Wanted: Ideas for Creating and Maintaining a List of Want-to-do caches

_Shaddow_

I’m hoping for some feedback, tips and advice on an idea I’m working on.

I’m in the process of putting together a master file for travel that will included caches that I want to do including ones I’ve picked out for whatever reason and also to make sure I hit caches needed for a challenge while I’m in an area. The last thing I want to do is get home after a long trip to find I was right next to a cache that I really needed… it’s happened before.

Does anyone else keep a list like this and if so, what is on it and how do you go about maintaining and using it?

Here are the caches and items I’m including at this point:

• Ancient caches
  • Cites
  • Delorme Pages
  • Earth caches
  • Final locations for puzzles I’ve solved
  • Fire Lookouts
  • Hope to add islands at some point (no polys created yet that I know of)
  • Rock hound caches
  • Seattle Thomas Guide Pages
  • Top favorited caches (top twenty right now)
  • Washington History caches
  • Web cams
  • Am I missing something? I always miss something…

Right now I keep some separate GSAK databases and one master Garmin MapSource file. The idea with the latter is to be able to quickly zoom to an area and see on the map which caches I might like to grab when I’m there. There are probably better ways or at least alternate ideas

Any comments are welcome from all included those experienced and inexperienced with GSAK, challenge caches, PQs or this concept.

I’m in the process of putting together a master file for travel that will included caches that I want to do including ones I’ve picked out for whatever reason and also to make sure I hit caches needed for a challenge while I’m in an area. The last thing I want to do is get home after a long trip to find I was right next to a cache that I really needed… it’s happened before.

Does anyone else keep a list like this and if so, what is on it and how do you go about maintaining and using it?

• Ancient caches
  • Cites
  • Delorme Pages
  • Earth caches
  • Fire Lookouts
  • Rock hound caches
  • Web cams

Right now I keep some separate GSAK databases and one master Garmin MapSource file. The idea with the latter is to be able to quickly zoom to an area and see on the map which caches I might like to grab when I’m there. There are probably better ways or at least alternate ideas

Any comments are welcome from all included those experienced and inexperienced with GSAK, challenge caches, PQs or this concept.

Well I have my GSAK database of all my solved puzzles, then I will refresh about once a month PQs for almost all the other ones on your list. So a PQ for lookouts, PQ for history, EC's then dump them all into my POI database in GSAK. Then I filter out unfound but corrected coords from my main database and copy them to the POI database. Then I run a macro on the POI DB that spits out custom icons for each type of cache and a lot of the User data, I put the questions to EC in this field, and export the entire thing as one giant POI file. Then change the GPS to show POIs if less then a 20 mile zoom so I can see them all.

A bit convoluted, that's why I only update once a month.

Well I have my GSAK database of all my solved puzzles, then I will refresh about once a month PQs for almost all the other ones on your list. So a PQ for lookouts, PQ for history, EC's then dump them all into my POI database in GSAK. Then I filter out unfound but corrected coords from my main database and copy them to the POI database. Then I run a macro on the POI DB that spits out custom icons for each type of cache and a lot of the User data, I put the questions to EC in this field, and export the entire thing as one giant POI file. Then change the GPS to show POIs if less then a 20 mile zoom so I can see them all.

Do you then load as a POI file to your GPSr? I've done this before. Not as easy to maintain as you noted but basically unlimited points + more info on each. Do you use a GSAK macro to create the POI? It's been a while since I did it and forgot how or if I used a macro or did it a different way. Plus the new v8 is out and not all macros work with it.

• Ancient caches
  • Cites
  • Delorme Pages
  • Earth caches
  • Fire Lookouts
  • Rock hound caches
  • Web cams

Holy Mother of Pearl, I have no idea what you just said there even though I understand English very well. This issue has been an issue for me for quite some time, but I guess I'm just old school about how I keep track of my lists. I'd love to make it easier but I have a hard time understanding GSAK and feel that it is light years ahead of my basic understanding of computers and computer talk.

I have the whole state of Oregon on my GSAK and yes, its pretty powerful. Its up to dated about avg 4 to 5 days. Its pretty large file. Lets talk about 27,837 of geocaches! There is a way to upload to bookmark from your GSAK and saved alot of time.

You are missing the oldest caches in the county. We got them around here.

If you dont have GSAK 8, update it now. With the newer version, geocaching live can get the top 20 fav caches for you.

If you look at my profile, you can see a map of Oregon with the counties along with the total of caches in each counties.

Edited by SwineFlew

Do you then load as a POI file to your GPSr? I've done this before. Not as easy to maintain as you noted but basically unlimited points + more info on each. Do you use a GSAK macro to create the POI? It's been a while since I did it and forgot how or if I used a macro or did it a different way. Plus the new v8 is out and not all macros work with it.

Use Garmin's POI Loader. It's free. You point it to a folder containing the GPX file(s) you want to upload as POI and it's done. You can use it to uninstall the POI in your GPS, as well. I export three GPX files from GSAK into my POI folder - finds, hides, and waypoints. They get uploaded together, but are separate databases in the GPS, so you can search just one if you want.

That said, I'm sure someone will suggest a GSAK macro that eliminates the need for POI Loader. But it works for my needs.

And to your original query - I use a combination of bookmark lists and GSAK databases to organize my To Do caches for challenges, etc.

Yes, then I use the POI loader to get it into my GPS. That said, I upgraded to Windows 7 in the last year and have had something break. Haven't been able to get the POI loader to work for quite a while.

I use GSAK and MS Streets & Trips. What I like about S&T is that I can have all the different pushpin sets (with different icons is I want) loaded on the map and can hide those I'm not currently interested in (a couple of mouse clicks and they're back). I have sets for areas, challenges, or just interesting caches. It's also easy to plan routes to these (although sometimes different than the GPSr routes me).

There's advantages/disadvantages to having all the data in one big database in GSAK, or having several (many) smaller DB's. I use different DB's for regions, such as home, Reno (Mother-in-law live there), and the like. I use the User Data fields to mark subsets (like page numbers for Delorme/Thomas Guide challenges, or caches along a trail) so it's easy to sort/update (especially now with V8, the GC.com API is great for this). I tend to update my GPSr a couple of times a week, with those caches that I'm more likely going to find (mostly around home), but will change that whenever I'm going to travel outside that range. I don't see the need to have Spokane caches on my GPSr when I'm staying in Western Washington. Nor have the home caches when I'm traveling around Eastern Washington. A laptop is used to hold all the data while traveling, allowing me to update the info and load the caches I need.

Holy Mother of Pearl, I have no idea what you just said there even though I understand English very well. This issue has been an issue for me for quite some time, but I guess I'm just old school about how I keep track of my lists. I'd love to make it easier but I have a hard time understanding GSAK and feel that it is light years ahead of my basic understanding of computers and computer talk.

I have been using GSAK for close to the entire time I have been caching. Little baby steps turned into slightly bigger ones.

Took me a huge amount of time to figure out how the heck a macro works and I still couldn't write one if I had to. It literally took everything I have ever learned about C programing to understand the code well enough to modify the one I use to get it to do what I want.

The Jester used to do a GSAK 101 that was fantastically useful to get me from the most basic functions to something slightly more advanced. There might be a tutorial out there somewhere. Maybe its time for Craig to do another class.

Sorry for the tech speak, I knew that shaddow would understand what I was saying.

Use Garmin's POI Loader. It's free. You point it to a folder containing the GPX file(s) you want to upload as POI and it's done. You can use it to uninstall the POI in your GPS, as well. I export three GPX files from GSAK into my POI folder - finds, hides, and waypoints. They get uploaded together, but are separate databases in the GPS, so you can search just one if you want.

That said, I'm sure someone will suggest a GSAK macro that eliminates the need for POI Loader. But it works for my needs.

And to your original query - I use a combination of bookmark lists and GSAK databases to organize my To Do caches for challenges, etc.

Wow - I can't just skim thru these posts - I need to spend some time going over them & digesting all of this as I'm sure I can use a little upgrade to my process. As of now, I've been pulling caches thru filtered searches from several databases on GSAK depending on an area I am targeting & dumping them all into a separate database on GSAK & then loading to my GPS with a basic macro to tweak it a bit. I can just imagine how outdated my process is... We sure could use a "Tips & Tricks" class. I know I've barely tapped what GSAK can do for me & I've been using it for years.

I have been using GSAK for close to the entire time I have been caching. Little baby steps turned into slightly bigger ones.

Took me a huge amount of time to figure out how the heck a macro works and I still couldn't write one if I had to. It literally took everything I have ever learned about C programing to understand the code well enough to modify the one I use to get it to do what I want.

The Jester used to do a GSAK 101 that was fantastically useful to get me from the most basic functions to something slightly more advanced. There might be a tutorial out there somewhere. Maybe its time for Craig to do another class.

Sorry for the tech speak, I knew that shaddow would understand what I was saying.

And I was all jargon-speak after making a point about inviting all levels of GSAK knowhow, sorry!

GSAK was incredibly intimidating at first, it's scary, overwhelming and there is a very steep initial learning curve. I'm usually a very quick learn on software but not in this case, I did similar to AndrewRJ, basically doing as little as I could at at first, just enough to get it to run, then learned slowly from there as the need arose. I've gotten a lot better with it over the last couple of years but there is still a lot more I know I could be doing with it.

Let me clarify our posts starting at the most basic level (you probably know some of this but other lurkers may not yet):

GPSr = GPS receiver

GSAK = Geocaching Swiss Army Knife a software for storing and using geocaching waypoints and other related information

v8 is referencing the latest version of GSAK, which is version 8. Many of the macros used for v7 don't work or aren't necessary for v8

PQ = Geocaching Pocket Query

EC = Earthcaches

Waypoint = sets of coordinates that identify a point in physical space. (a geocache is a particular type of waypoint on your GPSr) Also known as a POI

POI = Point of Interest which is usually the same as a Waypoint. However, many GPSrs have two different ways of storing waypoints (POIs) and they choose to call them Waypoints and POIs, which confuses the issue. In the GPSr, waypoints are individual files while any POIs are all stored in one master file. Waypoints are limited in number, while POIs are generally unlimited in number though more than say bout 5-10 thousand will start slow the GPSr down to the point of being unusable

POI Database = The POI file used by the GPSr

Corrected coords = The final coordinates for puzzle caches

Macro = A mini-program what runs within GSAK

User data = Custom information for a waypoint

I have the whole state of Oregon on my GSAK and yes, its pretty powerful. Its up to dated about avg 4 to 5 days. Its pretty large file. Lets talk about 27,837 of geocaches! There is a way to upload to bookmark from your GSAK and saved alot of time.

If you look at my profile, you can see a map of Oregon with the counties along with the total of caches in each counties.

I also have a date for the whole state, Washington in this case. Though I update via PQs; are you saying that you have bookmarked them all? For Washington, there are currently 25,000+ caches and due to the 1,000 limit on PQs it takes almost a full week to refresh. That's current enough for me and I can always refresh any particular ones I'm interested. I would however be very interested in making it easier then having to download PQs each day. GSAK will do that with a few well placed clicks but would prefer one or better yet, an automatic process on opening GSAK

I would be interested in more info about these caches

If you dont have GSAK 8, update it now. With the newer version, geocaching live can get the top 20 fav caches for you.

This is news to me! I didn't think favorite points were downloadable yet, or is that just via PQs?

Yes, then I use the POI loader to get it into my GPS. That said, I upgraded to Windows 7 in the last year and have had something break. Haven't been able to get the POI loader to work for quite a while.

Unfortunately POI loader hasn't worked for me for a long time. I've contact Garmin about it but they are not supporting any more, and haven't in a long time, so basically if it works great but if not, too bad. I instead created the POI file (database) and loaded to the GPSr manually. A macro would be a great solution...

hydnsek: how do you then generate information for a trip so that you don't miss any caches that you've previously identified to grab? It's generally easy to pick a spot then determine the caches around the area, but much more difficult to recall special caches when needed.

I also have a date for the whole state, Washington in this case. Though I update via PQs; are you saying that you have bookmarked them all? For Washington, there are currently 25,000+ caches and due to the 1,000 limit on PQs it takes almost a full week to refresh. That's current enough for me and I can always refresh any particular ones I'm interested. I would however be very interested in making it easier then having to download PQs each day. GSAK will do that with a few well placed clicks but would prefer one or better yet, an automatic process on opening GSAK

I would be interested in more info about these caches

This is news to me! I didn't think favorite points were downloadable yet, or is that just via PQs?

So far its only work with the Refresh or get cache via API on GSAK 8

I need to add that you can get 6000 more caches or refresh per day via GSAK API. YEA!!! I love it! Right now, I only run PQ on the newer placed caches and use the ADD ONLY option and use the refresh API to to keep the everything up to date. That way I can keep all the logs per cache. Yes, I got over 1.5 m logs. :ph34r::blink:

Edited by SwineFlew

I need to add that you can get 6000 more caches or refresh per day via GSAK API. YEA!!! I love it! Right now, I only run PQ on the newer placed caches and use the ADD ONLY option and use the refresh API to to keep the everything up to date. That way I can keep all the logs per cache. Yes, I got over 1.5 m logs. :ph34r::blink:

Very cool and will be great for locating good caches. But only 6,000 caches allowed per day; how do you manage updating your 27,000+ database.

---> see that you edited your post with this info

Edited by _Shaddow_

Very cool and will be great for locating good caches. But only 6,000 caches allowed per day; how do you manage updating your 27,000+ database.

With a plan. I use the date placed filter and try to get to 6000 cache on the filter (go smaller if your computer is old and always crushing) And I saved that filter. It take 4 to 5 days to keep my database up to date. It can be faster if saving the logs doesnt matter. If logs doesnt matter, you can keep 11k caches up to date per day but as this point, the fav data is only available via API. So if the FAV point data is important to you, you can only update 6k a day since it doesnt work via PQ at this point.

Edited by SwineFlew

With a plan. I use the date placed filter and try to get to 6000 cache on the filter (go smaller if your computer is old and always crushing) And I saved that filter. It take 4 to 5 days to keep my database up to date. It can be faster if saving the logs doesnt matter. If logs doesnt matter, you can keep 11k caches up to date per day but as this point, the fav data is only available via API. So if the FAV data is important to you, you can only update 6k a day since it doesnt work via PQ at this point.

Let's see if I understand this correctly

1. Set up the database via PQs, then delete these PQs
  2. Single PQ for new caches, so basically one PQ say once a day or once a week
  3. Refresh database for status and favorites changes via 5 filters (27,000/6,000=4.5) - each day select the next filter and run refresh

Can you go into detail a little more about the logs, add and number of caches refreshed?

I though refresh was capped at 6,000 caches / day, how is not including the logs up that to 12,000?

What does the add function do and why use it?

Refresh seems to limit the number of logs added to 30; if more than 30 were added before the last refresh, does that mean some are missed? How do you get previous logs or don't you? I'm not that interested in older logs, just curious.

now about bookmark, you can use this macro, http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=1452&st=0entry93084. Just make a filter of what you want to bookmark on your GSAK and start up this macro and go from there. It will save you alot of time. This is how the pro are doing it. SHHH..

I wanted to check in GSAK before asking you my next questions but it's still setting up refresh for 6,000 caches, wow it sure its taking a lot of time. My computer isn't the fastest but it's not underpowered either.

So I'll just a take a poke at asking...

Doesn't GSAK have a build-in bookmarking tool? I swear I used it the other day.

now about bookmark, you can use this macro, http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=1452&st=0entry93084. Just make a filter of what you want to bookmark on your GSAK and start up this macro and go from there. It will save you alot of time. This is how the pro are doing it. SHHH..

I wanted to check in GSAK before asking you my next questions but it's still setting up refresh for 6,000 caches, wow it sure its taking a lot of time. My computer isn't the fastest but it's not underpowered either.

I think they do, not sure.

Just checked they do; they must have taken that macro to heart with the new v8

GSAK bombed out after more than 10 minutes into the refresh, you weren't kidding about need resources, I'm running a dual processor with 2 gb ram

Let's see if I understand this correctly

1. Set up the database via PQs, then delete these PQs
  2. Single PQ for new caches, so basically one PQ say once a day or once a week
  3. Refresh database for status and favorites changes via 5 filters (27,000/6,000=4.5) - each day select the next filter and run refresh

Can you go into detail a little more about the logs, add and number of caches refreshed?

I though refresh was capped at 6,000 caches / day, how is not including the logs up that to 12,000?

What does the add function do and why use it?

Refresh seems to limit the number of logs added to 30; if more than 30 were added before the last refresh, does that mean some are missed? How do you get previous logs or don't you? I'm not that interested in older logs, just curious.

1 Yes but dont delete the PQ, you will need to run them once a while (reviewers can bring old caches out of the grave and it happens a few time so far!!) LOL. make sure you have the total number in the PQ name. Do a fake run to see if the total number go up, and if it does, run it and upload it on your database as "ADD ONLY" Dont wanna mess everything up so only add caches that arent on the database when you are this far along.

2. Yes.. For right now... I got a PQ that I run everyday with date from Dec 1 2011 to dec 31 2012 (need to get those events if you want) Once they get maxed out, I will change the date. You want to go back a little since some cache dont get published right away and it got a older placed date on it even it was published today. Very common for puzzle caches.

3 Correct and new logs as well, you can go up to 30 extra logs. :) It will update any change the CO made on the cache page.

11k is when you use the PQ (not "add in" but update everything) and the refresh (5k for PQ and 6k for refresh) Plus, there is two different type of data format, Full (6k a day) and Light (10k a day) I dont like the light format because it doesnt have enough info for me to work with. Only do this if the fav point or logs isnt important to you. That may change if GS allows Fav points via PQ)

Now, about logs...you can download it unlimited with a time out every min. (meaning, if you run for a hour, only 30 mins for getting log data because of the time out) Its under "get recent logs" It does only log update, nothing else.

I am sure you got more question but i am sure this will get you going.

GSAK bombed out after more than 10 minutes into the refresh, you weren't kidding about need resources, I'm running a dual processor with 2 gb ram

I just found it, so yes, u are right.

That must be the threshold. I'm running with 3GB RAM and haven't crashed it yet.

That must be the threshold. I'm running with 3GB RAM and haven't crashed it yet.

I crashed mine many minutes into it with 2GB ram trying to refresh 5000 caches via the API using gsak8. I later found that I had somehow set it to 30 logs, which I'm guessing was part of the issue.

You can also take your GSAK database(s) with you on a smartphone if you use iGeoKnife for iOS, or GDAK for Android. I think the filtering ability is still pretty limited at this stage, but I'm sure that will improve.

Along those lines, the various geocaching apps available for smartphones can really ease the process of tracking the caches you want to focus on. There is also a GSAK filter available that will generate a NeonGeo (Android) compatible database.

All the tedious futzing with GPX and POI files is going to become an option, rather than a necessity.

I crashed mine many minutes into it with 2GB ram trying to refresh 5000 caches via the API using gsak8. I later found that I had somehow set it to 30 logs, which I'm guessing was part of the issue.

Just ran it again using 6,000 but with logs set to 5 and it worked. It worked very slow but it worked (~40 minutes or so). Must have been the logs setting. Tomorrow I think I'll push it higher to see where I hit the wall...

You can also take your GSAK database(s) with you on a smartphone if you use iGeoKnife for iOS, or GDAK for Android. I think the filtering ability is still pretty limited at this stage, but I'm sure that will improve.

Along those lines, the various geocaching apps available for smartphones can really ease the process of tracking the caches you want to focus on. There is also a GSAK filter available that will generate a NeonGeo (Android) compatible database.

All the tedious futzing with GPX and POI files is going to become an option, rather than a necessity.

Good info, I will look into these apps for my android phone

A portable database might be a great option both for then I find myself away from home and unexpectantly have time for caching or just to have when caching; I'd have all the descriptions, past logs etc as well and with the GPSr on the phone it will know exactly where I'm at so I could basically (hopefully) bring up a custom map showing just my want-to-dos rather then a map with all the local caches.

A portable database might be a great option both for then I find myself away from home and unexpectantly have time for caching or just to have when caching; I'd have all the descriptions, past logs etc as well and with the GPSr on the phone it will know exactly where I'm at so I could basically (hopefully) bring up a custom map showing just my want-to-dos rather then a map with all the local caches.

GDAK can also store all the images if you have grabbed them in GSAK. Both the official Groundspeak app and c:geo allow you to import GPX files into separate lists and the aforementioned GSAK macro allows you to create a custom NeonGeo db of caches from a GSAK filter. They would all allow you to see just your targeted caches on a map.

None of these apps are going to make you want to leave your dedicated GPS at home, but they can be really helpful, especially if you have a fairly new high-end phone. I found them all to be hatefully sluggish on my old phone.

GDAK can also store all the images if you have grabbed them in GSAK. Both the official Groundspeak app and c:geo allow you to import GPX files into separate lists and the aforementioned GSAK macro allows you to create a custom NeonGeo db of caches from a GSAK filter. They would all allow you to see just your targeted caches on a map.

None of these apps are going to make you want to leave your dedicated GPS at home, but they can be really helpful, especially if you have a fairly new high-end phone. I found them all to be hatefully sluggish on my old phone.

I use cgeo (and have never used GS app) and am familiar with importing GPX files but have never used the list feature. I've never understood the advantage for that. Can you create a short list and is it possible to have cgeo display on a map only the members of that list? If so, that might do what I need just fine

I've never downloaded the images either, simply because most of them aren't necessary for searching though an occasional spoiler picture would have come in very handy in out-of-cell-range conditions.

I was without a GPSr for almost a year recently and found that I could cache quite well without it. I learned how to modify NW Topos to work with one of the mapping apps and I even used my phone for some on and far-off-trail hiking and it did well. And, I will strongly argue that my phone is more accurate than my 60CSx (yes, I did just say that and mean it!). The problems I've ran into where battery usage, durability and easy of use and so I agree that a GPSr beats a smartphone hands down overall. My phone is older now too and is just barely functioning above my that's-it-I'm-thowing-it-out-the-window limit :lol:

Unfortunately POI loader hasn't worked for me for a long time. I've contact Garmin about it but they are not supporting any more, and haven't in a long time, so basically if it works great but if not, too bad. I instead created the POI file (database) and loaded to the GPSr manually. A macro would be a great solution...

hydnsek: how do you then generate information for a trip so that you don't miss any caches that you've previously identified to grab? It's generally easy to pick a spot then determine the caches around the area, but much more difficult to recall special caches when needed.

I assume you mean the export=>POI in GSAK. The macro I used to use spits out each type of cache as its own file and then could load those files in my GPS with custom icons. like I said, hasn't worked in a while. I am thinking that an upgrade may have to happen to get a similar function back.

I assume you mean the export=>POI in GSAK. The macro I used to use spits out each type of cache as its own file and then could load those files in my GPS with custom icons. like I said, hasn't worked in a while. I am thinking that an upgrade may have to happen to get a similar function back.

Two different things here I think.

The first part: the macro should still work to spit out the POI file.

The second part: the POI loader is no longer supported and does not work for many, so it's no longer an option for uploading the POI file or custom icons.

The good news is that the POI file be manually uploaded. In fact, multiple POI files can be uploaded and switched between. However, custom icons are no longer an option.

FWIW I believe the lack of support for the POI load has to do with pushing the newer GPSrs which support this directly rather then through a secondary software

The second part: the POI loader is no longer supported and does not work for many, so it's no longer an option for uploading the POI file or custom icons.

The good news is that the POI file be manually uploaded. In fact, multiple POI files can be uploaded and switched between. However, custom icons are no longer an option.

FWIW I believe the lack of support for the POI load has to do with pushing the newer GPSrs which support this directly rather then through a secondary software

Or are you saying that the macro can directly upload the POI file? And it doesn't use the POI Loader? If so, that would be great.

Or are you saying that the macro can directly upload the POI file? And it doesn't use the POI Loader? If so, that would be great.

no you are correct, it loaded the POI loader program at the end of the process. It is the POI Loader that is failing.

Unfortunately POI loader hasn't worked for me for a long time. I've contact Garmin about it but they are not supporting any more, and haven't in a long time, so basically if it works great but if not, too bad.

Are you sure they don't support it? They don't seem be interested in supporting serial interfaces, even with a Serial to USB converter. The latest version was released just last August. It works fine for me on both Windows and Macs.

Edited by B+L

Unfortunately POI loader hasn't worked for me for a long time. I've contact Garmin about it but they are not supporting any more, and haven't in a long time, so basically if it works great but if not, too bad.

Are you sure they don't support it? They don't seem be interested in supporting serial interfaces, even with a Serial to USB converter. The latest version was released just last August. It works fine for me on both Windows and Macs.

That is what I was told by Garmin tech support when I called to troubleshoot. Basically, they said it's not working for everyone and if it doesn't, then that's that. Not said in a negative way but stating the facts when we were discussing about it not supported anymore. They were very good about helping troubleshoot to the point of identifying it's the software, rather than say the unit.

BTW I'm using USB

Edited by _Shaddow_

That is what I was told by Garmin tech support when I called to troubleshoot. Basically, they said it's not working for everyone and if it doesn't, then that's that. Not said in a negative way but stating the facts when we were discussing about it not supported anymore. They were very good about helping troubleshoot to the point of identifying it's the software, rather than say the unit.

BTW I'm using USB

I'm still running XP, don't know if that makes a difference. It is hit and miss, just don't know what the particulars are

BTW I'm using USB

Interesting. They just won't support it. Best bet then is to delete it, make sure the registry entries are removed and re-install it. Use Revo Uninstaller and it will do the dirty work for you including making a restore point in case something goes wrong (unlikely).

BTW I'm using USB

Interesting. They just won't support it. Best bet then is to delete it, make sure the registry entries are removed and re-install it. Use Revo Uninstaller and it will do the dirty work for you including making a restore point in case something goes wrong (unlikely).

I've had Revo (free version) downloaded for a few months but have never used it, glad to have a reason! But I already uninstalled POI via Windows. Do you recommend reinstalling normally then using Revo to uninstall? Or maybe use something like Zsoft Uninstaller to track the install, then uninstall it that way?

BTW I'm using USB

I've had Revo (free version) downloaded for a few months but have never used it, glad to have a reason! But I already uninstalled POI via Windows. Do you recommend reinstalling normally then using Revo to uninstall? Or maybe use something like Zsoft Uninstaller to track the install, then uninstall it that way?

You could try CCleaner and look for orphaned registry entries from the POI Loader. Otherwise, Revo seems to work fine. If it fails to improve the situation, then you could try tracking the install so you can be certain you have a clean system after an uninstall. It's possible something is messed up that will only get fixed by a system wipe, or by finding a good restore point. Before I'd do that, I'd try to find someone with a working system and do a registry diff of the POI Loader keys. At some point it becomes faster and easier to just wipe the machine and start fresh, but please don't do that if you are not confident in your ability to backup and restore all of your installed software and data.

I would think adding Thomas Guide challenge stuff without doing manual work to some level would be difficult because every cache is on a page if you think about it.

You can use the Thomas Guide Macro combined with the county macro (as some pages are in multiple counties and that Thomas Guide macro at least had a little bug about those pages) to give you a list to choose from and then maybe flag/choose/select (whatever method you use) to get the caches you want. Perhaps create a separate Thomas Guide GSAK database and load them up if you know you are roving to areas you have not been to before. Thus if you had say 5 caches per grid and there are what about 80 grids, your database would have 400 caches in it, probably a little less as some grids wont have 5 to choose from. You would have to recheck it once in a while in case some of those caches before unfindable, but its easy to find new ones with those GSAK macros.

Personally I loaded up 3-5 caches per grid in my GSAK database, otherwise it gets to be too many. There are obviously some grids like 769 which has only 1 cache in its grid. I really only worry about the grids when I am planning a trip otherwise my GPS will have too many.

FYI, the Kitsap, Snohomish and Pierce are nice Thomas Guide challenges as well.

Sorry if this was too much of a ramble.

Edited by lamoracke

I would think adding Thomas Guide challenge stuff without doing manual work to some level would be difficult because every cache is on a page if you think about it.

You can use the Thomas Guide Macro combined with the county macro (as some pages are in multiple counties and that Thomas Guide macro at least had a little bug about those pages) to give you a list to choose from and then maybe flag/choose/select (whatever method you use) to get the caches you want. Perhaps create a separate Thomas Guide GSAK database and load them up if you know you are roving to areas you have not been to before. Thus if you had say 5 caches per grid and there are what about 80 grids, your database would have 400 caches in it, probably a little less as some grids wont have 5 to choose from. You would have to recheck it once in a while in case some of those caches before unfindable, but its easy to find new ones with those GSAK macros.

Personally I loaded up 3-5 caches per grid in my GSAK database, otherwise it gets to be too many. There are obviously some grids like 769 which has only 1 cache in its grid. I really only worry about the grids when I am planning a trip otherwise my GPS will have too many.

FYI, the Kitsap, Snohomish and Pierce are nice Thomas Guide challenges as well.

Sorry if this was too much of a ramble.

On the contrary, exactly the type of info / discussion / sharing I was hoping for. I like your ideas and will think about them, maybe using caches that are along major routes that I'm likely to travel. Also, for the low cache grids, good idea to flag those too.

How I'm currently dealing with that is using the tracks files from the challenge page that outline each page. I've got a master MapSource file and these tracks are in there and colored red for ones I still need and green for ones I've found. When I'm preparing to go to an area, rather than load particular caches, I simply load any nearby red tracks to my GPSr. When in the area, I can tell when I'm within the page boundary because the track is displayed along with any caches. I usually then use my phone to look for nearby caches and go grab one. Alternately, I would load a bunch of caches in that area not being picky about which ones, but just to provide enough for an opportunist grab.

I want to do the same with your island challenge, to flag spots within which would be advantageous to grab a cache when I'm in the area. I can't find any files for that online and it would be a lot of work to create from scratch.

I would like to do the same for

well, one advantage of my island challenge, its pretty easy (for the most part) to know what island you are on and most you have to plan to do like the San Juans, Anderson, and of course all the personal boat caches. I mean, you are not going to just suddenly find yourself on Lopez Island...if you are going there, you would load the caches on there.

The only islands I can see as ones you would not know by a very quick glance would be Ebey, Craft/Fir, and Smith.

Most of the very small islands in it have a complete listing of all the caches in them in my bookmark list and every island has at least a sample of a cache.

Another idea for your databases is this. Pierce County is not an area I frequent often. I am doing a run there on 2/29 (cant recall if you were in that email, I think you were). I am going for some grids that day, when I was loading them up I made sure to concentrate on spots that were in other challenges, like the Washington Cities and Towns Challenge. I may never get that challenge done for various reasons but if I am going to be in an area near one of its cities, I might as well get them.

However, I do a lot of this work manually myself. I have a 2010 Thomas Guide book. I like doing it manual, kinda planning my possible routes.

Using GSAK there are several ways to maintain want-to-do lists.

I find it easier to keep one DB of caches for a region (whatever size you want to define that as - county, state, city, etc.). Trying to maintain the same cache in multiple DBs, to me, is very hard to do, YMMV. So I have one DB that I then ID caches using 'flags' in the User Data fields. The flags (different than the GSAK User Flag) are text that I can sort on, such as 'PCTrails' (Pierce County Trails), 'Vashon' (the island), 'Boat' (boat only), or 'PPeak' (the caches on Pinnicle Peak). Using these I can sort for (or sort out) these caches (my 'standard' list of caches to be found around home use the 'Boat' and 'Vashon' flags to exclude those as it takes special planning to get those caches). When I'm ready to hike Pinnicle Peak I can easily filter to those caches and load them on the GPSr/PDA (I'm still old school...).

Using the 'Set this cache as Center Point' option (right click menu) you can pick one of the 'target' caches, sort by distance and look at other caches nearby which might be on another list - such as, when planning the Pinnicle Peak hike, I can see if there are other desired caches nearby/on the way.

With the new Version 8 the GC API gives you a easy way to find which caches are on which page of the map challenges. The 'Get Geocaches' option allows you to put in a bounding box to limit caches returned. The King County Thomas Guide Challenge has a list of corner waypoints, use the upper left and lower right to define the box and all the caches within that page are returned. Upon import (or update if already in your DB) have them flagged, filter to the flagged, and global replace some text into one of the User Data columns to ID those caches (I use 'KCTGxxx' with the page number).

The other way is the Google Map option, where you can set the size of the box, or radius circle, on the map. You can move the center point to where you want, say an island, and then adjust the size of the box/circle to cover the area you want.

The API option "refresh cache data..." allows you to get updates to just the caches you want. Filter to the caches you're interested in and select this option with "all in filter" and you will get any changes to the caches and up to 30 logs. This option does not show any new caches nearby, but allows you to get updates just before leaving for the trip.

If you want more logs than the "Get" or "Refresh" options allow (max 30 - better than the indiviual GPX file download). Use the API function "Get Recent Logs...". Enter the number of logs wanted (to get all look at the cache page on GC.com and enter a number larger than the total). You can do this for indvidual caches or entire filters. You can only get logs starting with the newest, you can't specify dates, just quantity.

There are limits to how much you can use the API. You can get full info on up to 6000 caches per 24 hours (there is the option to get 'lite' data on the 'Get Caches' option, that limit is 10,000 per 24 hours - kind of like LOC files - good for planning, then a 'Refresh' to get full data for those you want). This is in addition to the 5000 you can get with PQs. GSAK has the option to show you your balances left. You can also only make 30 API calls per minute, this generally only limits the speed of 'Get Logs' calls, GSAK will pause to let the minute elapse and then continues downloading data (each 'Get' or 'Refresh' is one API call, every 30 logs in the 'Get Logs' is one API call).

There's some of the options in GSAK, I'll share some ideas of planning a run in another post.

One other thing I meant to mention - Custom Fields. These are data fields you can add to your DB and give you more sorting/filtering options. You can set up a field for map page numbers or boolean (true/false) fields for different challenges. See the GSAK help for details.

That what make GSAK so powerful and most people dont know their way around GSAK that great.

my advice is, dont try something you dont know with your important DB. Start up a test DB and play with it. Thats how I learned.

well, one advantage of my island challenge, its pretty easy (for the most part) to know what island you are on and most you have to plan to do like the San Juans, Anderson, and of course all the personal boat caches. I mean, you are not going to just suddenly find yourself on Lopez Island...if you are going there, you would load the caches on there.

The only islands I can see as ones you would not know by a very quick glance would be Ebey, Craft/Fir, and Smith.

Most of the very small islands in it have a complete listing of all the caches in them in my bookmark list and every island has at least a sample of a cache.

Another idea for your databases is this. Pierce County is not an area I frequent often. I am doing a run there on 2/29 (cant recall if you were in that email, I think you were). I am going for some grids that day, when I was loading them up I made sure to concentrate on spots that were in other challenges, like the Washington Cities and Towns Challenge. I may never get that challenge done for various reasons but if I am going to be in an area near one of its cities, I might as well get them.

However, I do a lot of this work manually myself. I have a 2010 Thomas Guide book. I like doing it manual, kinda planning my possible routes.

Good point and works for the most part when on an island or going to one. Though if I'm only going to be close, or close enough to divert, then I want to quickly see that. I'm hoping to have a very visual reference, look at a map and look for red lines indicating areas that fit a cache. And also to concintrate my efforts, for example, one of your island caches could within one of the city boundaries which could be within a Thomas page withn a Delorme page finally within a county page. Also, if I have gotten one of those, the line would green for quick reference that it's done. I really need to post a screen shot to show how I do it

Exactly my thinking, what to get what I might need or want later while I'm in the area

This is a good point, some of us do it differently because we like different aspects. I'm not so much into the planning part and would rather like it to be as easy as possible while still reasonably reliable.

Using GSAK there are several ways to maintain want-to-do lists.

I find it easier to keep one DB of caches for a region (whatever size you want to define that as - county, state, city, etc.). Trying to maintain the same cache in multiple DBs, to me, is very hard to do, YMMV. So I have one DB that I then ID caches using 'flags' in the User Data fields. The flags (different than the GSAK User Flag) are text that I can sort on, such as 'PCTrails' (Pierce County Trails), 'Vashon' (the island), 'Boat' (boat only), or 'PPeak' (the caches on Pinnicle Peak). Using these I can sort for (or sort out) these caches (my 'standard' list of caches to be found around home use the 'Boat' and 'Vashon' flags to exclude those as it takes special planning to get those caches). When I'm ready to hike Pinnicle Peak I can easily filter to those caches and load them on the GPSr/PDA (I'm still old school...).

Using the 'Set this cache as Center Point' option (right click menu) you can pick one of the 'target' caches, sort by distance and look at other caches nearby which might be on another list - such as, when planning the Pinnicle Peak hike, I can see if there are other desired caches nearby/on the way.

With the new Version 8 the GC API gives you a easy way to find which caches are on which page of the map challenges. The 'Get Geocaches' option allows you to put in a bounding box to limit caches returned. The King County Thomas Guide Challenge has a list of corner waypoints, use the upper left and lower right to define the box and all the caches within that page are returned. Upon import (or update if already in your DB) have them flagged, filter to the flagged, and global replace some text into one of the User Data columns to ID those caches (I use 'KCTGxxx' with the page number).

The other way is the Google Map option, where you can set the size of the box, or radius circle, on the map. You can move the center point to where you want, say an island, and then adjust the size of the box/circle to cover the area you want.

The API option "refresh cache data..." allows you to get updates to just the caches you want. Filter to the caches you're interested in and select this option with "all in filter" and you will get any changes to the caches and up to 30 logs. This option does not show any new caches nearby, but allows you to get updates just before leaving for the trip.

If you want more logs than the "Get" or "Refresh" options allow (max 30 - better than the indiviual GPX file download). Use the API function "Get Recent Logs...". Enter the number of logs wanted (to get all look at the cache page on GC.com and enter a number larger than the total). You can do this for indvidual caches or entire filters. You can only get logs starting with the newest, you can't specify dates, just quantity.

There are limits to how much you can use the API. You can get full info on up to 6000 caches per 24 hours (there is the option to get 'lite' data on the 'Get Caches' option, that limit is 10,000 per 24 hours - kind of like LOC files - good for planning, then a 'Refresh' to get full data for those you want). This is in addition to the 5000 you can get with PQs. GSAK has the option to show you your balances left. You can also only make 30 API calls per minute, this generally only limits the speed of 'Get Logs' calls, GSAK will pause to let the minute elapse and then continues downloading data (each 'Get' or 'Refresh' is one API call, every 30 logs in the 'Get Logs' is one API call).

There's some of the options in GSAK, I'll share some ideas of planning a run in another post.

One other thing I meant to mention - Custom Fields. These are data fields you can add to your DB and give you more sorting/filtering options. You can set up a field for map page numbers or boolean (true/false) fields for different challenges. See the GSAK help for details.

Separate databases is just another organization scheme that I was using because I didn't know about custom fields and yes it is a lot of work to keep them updated. I do have a master database for WA state but didn't have a good way to single out challenge caches. Custom fields would be a great solution, especially when some caches might fulfill more than one challenge.

Currently I refresh my database via PQ's; using the tools you've mentioned, would it be better to maintain the database that way? Or maybe, are you suggesting that I don't maintain it globally at all, but rather just update parts of it based on the small area that I'll be caching? That might be a great way of doing it. Then just would a PQ to get the new caches into the database.

That what make GSAK so powerful and most people dont know their way around GSAK that great.

my advice is, dont try something you dont know with your important DB. Start up a test DB and play with it. Thats how I learned.

I think that is the conclusion I'm coming to, GSAK will be the answer. Not only that, it will be well worth the effort to more fully understand it and then set it up as I need; in the long run that will be a lot less work (which of course = more caching!)

I agree with that; backups have saved mine more than once