Bad News for Geocaching?

I look forward to parking lot geodetecting. It will be quite a challenge to avoid being conspicuous while I jackhammer through a sidewalk.

As long as you are wearing an orange vest and proper safety gear, put out some orange safety sawhorse barriers and have someone else five other guys watching while holding clipboards, no one will pay any notice.

Corrected it to be more accurate.

A couple of those guys should be leaning on their shovels while you dig... :lol:

Oops. Forgot about those guys.

You mean like this?

ManinHoleDigging.jpg?width=445&height=600

If instead of a man digging in a hole it was a teenager up in a tree, all those guys would be geocachers waiting for the teen to grab the cache and throw it down for the rest of them to sign.

I enjoy metal detecting and have been doing it for a few years now. But I don't find the idea of combining geocaching and metal detecting very appealing. The real fun in metal detecting is NOT knowing what you're digging up and the hope and surprise when it may be something interesting like a really old coin or lost ring, etc. Now, digging up something just to re-bury it somewhere else seems kinda silly to me. But hey, to each his own.

Also, there are many state and federal laws that specifically address where metal detecting is prohibited...and the list gets longer every year. Basically for this sport to take off all the hides would have to be buried out in the middle of nowhere or on private property with the owners permission...and I don't think many property owners will want strangers showing up on their property to dig holes again and again. And you better know the laws of your state before even thinking of pulling out a metal detector in a National or State Park, Preserve, WMA, Historical Sites, etc, etc. You can get yourself in SERIOUS trouble and ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Edited by timothy585

I for one would not join or participate. Since Geocaching I have seen the damage digging holes and burying items does. If it was to just find and not put items out would be different. Do the parks who say they want to keep what others find, know what kind of treasure they will end up getting?

They claim it would be one hole, but how many times does your GPS point you everywhere? It's here, no it's over here .... Boing! Nope the arrow is pointing over here! Next thing you know the park grounds look like Swiss cheese, and there's still one more hole to dig to rehide it. Very poorly thought out concept.

And permission was never granted according to that letter.

It took a minute to find out that this guy has a geocaching account. I hope he reads this thread!

Dude! Bad implementation, rethink it!

why do we have such a problem with digging, tons of animals do it. my kids love digging, they will play in the yard for hours on end digging, I smell a false argument!

I hear your next cache will be placed under your living room floor :ph34r:

I would say lets go dig up his garden. There might be something there. or there or here.

The point is the parks would not be happy about HUMANs who should know better then to dig holes and that might be destroying endangered plants or wildlife's habitat. Yes animals do it, but that is because they do it for food. You would not be doing it for food but to look for fake coins that someone else who dug up some endangered species home.

Edited by jellis

food - not only! shelter too.... come and dig in my garden,,, my kids did, man some of those herbs are impossible to kill!

Since your garden is private property and don't mind if someone digs a few holes in it (I suppose you expect us to mulch it for you too) it's not really a similar scenario to what the site is suggesting. Since your kids like digging hole, how about give them each a shovel and send them down to a city/town park and have them go at it. Let us know how that turns out. Of course, if the weather in Buffalo is anything like it is here today, they'll probably just build a snowman.

why do we have such a problem with digging, tons of animals do it. my kids love digging, they will play in the yard for hours on end digging, I smell a false argument!

peaches and strawberries! peaches and strawberries! :P Next....

Yeah Frank

You are such a troll.

Trying your best to get people riled up here. I love it they've been mainly ignoring you.

:laughing: :laughing:

I read one of the listings, and had some questions:

We do not have an ordinance that covers metal detecting in our parks except for the ordinances referring to the condition of our property and disturbing our patrons.

I can grant you permission to metal detect in the parks as

long as there are no dangerous holes left in the ground and you don't dig up

a large area. Also, all of the athletic fields are off limit. No digging

will be permitted in that area. Furthermore, you will need to understand

that any items you find on these premises become the property of the City of

Graham as the landowner. If that is worth your while then you are welcome

to try it. Please note also that South Graham Park is on top of an old

landfill and it would cause a health hazard for you to dig in this park.

With the exception of that park, you are welcome to visit any others.

Sincerely,

MELODY L. WIGGINS

DIRECTOR OF RECREATION AND PARKS

CITY OF GRAHAM

PO BOX 357

GRAHAM, NC 27253

Telephone: 336-570-6700 ext. 26

Fax: 336-570-6703

mwiggins@cityofgraham.com

(Bolding mine)

It sounds like permission was granted to the original hider...not everyone who may come after them.

The second bolded item would imply that no matter what is found (including anything left in the hole by another finder) would become property of the town.

I wonder if anyone has pointed out that website to the land manager yet.

That would sure slow down the production on holes on that land.

food - not only! shelter too.... come and dig in my garden,,, my kids did, man some of those herbs are impossible to kill!

Since your garden is private property and don't mind if someone digs a few holes in it (I suppose you expect us to mulch it for you too) it's not really a similar scenario to what the site is suggesting. Since your kids like digging hole, how about give them each a shovel and send them down to a city/town park and have them go at it. Let us know how that turns out. Of course, if the weather in Buffalo is anything like it is here today, they'll probably just build a snowman.

Yeppers snow is crazy here tonight, BUT my 4 year old is out with shovel in hand! haha he really is! :P

Edited by Frank Broughton

peaches and strawberries! peaches and strawberries! :P Next....

Yeah Frank

You are such a troll.

Trying your best to get people riled up here. I love it they've been mainly ignoring you.

:laughing: :laughing:

Hey you be nice, someone has to stick up for the downtrodden who cannot answer for themselves because all the talk is being done behind their back....haha or maybe I am just being the fall guy to really get everyone to nail the other site as a bad idea.... hmmmm :unsure:

Edited by Frank Broughton