staying signed in

Berta Nick Zoey

I did have Private Browsing turned on. It told me to double click to get to the settings for this, which I did. I unchecked the box that that enables this feature and when I did that, it told me I would be putting my computer at risk, so I put the checkmark back into the box, which enabled Protected Mode again.

Ah, that's probably what's doing it. I'm going to assume you're using Firefox (you haven't mentioned what you're using, but it sort of sounds like it), so the following is using that assumption.

If you go to Tools > Options, and go to the "Privacy" tab, you'll see the settings relating to "Private browsing mode". The tickbox for "Always use private browsing mode" is probably ticked for you. If you look lower down, you'll see a greyed-out option under the cookies settings titled "Keep until". It appears that when Private browsing mode is enabled, this option is forced to "I close Firefox". Hence, it will remember your logon until you close Firefox, but you'll have to put it in again the next time you open Firefox. To stop it from doing this, you'll have to disable Private browsing mode. I'm really not sure why they're telling you disabling it would put your computer at risk, because all it's really doing is clearing your browser history each time you close Firefox. If Private browsing mode is disabled, you can still choose each individual setting to your satisfaction. As for remembering the Geocaching.com logon, just make sure it's set to keep cookies until "they expire".

I have the same problem. I leave my browser open when I am at work or at home. I often have to re-log in multiple times throughout the day. Often this happens several times in one active session of use without closing or even minimizing the browser. Running FF9.0.1 on WinXP. Private browsing mode is not enabled, history and cookies set to accept, and remember passwords is checked/enabled without using a master pw.

I have the same problem. I leave my browser open when I am at work or at home. I often have to re-log in multiple times throughout the day. Often this happens several times in one active session of use without closing or even minimizing the browser. Running FF9.0.1 on WinXP. Private browsing mode is not enabled, history and cookies set to accept, and remember passwords is checked/enabled without using a master pw.

I do not have this issue. Firefox 9.0.1 with Windows xp. The only time I have to log back on to Geocaching.com is when I "clear my browser history".

I got same problem,

I use multible systems to access geocaching.com

like several PC's with different OS, and cell phones too.

i think it is the combination of this access that kicks out other cookies or such ??

I need to log in a few time pr week, and it drives me nuts all the time :-)

stay logged in, ya right

I got same problem,

I use multible systems to access geocaching.com

like several PC's with different OS, and cell phones too.

i think it is the combination of this access that kicks out other cookies or such ??

I need to log in a few time pr week, and it drives me nuts all the time :-)

stay logged in, ya right

For what it's worth, I access geocaching.com from three different PCs (Windows 7, Vista, and XP) plus my smart phone (Droid Bionic) several times a day on average, and I haven't had any problem staying logged in for weeks, at least. I use Firefox (latest version) on the PCs and the default browser on the smart phone. On the smart phone, I access the site using any of four different apps, and they stay logged in. I don't use anything special to manage cookies and privacy settings, just whatever is built into the applications, and I allow all cookies for the geocaching-related stuff.

Every once in a blue moon, the site logs me out and I need to sign back in on one of my gadgets, but that's pretty rare.

Not counting the occasional Web site hiccup, if I was being forced to log back in often I would look closely at the cookie-management and privacy settings in the applications I use.

--Larry