Garmin Colorado 300 won't show caches anymore

dunnno

Hello y'all :)

All of a sudden I'm facing a problem that is my garmin colorado 300 doesnt show the geocaches i load (GPX file from a pocket query). When i access the geocache menu on the device, it simply says "No results". I didnt change anything (as i remember) and i always copy/paste/replace the file into the GPX folder.

The device has the latest firmware, and everything is properly in place. I just don't understand why.

Maybe a hint : it does show the cache i send individually from the cache page over at geocaching.com

innit strange ?

Any clue? i'm very clueless on this one, thanks ;)

Based on your last statement this may not be the case, but when you are on the page that says no matches found, go to options, and then Spell. Make sure that you don't have anything typed in there. I have been caught by that one. Doesn't seem to start over when you think it should.

I found out that if I load an old pocket query GPX (october 2011), that works. Has there been any change in the file format over there at Groundspeak side?

EDIT: has a possible change been done since you can put the corrected coordinates at a cache detail? (unknown/mystery cache)

Edited by dunnno

Ok then, I'm ready to format the GPSr as soon as I put the hand on the firmware updater. I wonder how it came corrupted?

This is a long standing and ignored issue with Colorado's if you search back you will find issues with this going back a few years. I have sent GPX files to Garmin, changed software, formatted it and still it happens.

But, there is no logic to it you can load a GPX file and it is fine, or it loads some of the caches or none, I also have had issues where other individual GPX cache files do not appear when the main GPX file is loaded.

The best way around it I have found is, connect to your PC, delete the GPX files from the unit, unplug it, start it up, thenturn it off and connect back to the PC and load the GPX file again, but before you go out check it seems to have loaded all the caches. I tend to then search for ones at the edge of the GPX zone by name and if they appear all is well.

Garmin are aware, claim it is a one off but lots of people have complained but nothing. Loading smaller files does seem to make it less likely to happen. It does happen to Oregons from time to time as I understand it, but is much less frequent from what I gather.

Thanks Red90, i did it of course, i tried every ways possible. I loaded, nothing, i deleted, emptied the trash, i turned it on, (even waited for a fix), turned it off, put the gpx file back in, turned it on, nothing.

I tried several times.

Then i loaded a smaller gpx file (around 50 caches), there all are visible.

I thought i got a lucky file that would make every other file as it "unblocked" the device, no, nothing of the second gpx showed.

Then Gushoneybun replied to the topic, i tried to make smaller gpx files (which individually added make the "big" one that doesn't work, around 700 caches), 3 gpx files of around 200 caches each, and every caches are shown.

The solution, that i'm afraid is "rickety", is to load gpx file of arund 200 caches.

( i don't want to try more caches in a file as i don't want to break the luck :P)

The solution, that i'm afraid is "rickety", is to load gpx file of arund 200 caches.

( i don't want to try more caches in a file as i don't want to break the luck :P)

I normally load a GPX file with are 1700 or so caches, there are occasions when I have to load it a couple of times before it takes, but as I mentioned earlier sometimes its fine.

You have a bad GPX file, if it just the one file that does not work.

You can also do a master reset. Hold both soft buttons during a boot. You only lose the waypoints and the current track. If you want those, back them up first. Everything else stays unchanged.

Edited by Red90

You have a bad GPX file, if it just the one file that does not work.

You can also do a master reset. Hold both soft buttons during a boot. You only lose the waypoints and the current track. If you want those, back them up first. Everything else stays unchanged.

Well, I did another test, I've loaded a 1000 caches GPX file, and i'm intrigued to say that it has succesfully loaded ... I'm lost at the boulangerie (as we say here :P ).

Hi

I have been having similar problems with my dekota 10. Have gone looking for several geocaches that i knew should be there, which wern't displayed before i really worked out that my gps is seemingly arbitarily displaying some of the gpx files and not others. had wondered if it gets to a faulty file and gives up as somone suggested earlier need to test that theory. any further ideas?

Simon

Ok then, I'm ready to format the GPSr as soon as I put the hand on the firmware updater. I wonder how it came corrupted?

This is a long standing and ignored issue with Colorado's if you search back you will find issues with this going back a few years. I have sent GPX files to Garmin, changed software, formatted it and still it happens.

But, there is no logic to it you can load a GPX file and it is fine, or it loads some of the caches or none, I also have had issues where other individual GPX cache files do not appear when the main GPX file is loaded.

The best way around it I have found is, connect to your PC, delete the GPX files from the unit, unplug it, start it up, thenturn it off and connect back to the PC and load the GPX file again, but before you go out check it seems to have loaded all the caches. I tend to then search for ones at the edge of the GPX zone by name and if they appear all is well.

Garmin are aware, claim it is a one off but lots of people have complained but nothing. Loading smaller files does seem to make it less likely to happen. It does happen to Oregons from time to time as I understand it, but is much less frequent from what I gather.

This is very interesting.

I am having trouble with some caches not showing up on my Montana 650 right now.

I confirm they are in fact part of the PQ I load, but they are ignore when the file is indexed.

I deleted the PQ and sent the geocache.gpx file directly to my Montana from GC.com and still it will not index it.

Certainly seems something is wrong with the GPX file from GC.com

The GPX file is indexed the first time the GPS reads it and registered in inaccessible internal memory. Occasionally the GPS has trouble and chokes on a GPX when booting then ignores it and others on subsequent startups. The GPS reads them as an existing GPX file and will not load it unless you can make that internal registry change. The only way to do this is to do a clean GPX file boot with no GPX files loaded. You must remove all GPX files and start up the GPS. You need to connect the GPS to a computer to remove GPX files from the internal memory. You can pull the external memory to remove the GPX files if you keep your PQ’s on the external memory. This can be done easily out in the field. That’s why we say it is much better to keep your GPX files on your external memory. Once the GPS has done a complete restart with no GPX files the internal registry is blank. Now any GPX files added to the GPS will be seen as new files and will load during the next start up.

Edited by Cacheoholic