Mapsource?

SoonerL8R

I've been looking for a program to replace the Basemap that came packed on my Garmin 60csx that will have the backroads on the maps. Has anyone used this program on their unit and does it have all the smaller roads? Are there any suggestions for other programs I could use instead that you fellow cachers have used?

I've been looking for a program to replace the Basemap that came packed on my Garmin 60csx that will have the backroads on the maps. Has anyone used this program on their unit and does it have all the smaller roads? Are there any suggestions for other programs I could use instead that you fellow cachers have used?

The Basemap is burned into ROM on your 60CSX. It's a very low detail map. If you are in the US and want more detailed free (mostly non-routable) maps go to GPSfiledepot. It also has some international coverage. It has very thorough tutorials on how to add maps, so be sure to read them prior to installing. For the UK try TalkyToaster. For Europe (Germany?) try OpenCycleMap. For routable road (no topo) maps of the whole world try garmin.openstreetmap.nl .

Edited by seldom_sn

I use openstreetmap for my GPS. The advantage is, if i find a trail i want added, I can go to openstreetmap and put it in by uploading a tracklog and then tracing it with the appropriate tags.

I just looked at openstreetmap and it looks like some excellent detail! I guess now I have a question on is it possible to get the data to the 60csx? I really want to find a program that I can put a big area on the handheld but this site you just sent me looks very impressive if it's possible to somehow get the information on the unit.

I use openstreetmap for my GPS. The advantage is, if i find a trail i want added, I can go to openstreetmap and put it in by uploading a tracklog and then tracing it with the appropriate tags.

I just looked at openstreetmap and it looks like some excellent detail! I guess now I have a question on is it possible to get the data to the 60csx? I really want to find a program that I can put a big area on the handheld but this site you just sent me looks very impressive if it's possible to somehow get the information on the unit.

I gave you the download site above. garmin.openstreetmap.nl. Download an installer and install it in BaseCamp or MapSource as a viewer. The viewer needs to be installed first. Send maps using a viewer. Your 60CSX can take up to a 4GB card, which can hold only 1 gmapsupp.img file. Transferring the map directly to the 60csx will be incredibly slow. Much faster to send the map to a card in a USB 2.0 (or better) card reader.

I use mapsource exclusively,works way better than basecrap for me. V 6.16.3 Make sure you are using Topo maps.I have a few of Garmins maps ,but also have another brand that I like better that shows submitted actual track logs of trails and snow mobile routes as well,but only for the area of Canada where I live.