Bad News for Geocaching?

It seems another variant of geocaching has hit the market. 'Geodetecting'.

Apparently, the goal is to dig and bury hidden treasure beneath the ground, grab the coordinates, and then let the next person uncover it, and then place it in a newly dug hole up to 20 metres away. Long story short, the soil of America may soon be covered with thousands of holes. :lol::unsure:

There's a few problems I see with this, firstly, your ruining the landscape/environment in a much more permanent way. Secondly, I don't think its good if this gets associated with geocaching, I mean, relatively few people know about geocaching, and a book is nearly always judged by its cover. If they also see 'geodetecting', it could give geocaching a potentially bad reputation with some, be it land-managers or lawmakers.

To be honest, I for one hope it doesn't take off.

I don't think it will. Sounds like a royal pain the ***. If I understand correctly, you are going to have to drag a shovel around while doing this? Also, not all areas of the world have nice soil to bury caches. Imagine areas that have bedrock right at the surface like the desert south west of the US. Not going to work well in urban areas either.

bad idea from the get go. and before starting a web site you should be able to use spell check.

How is this going to work? "...leave an area in better condition than they found it (though for geo detectors that means filling in the hole they have just dug....."

Even if you fill the hole back in, you have still dug a hole, disturbed the ground and plant life.

The picture of a trowel and pill bottle - really?

IBTL

bad idea from the get go. and before starting a web site you should be able to use spell check.

How is this going to work? "...leave an area in better condition than they found it (though for geo detectors that means filling in the hole they have just dug....."

Even if you fill the hole back in, you have still dug a hole, disturbed the ground and plant life.

IBTL

Agreed. I also thought the website design was... uh... on the shoddy side, to put it lightly.

Yes, I noticed that too. But it's even worse.

I use a variety of tools, see here.

I toke a old shovel and cute the handle down in half and filed the end for dirt. For hard dirt I use a pick axe. For soft dirt and very nice parks, homes I use a small shovel and a screw driver.

For the beach I'm getting a scoop strainer. What do you use?

Admin

At least the use of a SMALL shovel and presumably eco-friendly screwdriver is indicated for NICE PARKS. How thoughtful. So far this looks to me like a one man show. Hopefully they will lose interest soon or move on to Dynamite Detecting in Nice Parks.

Oh, here we go again. Someone has an idea that somehow, somewhat intersects, overlaps and also contradicts with their beloved (?) hobby of geocaching (as understood from one particular website only usually), and the bashing commences. OMG, they say "geo" and they're digging holes!!!111

Come on people, let's have an open and unbiased mind here. Metal detecting has been a common hobby for much longer than geocaching even existed.

Edited by dfx

Oh, here we go again. Someone has an idea that somehow, somewhat intersects, overlaps and also contradicts with their beloved (?) hobby of geocaching (as understood from one particular website only usually), and the bashing commences. OMG, they say "geo" and they're digging holes!!!111

Come on people, let's have an open and unbiased mind here. Metal detecting has been a common hobby for much longer than geocaching even existed.

The problem is, to put it bluntly, it's a stupid idea - no one is bashing for the sake of bashing. It's just not very well thought out. It doesn't take in any consideration for the environment, and it goes well beyond metal detecting. The website is asking people to systematically dig holes, place an object inside, and then for others to re-dig that hole to recover the object, then rehide it by digging yet another hole! It pays no attention to the environment or to land managers and park services - who we have tried for years to convince geocaching is okay. It's not a good idea.

It seems another variant of geocaching has hit the market. 'Geodetecting'. See the website here.

Apparently, the goal is to dig and bury hidden treasure beneath the ground, grab the coordinates, and then let the next person uncover it, and then place it in a newly dug hole up to 20 metres away. Long story short, the soil of America may soon be covered with thousands of holes. :lol::unsure:

ROFL

i don't think it will, wth wants to go around carrying a shovel? :lol:

hmmz now come to think of it maybe will catch on to JEEP owners :anibad:

Edited by t4e

The problem is, to put it bluntly, it's a stupid idea - no one is bashing for the sake of bashing. It's just not very well thought out. It doesn't take in any consideration for the environment, and it goes well beyond metal detecting. The website is asking people to systematically dig holes, place an object inside, and then for others to re-dig that hole to recover the object, then rehide it by digging yet another hole! It pays no attention to the environment or to land managers and park services - who we have tried for years to convince geocaching is okay. It's not a good idea.

+1

I would really like to try to metal detecting. It seems fun. I don't really want to wander around digging for the sake of digging though... :unsure: Putting whatever you found in the original hole would be one thing, but putting it up to 20 feet away from that hole... what happens then? The next person puts it up to 20 feet away from your hole? Then that person puts it up to 20 feet away from that hole? :/ I guess I don't understand the rules enough.

I'm not entirely sure this sort of thing will catch on to other areas. Then again, I know people that don't find the idea of geocaching to be a whole lot of fun. If if starts catching on, then whoever is in charge of this shindig will come across a few problems. Specific rules, where it's okay to put things, how far down, logging, maintaining, etc.

I guess if it does take off, geocaching will probably be lumped in with it somehow, it'll just be up to us to try and make sure people understand the difference.

I've never gone metal detecting, but I was under the impression a big part of the challenge/thrill was you never knew if you were going to find anything and there was a chance what you found might be valuable? This just about guarantees you find something yet it will be something almost worthless. I am surprised to learn metal detectors can be gotten for less than most GPS units; I had thought they were much more expensive for some reason (maybe they used to be, or maybe it's just because of how few people own them).

Not to mention the land managers who will flip out because of that whole digging thing. The sustainability of geo-detecting seems really low.

+1 - it is sad how there are soooooo mannnyyyy over reactions on these forums.

I don't know about other areas, but this will never catch on in New England. It is impossible to dig a hole deeper than 2 inches without finding a rock the size of a Buick.

And for about 5 months out of most years (certainly not this year), you can't even dig down far enough to find those rocks because the soil is frozen.

Apparently, the goal is to dig and bury hidden treasure beneath the ground, grab the coordinates, and then let the next person uncover it, and then place it in a newly dug hole up to 20 metres away.

Actually, after stumbling across the well-hidden rules, I found this:

If you find a Treasure Cache either replace it with something of similar worth or re-hide the current one within a 20 diameter from the original GPS coordinates.

:blink:

20. Unitless.

I also found the one-and-only "Approved park", with the written permission they received. It's obvious from reading it, though, that the land manager was not told there would be any burying going on. They only approved metal detecting and digging up what you find. They also stated:

Furthermore, you will need to understand that any items you find on these premises become the property of the City of Graham as the landowner.

I guess that means you can't keep anything you dig up, and if you re-bury something else, it becomes property of the city.

I was dumbfounded when I saw Huntleigh's link that said the guy is a web designer. Really? I wouldn't let him anywhere near my website. In fact, he's using a free website template from a company in Australia. A true web designer would have designed his own site.

If you want to get really confused, go to the Help and FAQ sections of the site. If you were trying to get a game like this off the ground, the first place prospective members are going to go is the FAQ to find out what it's all about. First impressions anyone?

I have nothing against people trying to come up with new ideas, but this is a very ill-conceived idea. So far, the only hides have been by the creator. I sincerely hope this doesn't catch on.

NEXT!

Edited by The A-Team

It looks like the only "current" Geodetects (??) are in South Carolina and Very Southern Virgina. I'm glad I'm on the other side of the country.

I have been using a metal detector for the last 30 years here in SW Virginia. This geodetecting seems to playing in on geocaching. But I have used a GPS to mark locations of finds such as Civil War era bullets. Geocaching is just one of my mant hobbys. :anibad:

So has searching for old bottles. My grandmother used to have quite a collection.

When I saw this thread and read the web site I wondered if we might be able to use this to our advantage.

Picture a geocacher poking around some bushes in a park when he is approached by a muggle...

Muggle: Hi...what are you looking for?

Geocacher: Oh, Hi...I am geocaching.

M: Geo-what?

G: Geocaching. I am using this GPS to find a container that another geocacher placed around here.

M: Oh, I think I've heard of that. Where's your shovel? I heard that you're supposed to use a shovel to dig for the buried treasure.

G: Oh, no....that's Geodetecting. It's a completely different game...Geocachers would never bury caches. It's not allowed in our guidelines.

I look forward to parking lot geodetecting. It will be quite a challenge to avoid being conspicuous while I jackhammer through a sidewalk.

As long as you are wearing an orange vest and proper safety gear, put out some orange safety sawhorse barriers and have someone else watching while holding a clipboard, no one will pay any notice.

I look forward to parking lot geodetecting. It will be quite a challenge to avoid being conspicuous while I jackhammer through a sidewalk.

As long as you are wearing an orange vest and proper safety gear, put out some orange safety sawhorse barriers and have someone else five other guys watching while holding clipboards, no one will pay any notice.

Corrected it to be more accurate.

Fine, I caved and decided to check out the site. My reaction is "Meh".

Metal detecting has been around for a long time. Sounds like all this guy wanted to do was to get people to take small trinkets and bury it and then post the coordinates. That way the metal detecting crowd can go out and have a very good chance of finding something.

I suspect his intentions are good. After all, I can easily take a small garden trowel out into my yard and cut out a section of grass on three sides, tuck a coin in there and replace the sod and you'd never even notice. I don't think he is expecting people to bring full-sized spades and start digging holes 2x2x2 -- I guess I don't need to worry about units. :laughing:

Of course, there will be those who will take the hobby to the extreme and start bringing in backhoes just as cachers started to "one up" each other in terms of number of finds or smallest container, etc.

Many parks and municipalities likely already have rules in place regarding metal detecting and the fact that you add GPS into the mix doesn't change that at all.

As a Geocacher am I worried about this "new" hobby? Not one iota.

As long as you are wearing an orange vest and proper safety gear, put out some orange safety sawhorse barriers and have someone else five other guys watching while holding clipboards, no one will pay any notice.

A couple of those guys should be leaning on their shovels while you dig... :lol:

A couple of those guys should be leaning on their shovels while you dig... :lol:

Oops. Forgot about those guys.

I read one of the listings, and had some questions:

We do not have an ordinance that covers metal detecting in our parks except for the ordinances referring to the condition of our property and disturbing our patrons.

I can grant you permission to metal detect in the parks as

long as there are no dangerous holes left in the ground and you don't dig up

a large area. Also, all of the athletic fields are off limit. No digging

will be permitted in that area. Furthermore, you will need to understand

that any items you find on these premises become the property of the City of

Graham as the landowner. If that is worth your while then you are welcome

to try it. Please note also that South Graham Park is on top of an old

landfill and it would cause a health hazard for you to dig in this park.

With the exception of that park, you are welcome to visit any others.

Sincerely,

MELODY L. WIGGINS

DIRECTOR OF RECREATION AND PARKS

CITY OF GRAHAM

PO BOX 357

GRAHAM, NC 27253

Telephone: 336-570-6700 ext. 26

Fax: 336-570-6703

mwiggins@cityofgraham.com

(Bolding mine)

It sounds like permission was granted to the original hider...not everyone who may come after them.

The second bolded item would imply that no matter what is found (including anything left in the hole by another finder) would become property of the town.

Look at the bright side. The muggles that sign up for geocaching accounts to purposely trash/steal geocaches will more than likely switch their attention to geodetecting. I mean, would you rather take a piece of Tupperware, or something that actually has monetary value?

monetary value? I don't think pill bottles are more valuable than Tupperware :lol: - well, maybe he puts something in them - my guess is metal detectors do not find plastic

I read one of the listings, and had some questions:

We do not have an ordinance that covers metal detecting in our parks except for the ordinances referring to the condition of our property and disturbing our patrons.

I can grant you permission to metal detect in the parks as

long as there are no dangerous holes left in the ground and you don't dig up

a large area. Also, all of the athletic fields are off limit. No digging

will be permitted in that area. Furthermore, you will need to understand

that any items you find on these premises become the property of the City of

Graham as the landowner. If that is worth your while then you are welcome

to try it. Please note also that South Graham Park is on top of an old

landfill and it would cause a health hazard for you to dig in this park.

With the exception of that park, you are welcome to visit any others.

Sincerely,

MELODY L. WIGGINS

DIRECTOR OF RECREATION AND PARKS

CITY OF GRAHAM

PO BOX 357

GRAHAM, NC 27253

Telephone: 336-570-6700 ext. 26

Fax: 336-570-6703

mwiggins@cityofgraham.com

(Bolding mine)

It sounds like permission was granted to the original hider...not everyone who may come after them.

The second bolded item would imply that no matter what is found (including anything left in the hole by another finder) would become property of the town.

Blue bolding mine... I don't see any permission to HIDE anything in that.

People engaged in metal detecting find things... and as stated those items become the property of the landowner as per fairly normal 'treasure trove' laws in most places. The other option would be going to the state itself. I am of the camp that says it won't go very far on its own. Wonder what would happen if they used the detector to find their lost car keys... does the landowner get the car too?

Doug 7rxc

Then why bring attention to it? While it may be fun for us to sit here and bash the idea and the site. Your just bringing it all more publicity that could get more people interested in the idea.

I brought attention to it to attempt to promote a healthy discussion of the potential effects of having such a game be associated with geocaching. Obscurity doesn't really work when your on the internet, EVERYTHING gets discovered one way or another, so in the overall scheme of things, a discussion about it in a thread on a forum isn't going to propel it to the number one national fad over night.

I don't know about other areas, but this will never catch on in New England. It is impossible to dig a hole deeper than 2 inches without finding a rock the size of a Buick.

Thanks for the laugh on this one--and how true. When I was a young lad, my parents would give me the pleasure of digging holes in CT to plant bushes. Shovel? Check! Pick-axe? Check! Crowbar? Check! Frustration? Double check!!

You mean like this?

ManinHoleDigging.jpg?width=445&height=600

I recently ended a 12 year relationship as a food service contractor in a state government building. I can sadly verify that these jokes about managers and supervisors is entirely too accurate. When I called in with a clogged sink I would have to wait 30-60 minutes for a Facilities plumber to arrive; the building facility manager was not allowed to handle minor issues like clogged sinks or toilets on his own; just called them in. /sigh

You mean like this?

ManinHoleDigging.jpg?width=445&height=600

lol for real......