[Suggestion] Import GPX files

texasgrillchef

Suggestion: Import GPX files.

By having this feature. We could tranfer via iTunes, GPX files to the app. The GPX files transfered and imported into the iPhone app would be considered a "Saved" list and would go into that area.

This would allow us better control, and easier control over creating, & editing saved lists, as well as viewing them in our iPhone app.

Yes, one can create a PQ, and download to the iPhone. Yet CURRENTLY, there are MASSIVE limitations to what kinds of lists we can create with a PQ. What can or can't be included in a PQ list etc...

By allowing us to import our own GPX files into the "Saved" list section. It would allow us more as well as better control.

Surely I am not the only cacher that would find this usefull and a nice feature to have????

TGC

+1

[

quote name=texasgrillchef' timestamp='1326143188' post='4942003]

Suggestion: Import GPX files.

By having this feature. We could tranfer via iTunes, GPX files to the app. The GPX files transfered and imported into the iPhone app would be considered a "Saved" list and would go into that area.

This would allow us better control, and easier control over creating, & editing saved lists, as well as viewing them in our iPhone app.

Yes, one can create a PQ, and download to the iPhone. Yet CURRENTLY, there are MASSIVE limitations to what kinds of lists we can create with a PQ. What can or can't be included in a PQ list etc...

By allowing us to import our own GPX files into the "Saved" list section. It would allow us more as well as better control.

Surely I am not the only cacher that would find this usefull and a nice feature to have????

TGC

I think what you are asking for already exists. I just noticed this myself. Check this out. http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/saved.aspx

You can upload a gpx to your account on geocaching.com, and then access it from your iphone. This way you can manipulate a PQ however you want and then feed it back to the iphone.

Hope this helps!

I thought they shut that down? Is there still a link to that page from somewhere on Geocaching.com, or did you get the link from an external source? I can't see anything on the PQ page.

See here for a previous topic on this topic. Moun10Bike said back in November that this would be going away, and it already wasn't working in the app.

There is currently a link on the GC.com site to it. I'm returning to geocaching after a very long hiatus so I guess I missed its original coming (and going). The link is on your user profile page, on the right, under Premium Features>Saved GPX Files.

Oh, there it is. Thanks.

They really need to edit that page. It still says:

A popular use for this feature is to first download a customized Pocket Query, followed by a massaging of the data in your preferred third party waypoint manager. Once the data is to your liking, you can upload it to the website so that it may later be downloaded by your mobile device.

AFAIK, this no longer works.

I just tried that process and can successfully upload files. How do I get them on my iPhone. This really is a useful feature to have. I notice another App 'Geosphere' has this.

Did you try accessing it the same way you would a pocket query?

Edit: I tried it and the normal route to download a pocket query on the iPhone didn't work for the uploaded file from this page. I guess it is just a forgotten link/page.

Edited by Woof!

I've been trying to work this out all evening and seem to have figured it out. My intent was to be able to search for caches that I have adjusted the coordinates for. I gave up on trying to import my own GPX, as the "dead end" stopped me also.

Here is how I did get my "adjusted " caches onto my iPhone:

1. I adjusted the coordinates on geocaching.com cache page.

2. I added the cache to my watchlist.

3. I created a PQ isolating nearby caches on my watchlist.

...... bingo. I confirmed the adjusted placement on my iPhones results.

Would MUCH rather be able to load my GSAK files to my iPhone, however this does work.

I've been trying to work this out all evening and seem to have figured it out. My intent was to be able to search for caches that I have adjusted the coordinates for. I gave up on trying to import my own GPX, as the "dead end" stopped me also.

Would MUCH rather be able to load my GSAK files to my iPhone, however this does work.

See my post above, where I linked to another thread. Here's what Moun10Bike said about this feature (in November):

This feature will be going away shortly. We are instead focusing resources on a better solution, which is allowing users to "correct" coordinates for puzzle and multicaches and have those coordinates delivered in their "normal" PQs instead.

I don't think this feature will be coming back.

I think a much better way would be to add the solved puzzles/multi's to a dedicated Bookmark list, which you can then create a pocket query for. Using your way you're going to be getting lots of emails and your pocket query will include caches you simply wanted on your watchlist.

I think a much better way would be to add the solved puzzles/multi's to a dedicated Bookmark list, which you can then create a pocket query for. Using your way you're going to be getting lots of emails and your pocket query will include caches you simply wanted on your watchlist.

Downloaded the Geosphere app for my iPhone. Problem solved. This app does it all.