Garmin eTrex Legend Help

Stoka

Hi all, a friend asked me the following question regarding his eTrex Legend and I couldn't help him so I wondered if the kind people of this site can throw some light onto it.

I'm going to try not to rant but the simple fact that the GPS device I bought to download maps and walking directions to doesn't simply plug into a computer and work like I would expect it too. Mini rant over.

So can anyone help me hook up my 4 year old device to my new netbook?

I've got a converter to allow the serial port to connect via USB and downloaded a driver (I think) so it sees COM3 as a serial port. I don't then seem able to then find a map to download with waypoints which in turn I hoped would then simply show up on my E-Trek. It may just be me but I expected it to give me the equivalent of turn by turn directions to complete a walk.

Any help would be greatly appreciated but please keep it tech free.

He can add maps to the device if he wants but maps and waypoints are downloaded separately. Also the unit isn't capable of giving turn by turn. Some units give turn by turn driving directions but once you park and start actually looking for the cache there are no turn by turn directions. He will however have a compass pointing him in the direction of the cache and a distance to the cache on the compass screen.

Assuming the serial to USB adapter is compatible with win7 he should be ready to install the Garmin communicator software. Which will allow him to use the send to GPS button on the cache page to download the cache coords to his unit.