Unhappy with my new Etrex 20

I recently replaced my Magellan Platinum with a new etrex 20 bundled with 100K maps. First time out it locked up several times despite having already updated the firmware. Garmin support got back with me and said they were aware of the problem with some units and requested more info from me. Today, it didn't lock up but when I finally found a cache, it was 34 feet away from where it should have been. Light tree cover really seemed to mess with the unit despite being locked onto a ton of satellites. It seems to me that there should be one more level of zoom. I find myself wanting to be able to zoom in one more level. At the closest zoom level, the cursor and the cache icon are so small and close together, it's tough to fine tune the location. That screen is really small. I'd also like to see a screen like my Magellan had where you could see a compass that told you what direction and how many feet away you were to the cache.

Any other etrex 20 users share my thoughts?

I recently replaced my Magellan Platinum with a new etrex 20 bundled with 100K maps. First time out it locked up several times despite having already updated the firmware. Garmin support got back with me and said they were aware of the problem with some units and requested more info from me. Today, it didn't lock up but when I finally found a cache, it was 34 feet away from where it should have been. Light tree cover really seemed to mess with the unit despite being locked onto a ton of satellites. It seems to me that there should be one more level of zoom. I find myself wanting to be able to zoom in one more level. At the closest zoom level, the cursor and the cache icon are so small and close together, it's tough to fine tune the location. That screen is really small. I'd also like to see a screen like my Magellan had where you could see a compass that told you what direction and how many feet away you were to the cache.

Any other etrex 20 users share my thoughts?

Yep, the 20 locks up when caching. Garmin knows about it. I'm hoping they do something about it.

How far did you want to zoom in? At the closest zoom, I think mine hits like 50'. Any closer and it'd be making guesses as to where to put things.

I believe there are some 24k topos available here:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/all

I think the consensus is that the 10-30 are still young, and that -hopefully- Garmin polishes up the backend once they make it look pretty. <_<

There is a compass screen for distance/direction to a cache. You can use the standalone one, or the geocaching dashboard that puts it on top of the map... or am I missing something?

Garmin has earned a reputation for, well, punishing early adopters.

That's a big part of the reason I just bought a now-discontinued 60CSx. They've had about five years to get the bugs out of the firmware. It's supposed to work out in the field.

I sure hope none of the Garmin software managers apply for jobs making software for medical equipment, cars, or (gasp) aircraft.

At times is seems as though the Garmin software teams are overworked and underpaid. For a brand new release it usually takes the better part of a year to tweak firmware to a point that's frustration free. So, in other words either be patient and know, eventually, Garmin will fix it or sell the thing. Keep in mind, it's not just Garmin, all GPS manufacturers release units with green software and develop it over time.

Here comes a digression:

I had a Meridian once. Absolutely loved it. Compared to advances in other areas of technology, dedicated handheld consumer GPS units seem to be sorely lacking overall innovation and major evolutionary advancements. Meridians had tri-axle compasses and barometric altimeters way back when. Only Recently in Garmins have tri-axle compasses become the norm.

Just think about the evolution in cell phones over the same time period.

I digress.

I'd also like to see a screen like my Magellan had where you could see a compass that told you what direction and how many feet away you were to the cache.

Possums, there's a small compass on the map screen if you're using the geocaching profile. Personally, I prefer using the actual compass screen because the compass is so much bigger. Have you tried that?

but when I finally found a cache, it was 34 feet away from where it should have been.

Without comparing your reading with another device, you can't say this is a problem of youe Etrex. Sometimes caches "move" around a few meters here and there, and sometimes the C.O. took an inaccurate reading, and sometimes even the C.O. deliberatly sets the coordinates slightly off GZ to make the search a bit more challenging.

So I would suggest, before blaming Garmin for the inaccuracy, to compare readings with another device of which you know it's accurate, in a variety of circumstances.

Garmin has earned a reputation for, well, punishing early adopters.

That's a big part of the reason I just bought a now-discontinued 60CSx. They've had about five years to get the bugs out of the firmware. It's supposed to work out in the field.

I sure hope none of the Garmin software managers apply for jobs making software for medical equipment, cars, or (gasp) aircraft.

I too have a 60CSx, with the latest firmware (4.2), and it still crashes occasionally. For the record, Garmin do also make aviation GPS - maybe they test the firmware a little more thoroughly - the devices are quite a bit more expensive...

but when I finally found a cache, it was 34 feet away from where it should have been.

Without comparing your reading with another device, you can't say this is a problem of youe Etrex. Sometimes caches "move" around a few meters here and there, and sometimes the C.O. took an inaccurate reading, and sometimes even the C.O. deliberatly sets the coordinates slightly off GZ to make the search a bit more challenging.

So I would suggest, before blaming Garmin for the inaccuracy, to compare readings with another device of which you know it's accurate, in a variety of circumstances.

Another test you can try; go into your back yard, push a nail into the ground,and take a high precision reading on its location. Then come back a week later (when the constellation has made it's usual changes) and do it again, see if you get the same numbers. If so, your unit is plenty accurate. As stated previously, the CO's coords may have been of for a variety or reasons.

Out in the clear it's fine... In the woods, I have better luck turning the glonass Sats off. I don't think they know how to juggle that many sats yet when they are wandering around. Hope they get this cleaned up soon. With that many Sats to pick from... It SHOULD be crazy accurate in the trees.

it was 34 feet away from where it should have been.

That's not uncommon at all. There are so many variables from your GPS to another GPS to how did the CO enter them and obtain them (Averaging) etc.... I've had caches that I'm right on the nose and several that ar 40+' off......just yesterday I had one that was 36' off from my Garmin 650.....that's the fun part of the hunt - if you don't find it - expand the search the GPS is just to get you in the vicinity!

You're absolutely correct. I'll check a known location soon.

Use the geocaching profile and the compass screen and you do get direction and distance to cache. You can zoom down to 40 feet which seems ample to me. My Etrex 20 is way more accurate than the legend it replaced, have you set yours to use both GPS and GLONASS satellites?

Yes, both GPS and GLONASS

Another test you can try; go into your back yard, push a nail into the ground,and take a high precision reading on its location. Then come back a week later (when the constellation has made it's usual changes) and do it again, see if you get the same numbers. If so, your unit is plenty accurate. As stated previously, the CO's coords may have been of for a variety or reasons.

Great idea. I'll give it a try.

Edited by DancingPossums

At times is seems as though the Garmin software teams are overworked and underpaid. For a brand new release it usually takes the better part of a year to tweak firmware to a point that's frustration free. So, in other words either be patient and know, eventually, Garmin will fix it or sell the thing. Keep in mind, it's not just Garmin, all GPS manufacturers release units with green software and develop it over time.

Here comes a digression:

I had a Meridian once. Absolutely loved it. Compared to advances in other areas of technology, dedicated handheld consumer GPS units seem to be sorely lacking overall innovation and major evolutionary advancements. Meridians had tri-axle compasses and barometric altimeters way back when. Only Recently in Garmins have tri-axle compasses become the norm.

Just think about the evolution in cell phones over the same time period.

I digress.

Going from a Meridian Platinum ( best 3-axis compass ever made IMO and no " sticky " issues ) to anything can seem like a step down. We are now using an Oregon 450 and 62S but the Platinum is never far away......usually on my belt.

Well, it's been about six months since the last response on this topic. I took my etrex 20 out for the first time this morning and found six caches with no issues. The unit worked as advertised. I was in the trees, using both sat networks plus waas, and got 8-10 foot accuracy. The unit, running software version 2.5, never locked up. I am very happy with it so far.

In the woods, I have better luck turning the glonass Sats off.

I was under the impression Glonass would work better in "leafy" areas?

It should. I live in Seattle where tree cover is as bad as it gets. I get a display lockup... It will get stuck, or confused under heavy cover. Doesn't have that issue with glonass off. When comparing tracks on a hike with my return tracks on the same path... I don't see any improved accuracy with glonass on. So, glonass off on my 20. Maybe just my device, who knows.

I bought an Etrex 20 the first time I saw one in a store on 28th September. So far I love it. I have updated the s/w with each one that has come out and have not had any issues. I had a Dakota 20 before this, and it performs a bit better (or at least it seems to). I thought I'd like the touch screen, but I ended up missing the click stick. It's just so much easier to use with gloves on or without having to pay as much attention to what's going on.

I have GLONASS, and WAAS both turned on on mine, and I get an absurd number of birds on my satellite screen (and great estimated accuracy). I don't know if it has to do with my geographical location (I'm in Central Florida), or lack of terrain (since Florida has none to speak of), that helps my accuracy/signal, but for now I'm leaving GLONASS on. As an aside, I never used to use WAAS on my Dakota 20, it seemed to mess with my accuracy.

sussamb, tried with various combinations of on/off, yet to find one that's reliable. Can be great for hours, then just "sticks" :(

Working on the principle "no publicity is bad publicity" , 266 people have seen the video so far, and garmin have a link to it.

Hi,

in order to support this "fight" with Garmin over the sticky problem, I've made a demonstation video with "sticky" eTrex 30 and "non-sticky" GPSmap 60CSx, side by side in the woods:

I've also send another (in fact my third) report to Garmin - they should admit the existence of the problem and offer the solid solution. In my opinion this lousy behaviour is unacceptable for hiking or geocaching GPS device.

Zdenek

I've also send another (in fact my third) report to Garmin - they should admit the existence of the problem and offer the solid solution. In my opinion this lousy behaviour is unacceptable for hiking or geocaching GPS device.

Zdenek

my reply to the video, from them

"Dear Tony

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

Thank you for your reply. I have passed this information onto our software teams so that can be investigated further for you. I cant promise its something that will be fixed in the next update but it is being looked into. "

I'm hoping they get it fixed soon, seems a great piece of kit, if only it was reliable. If it was supposed to be a "work in progress" then I'd have expected to pay a lot less, or to get something from garmin as compensation for the trouble it's causing.

I'm hoping they get it fixed soon, seems a great piece of kit, if only it was reliable. If it was supposed to be a "work in progress" then I'd have expected to pay a lot less, or to get something from garmin as compensation for the trouble it's causing.

Exactly. I like the unit, but this issue and some other minor quirks are really annoying...

What e-mail address did you send your report to?

Because I used Oregon.Beta@garmin.com about one year ago (I had Oregon 450 - same sticky problem) and now the local Garmin support, but absolutely no response...

Thanks,

Zdenek

sussamb, tried with various combinations of on/off, yet to find one that's reliable. Can be great for hours, then just "sticks" :(

Working on the principle "no publicity is bad publicity" , 266 people have seen the video so far, and garmin have a link to it.

Hi,

in order to support this "fight" with Garmin over the sticky problem, I've made a demonstation video with "sticky" eTrex 30 and "non-sticky" GPSmap 60CSx, side by side in the woods:

Zdenek

What a great, clear video! Exactly how my 20 is. It's the kind of issue that's hard to explain without video. I updated to 2.60 ... Still sticky as ever :(

Hi,

Zdenek

Wow. That sums it up in a nutshell. I think I'll call 'em again as soon as I upgrade to 2.6 and complain again...

Wow. That sums it up in a nutshell. I think I'll call 'em again as soon as I upgrade to 2.6 and complain again...

Yep, definitely do it, thanks! :)

Sent an email request for support on the freezing issue and the GPS+GLOSNOS accuracy issue.

I've never even seen a response to an email to Garmin -- thats why I call now.

Yep, definitely do it, thanks! :)

Sent an email request for support on the freezing issue and the GPS+GLOSNOS accuracy issue.

I've never even seen a response to an email to Garmin -- thats why I call now.

I've gotten them.