Geocaching by proxy legit?

I have been talking with one of my sons that lives in IL. I told him about Geocaching and that me and his momma do it. He is very keen to Geocache and on a whim he asked me to look here and see what I could see in his area. Well I saw a geocache just a few blocks from his house in a small park. He wanted to find it.

Well today he called me and said he was in the park and asked me what to do. He has NO GPS, and NO internet connection. :D So this was all done over the phone and me using the maps on here. LOL!

But I guided him the best I could and described what he may be looking for. He told me he sees a park bench in the area that I am directing him toward. I asked him what it was made from and he said it was metal. AH HA! I told him it was probably a small magnetic nano/micro. He said a what?!?! I described again what he may be looking for. After about 5 minutes or so he told me he thinks he has found something. YUP! He had found it. I informed him to watch out for muggles. LOL! Had to tell him what a muggle was. :) He had brought a pen with him because I told him previously that we always bring one to sign the log books/sheets. I told him do not sign it yet as he is not part of geocaching yet and has no name. He wanted to sign ours but I told him no, that we had not found it. LOL!

So my question is since he has no gps and no way to even log onto this site. Can he still geocache with me directing him?

Just incase it is okay I have already created him and his wife a basic account.

My participation would be directing him where to go look by just looking at the maps. They would be doing the finding and signing of the logs. Then I would have to log the find for them on their account until they get net access which may be a long time from now.

Is this ethical? I bet it is a lot harder this way and I do not forsee them with a lot of finds. LOL!

Edited by TeamPennyFinder

I think this is great! The 'standard' geocache information sheet says something like "congratulations, you have found it! whether intentional or not ....", by all means they SHOULD sign the log. And since you have set up a GC account for them I would encourage them to tell the story in their log :D:) . The only logging problem that might arise would be for 'premium member' caches, so you may want to filter those before getting them to the next cache.

Congratulations on the first find!!!

Cheers,

PandA Inc

Absolutely he should get credit for the find!!! We have found several caches just by looking at the map and determining approximately where the cache is hidden. Usually this was because the gps was broken or we couldn't find it fast enough. I agree with the others-he needs to sign the cache log somehow, someway, if he is going to log the find online.

I don't see a problem with doing it this way, although it seems like a lot of work. If they don't have net access yet, is it possible they could maybe use a computer somewhere that does, like a public library? They wouldn't need to do it right away, they could wait a few weeks and just jot down the GC numbers of the caches they find for later logging.

Or you could continue logging for them...they can sign the physical log with that account name, or any name or initials as long as the online log states "Signed log as __________" or whatever. We often do this when the whole family goes out, we'll sign the log once with a team name and then I'll log the find online with my own account name.

I think it should count. I mean, you might have guided him there, but he was the one walking around and looking.

I've been out with my dad and my dad will find the cache before I do, but I log it and sign it.

If you went out and found it, and he wasn't even there with you, then that would be lame. Or if you logged it even though you're guiding from afar, that would be kind of lame too.

I agree that he should get the account you made for him and then when he does his log just have him put "Found this day and signed log as [insert here]".

Glad he's gotten into it! :)

Okay then, sounds like a done deal. He will be very pleased.

I will make sure to look for caches for him only using his account. That way there will be no accidental members only caches.

Next time he calls I will tell him to go back to the cache that he has already found and sign the log. We will just pretend that he has not found it yet. LOL! He will sign the log TNN (TeamNanoNutz) and date it. Then call me and I will sign into his account and log it online for him with his story. I have already told him that logs saying TFTH are boring. hehehe...

Then next time he goes caching before he leaves the apartment he will give me a call and I will tell him where to go and then will help him start narrowing his search area the best I can.

I have to say it will be rough because he will never be able to see the maps. Just has to rely on what I am telling him. But if he wants to go out blind and rely on his ole coot of a dad telling him where to go, more power to him. LOL!

Okay then, sounds like a done deal. He will be very pleased.

I will make sure to look for caches for him only using his account. That way there will be no accidental members only caches....

Actually, there is a workaround that will allow logging of Premium caches from your sons Regular account. Just remember that because a cache is Premium, there is no guarantee that it will be special. But if you do see one that really peaks your interest, by all means give him the details to make the find.

If that happens, just come back to this thread and ask for the logging details.

BlueDeuce, LOL! I think my son will keep me on the phone long enough. lololol

AZcachemeister, :) Love the comparison!

Cardinal Red, I have not even done a premium only yet. What? No perks? :) To be on the safe side I will always check just in case. I want his account to stay nice and clean without even a peep from another member. One day when he gets all his ducks in a row then he can upgrade to a premium account which I highly recommend. Get a decent GPS and an Internet connection. :)

I think it is going to be a huge challenge. But as long as him, his wife, and their kids are having fun then I am all for the blind guidance effort for him. :)

Thank You everybody for your kind input.

Mr.Benchmark, Thank You for the suggestion. But they right now cannot afford a smart phone that would have to have a data plan coupled with it. I think they use cricket or something like that.

Sure thing - we all do what we can do. Someday maybe they'll need or want a smart phone anyway, and things won't be so tight for them. Some of them are pretty low cost for the phone - you are just married to the monthly expense for a long time. Still, if they needed it anyway at some point, they should look for one that can support this game, if they like it, it might be an alternative to a dedicated GPS.

Another thought is that if they become hooked on this, perhaps they can get a used GPS, again once their finances allow this. I'd think some pretty decent ones would be available used at a fairly low price.

In any case, I guess as long as you are both having fun and your long distance bill is less than the monthly data plan, keep on keeping on! B)

hehehe... I am lucky and have got unlimited local and long distance with my phone. So no sweat there. Their cell phone plan includes unlimited local and long distance with no monthly contract. Granted it does drop calls enough to be annoying. :)

I have suggested to him that when he is in the bigger town to start peeping in pawn shops and such to see if they have a good used GPS unit that is a handheld one. You can find all kinds of automotive ones like the TomTom. The true handheld ones are harder to find.

Then once he has one of them and makes finds he can call me or if in the area of the local library he can use one of their PCs.

I am still waiting on him to call me back so I can tell him to go back and refind the cache and sign the log so I can log it for him online.

Maybe you can have his wife video him while he is caching with you on the phone....I am sure it would be fun to watch. Caching this way sounds so fun....and funny at the same time.

We all try to look so inconspicuous caching while staring at our GPS or phone in hand...Could you imagine trying to look inconspicuous wandering around getting directions on the phone! He must be good!

Maybe you can have his wife video him while he is caching with you on the phone....I am sure it would be fun to watch. Caching this way sounds so fun....and funny at the same time.

We all try to look so inconspicuous caching while staring at our GPS or phone in hand...Could you imagine trying to look inconspicuous wandering around getting directions on the phone! He must be good!

Can't afford a gps, can't afford a smartphone, sure just whip out the video recorder and upload it.....

Can't afford a gps, can't afford a smartphone, sure just whip out the video recorder and upload it.....

They have to at least have a friend that has a phone they can video it with??? But you are right...I wasn't thinking about that part...I was just thinking how funny it must look to cache with dad on the phone. :)

And just a side note....I have a co-worker here in California that breaks his phone pretty much weekly...He gets a smartphone, unlimited minutes, unlimited data plan with no contract for about $45.00 a month. Not sure if I am allowed to say the carrier but it is a great deal if you are on a strict budget.

Still would love to see your son caching with you on the phone...hehe

Buka2 can you message me with the name of that carrier? That may be something that they can look into. Who knows he may have that and not realize he has a smart phone. If he has got that carrier and has unlimited data then I am sure there is a geocaching ap for that phone. LOL!

But I do not think they have a smartphone with a data plan because then they would be on facebook and stuff a lot more than once in a blue moon. :)

I bet it would be funny to watch though. LOL!

Good on you for walking him through it -- brings to mind one of those TV movies where the flight attendant/child/whoever has to land the plane and is on the radio with the tower.

Might want to direct him to craigslist or ebay if he's looking for a used handheld.

Thank You Buka2. I got it and have replied.

I found out that they use Straight Talk for the phone. So they have unlimited Talk, Text, and Data. So, the only road block is them being able to afford the phone that can geocache. Currently Straight Talk has two android phones that are GPS enabled. One is $149.99 and the other is $179.99. I think that would allow for paperless caching. :) In their current situation that may as well be a couple million. LOL!

But, it is good knowing that the capability of the plan is there, they just need to save for the phone. :)

TheLoneGrangers,

ROFLMBO!! That was close believe it or not.

Son "I just called you dad to say I am at the park. Which way do I go?"

Me "Are you at the right park? I mean it is at the corner of South Main and East Mechanic."

Son "Uhhh... let me go check. I know I am on Main. Hold on. *crunching noises as he is walking* Yeah, I am at the right park."

Me "Good. Now go back to the main entrance that is on Main Street. You know. On the sat map it looks like it is right in the middle of the park along the street."

Son "Okay. I'm there. Now what."

Me "Go straight into the park along the path."

Son "I'm going. I am almost to the gazebo and the path splits around it. What do I do?"

Me "I guess that blurry splotch in the middle of the park can be a gazebo. Mmm... take the path that goes left around it, and when the path forks again go left again."

Son "Okay. I am forking left again after passing the gazebo. Now what?"

Me "Now head to near the back left corner of the park. It should be almost to the other street and there is a building just outside of the park."

Son "I'm there. Now what?"

Me "What do you see close to you?"

Son "Well... there is a park bench..annnd.."

Me "AH HA!!! That has got to be it! The hint is - Sit down, tie your shoe. Now what is the bench made from?"

*i hear a tinging sound as he taps it with something*

Son "It is metal why?"

Me "That has got to be it. I bet it is a magnetic micro."

Son "Whaaaat?"

Me - to long to go into i explain to him what a magnetic micro is and what it could look like

Son "Nope. I don't see anything on the bench or under the bench."

Me "Mmmm... sit down and pretend you are tying your shoe. What do you see?"

Son "There is some kind of outlet across the path."

Me "Okay look closer at that. Is it real?"

Son "What do you mean is it real? Of course it is going to be real."

Me i explain how sneaky some hiders can be putting things in the ground that look like something they really are not

Son "Wow, they can get that serious? But anyway it is real. I looked."

Me "Go back to the bench and look closer under it. It may be a nano."

Son "What in the world is a nano?"

Me i explain what a nano is and what he may be looking for.

Son "Wait a minute... hold on... I think I found something. Wow! It is tiny! It was stuck on a nut and looked like part of it. Now how do you open this... never mind... this paper sure is hard to get out... whoa how have so many people signed this little paper? Now what do I do? Do I sign it for you?"

Me *feeling very pleased* No, don't sign it. I am going to check with the forum at GC if this is okay for me to create you an account so that way you can go back and sign it and I will log it for you online. Oh... and watch out for muggles."

Son "Muggles? Like in Harry Potter muggles?"

Me i explain to him what muggles are and why you have to be careful not letting them watch you

Son "Oh cool. I am the only one in the park so it is safe. Man... this game is pretty fun. I really liked that. Sneaky to."

From then on we just jabber about this and that and how he wants to start geocaching. He also thinks his wife and little ones will like it.

If I found a cache with long distance assistance, then I'd have no problem signing the log with my own name.

However, I personally wouldn't let someone else sign my name in a log for a cache (even a puzzle cache that I had solved) while I was thousands of miles away, as is being done with this one.

I think it is considered 'fair' for you to sign a TEAM name in the log, IF it is a cooperative effort. The individual 'declared' members can then log it online as TEAM members under their own handles. THAT seems to be considered normal practice.

In this case, it would be the same thing, but probably isn't required.

To: OP

As for them wanting an inexpensive GPS device, there are many 'older' models that can be had new around $100 bucks. Most will give good geocaching service. The phone route is a fair ideas as well. Another idea would be if the parent(s) are considering an UPGRADE of GPS. They could then loan or donate their existing one. Of course there are lots of cachers who never use anything but map and compass, or even Google Earth to find caches. The only restriction is on placing (setting coordinates) by GPSr.

The only restriction on PMO caches is that one can not see the cache page unless a Premium Member. Otherwise it is possible to both find and log PMO caches (with difficulty of course, some are just impossible due to lack of information) based on GC site information available to any member. There is a logging option available through the Beta Maps themselves by clicking on the PMO marker dot.

Nice to see some people having fun with Geocaching.