Paulies? I thought we might try that if it is close.

...is Prospect Park near Lafayette St.?

Lafayette Ave is about a mile north of the park, not a bad walk through Brooklyn. But if you walk from your hotel to Houston and Broadway you can find the B train that takes you right to the park. I believe it goes right under Prospect Park.

One thing I love about this hobby is how wonderfully nice geocachers are! I truly appreciate everyone's advice! I'll let you know how the trip went when I get back!

...is Prospect Park near Lafayette St.?

Lafayette Ave is about a mile north of the park, not a bad walk through Brooklyn. But if you walk from your hotel to Houston and Broadway you can find the B train that takes you right to the park. I believe it goes right under Prospect Park.

One thing I love about this hobby is how wonderfully nice geocachers are! I truly appreciate everyone's advice! I'll let you know how the trip went when I get back!

Your only real problem is that you won't have enough time to do it all!

Here is a link to the subway map I use for planning a trip around NYC. It's pdf so you can zoom way in and scroll around to see exactly the part you want. NYC subways

Remember that going TO Brooklyn FROM Manhattan look for the sign over the subway entrance that says:

"Downtown and Brooklyn" and coming back should say "Uptown and Manhattan"

Be sure to waypoint your hotel and every subway entrance you use so you can find your way back!

Take the "A" train uptown to Inwood Hill Park. Several nice traditional caches as well as a whole series of earth caches. Oldest stand of natural forest in Manhattan (or something like that.)

It's true! It's actually the only natural forest remaining on the island. Everything else on the island is, essentially, landscaped. The North Woods in Central Park feels pretty natural, but every tree was planned and planted and is tracked.

I was hoping that there might be some trees in Inwood that were alive while Colonists were scrapping with Redcoats up there, but near as I can tell the oldest trees there probably postdate Revolutionary War stuff by 50-100 years.

Well, I am back! Thanks again for all of the tips everyone gave! Hukilaulau, you were correct that I wouldn't have near enough time to do it all! Man, I didn't want to leave! I have been to NYC several times before, but traveling just seems to take on a whole different level of significance when you are geocaching. Here is what we didn't get to do:

We didn't get to go to Brooklyn, we didn't make it to my favorite little pizza place, we didn't do "The Empire Strikes Back" cache (but we have already been there before), we didn't get to see as much of The High Line as I wanted to, we didn't make it up the HUGE incline to The Cloisers, we didn't find a cache in Central Park (not for lack of trying late one night) and we didn't run in to Gerard Butler or Edward Norton. :laughing:

Here is what we did get to do:

We got to see the end of The High Line only to add a DNF to my list because it went from 59 degrees to what seemed like below freezing pretty quick after dark that day and we had to give up because we didn't have our heavy coats on, we had a cupcake at Chelsea Market, we went to The White Tavern for a cache we DNF (no excuses for this one), we went to Inwod Hill Park and found a couple of caches (also dropped and picked up a couple of TB's), we went to Fort Tryon Park and found a cache also dropped a couple of TB's, we did several other non-caching related activities and we stayed at the same hotel as one of the Jonas brothers. :laughing:

Overall, we had an awesome trip! I just wish we could have stayed longer!!! We'll return though, as soon as we can!