email notification of note but not under logs

rovers3

This morning I received an email notification from through geocaching.com

You are receiving this email because you are the owner of this listing.

______ posted a note for _________ (Multi-cache) at 1/8/2012

The note was supposedly posted to notify me of a possible problem on one of my caches and the email contained the body of the note.

The problem is that the note does not show up in the log section of the cache when I visited it to disable it after checking and seeing that there was indeed a problem.

This would impact others that might try to do this cache as there would not have been a note alerting them to a possible problem.

How often does this sort of thing occur on the site?

It's possible that the person who posted the note deleted it afterward. That way you'd get the email notification and it would no longer show up on the cache page.

Would I not get a notification that the note was deleted?

And if not, why not?

That's the way the system is set up. You will only receive a notification per mail when a new log is posted, not when it is changed or deleted.

In every email that you get, there's a "visit this log" link. Follow this link to get to the log, and there you'll see if it was deleted (archived) or not. Another possibility is that the log has been edited (text and/or type) or that the log was backdated quite a lot.

In every email that you get, there's a "visit this log" link. Follow this link to get to the log, and there you'll see if it was deleted (archived) or not. Another possibility is that the log has been edited (text and/or type) or that the log was backdated quite a lot.

Thanks dfx, didn't realize this and when I checked if shows that the note had been archived. I wonder why he did that!

Thanks dfx, didn't realize this and when I checked if shows that the note had been archived. I wonder why he did that!

I was going to say that they might have left it on the wrong cache, but I see that apparently the note was referring to specific issues with your cache. Why'd they delete it, then? Dunno -- good question for them, I'd say.

I'm reading between the lines a bit here and could be way off base but this is what it looks like to me. Since you say the note was to alert you to a "possible" problem I suspect they wanted to get a message to you. Then they archived the log in case they were wrong so they wouldn't effect other searchers. Myself, I would have logged a DNF and sent an email with additional information but maybe they didn't want to do the extra step.