Lists in hints

Dru Morgan

have you ever wanted to make your hints in your description for your cache have html formating? If you use any html, the codes themselves get rot13'd and then become rendered useless. You can only see the formatting after they click the 'decode' link. If they print it out before they decode, then they lose the formatting. I came up with a solution that works for this situation. First, figure out the rot13 for your html tags and then use both the regular one and the rot13 one every time you would use a tag. Then one of them gets ignored depending on the view they have chosen. Here is an example of an ordered list in one of my caches...

Spy Kids

Fooling around with the system I came up with this solution and I offer it here if anyone cares.

stealyourcache.gif Half my life is spent explaining to Christians why I am a deadhead. The other half is spent explaining to deadheads why I am a Christian. -Dru Morgan

Dru Morgan...

I know some HTML but I've never heard of "Rot13". Can you please explain what this is? I have needed the ability to use HTML in my hints for a while becuase I like to give "progressive" hints. My progressive hints (usually about 4 of 'em) start with a very general clue, for someone who needs just a little extra help. For those that seem more clueless, they can decode more of the hints to help them in their search. I wish more people would use progressive hints and not just true spoilers.

Thanks in advance for your help with Rot13.

Scott of Team GeoDillo

quote:
I know some HTML but I've never heard of "Rot13". Can you please explain what this is?

I can help with this one! icon_smile.gif

Rot13 is the nickname among techies for the simple "encryption" scheme used on geocaching.com. It is named Rot13 because each letter can be translated by taking that letter's value and adding or subtracting 13 (basically rotating by 13).

If you want an easy web converter for Rot13, there's an easy one at Rot13.com.

Dru, I've got to say that this is a very clever workaround! Very cool.

NomadRaven

Hi Dru Morgan,

I have done this in the description for this cache. Have a look at the HTML source before and after clicking 'Decrypt'

Basically you ad every Tag twice not encoded and encrypting. But beware that the 'encrypted' tag does not corrupt your page.

Gert

Short cuts make long delays.

Sweet idea Dru. Thanks for posting icon_smile.gif You could probably use this to make the encrypted hint turn into an image when it's clicked as well?

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

have you ever wanted to make your hints in your description for your cache have html formating?

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Remember you can also use [don't encrypt me] brackets... They'll make it a little more messy, though, but the stuff in them won't be encrypted.

(So, you could do [

1. ] item 1... [
  2. ] item 2 [

], but it'd leave brackets lying around.)

Oh, one other thing to note. Your HTML is not quite well-formed. If you want to be more-or-less sure your HTML will display on all browsers (or at least the ones other than the one(s) you're using), you should be careful.

quote:

should be
quote:

(i.e. close the tags in the reverse order you opened them) Other than that little nit, it looks quite nice.

(By the way, editing messages in here with

in them is a royal pain in the everything. icon_rolleyes.gif.)

[This message was edited by ClayJar on December 19, 2002 at 08:49 PM.]