connecting garmin etrex h to pc

I got a garmin etrex h for christmas, and the cable i ordered to connect it to my netbook (and adapter) arrived yesterday.

the adapter got picked up straight away, but my garmin isn't recognised. I've installed the garmin drivers and made sure the unit is switched on.

what am i doing wrong?

Roz

cacher_penguin

Which cable?

Also remember that your etrex won't show up as an extra drive like newer GPS units, so you will need a program to download the waypoints to it.

I use GSAK but there are probably some free ones which are easier to use, hopefully someone will mention one :)

Which cable?

Also remember that your etrex won't show up as an extra drive like newer GPS units, so you will need a program to download the waypoints to it.

I use GSAK but there are probably some free ones which are easier to use, hopefully someone will mention one :)

I got the official garmin cable, and i also have gsak

First off delete all the waypoints on the etrex.

Open GSAK with some waypoints displayed. I have a filter for the ones I haven't found.

GPS>Send Waypoints and select GPSr Setup

Make sure you select the correct COM port

etrex.png

Then just use these settings

etrex1.png

And press Send!

You do need to also set the INTERFACE to GARMIN on the GPS.

ok, done that

Great, you mentioned that you have the Official Garmin Cable, which one? Got a part number?

The reason I ask is to see how it is connected to your computer. USB or true RS-232 serial comm port. If you use a USB to serial adapter, you need the driver software for that interface cable.

I would wait on GSAK, and use the Garmin Communicator first. Has a test page and all... If you can't get that to work, then you aren't going to get some third party software to work. As far as free software, BaseCamp from Garmin will work with your eTrex once you have the interface setup.

You do need to also set the INTERFACE to GARMIN on the GPS.

ok, done that

Great, you mentioned that you have the Official Garmin Cable, which one? Got a part number?

The reason I ask is to see how it is connected to your computer. USB or true RS-232 serial comm port. If you use a USB to serial adapter, you need the driver software for that interface cable.

I would wait on GSAK, and use the Garmin Communicator first. Has a test page and all... If you can't get that to work, then you aren't going to get some third party software to work. As far as free software, BaseCamp from Garmin will work with your eTrex once you have the interface setup.

It is the garmin rs232 serial com port.

I have the serial to USB Adapter, and installed the drivers for it.

I have tried the test page will try communicator in morning when I turn computer bak on

It is the garmin rs232 serial com port.

I have the serial to USB Adapter, and installed the drivers for it.

I have tried the test page will try communicator in morning when I turn computer bak on

Likely in the USB~serial interface. You installed the drivers for that, what about the settings? I would make the comm port lower, say in the 1~4 range.

Have you tried the baud rate? I don't know why, but when I first had easyGPS in like, 2009, there were 2 baud rates for the Garmin. One was like 9600 or something like that and the other was like 4800 or something like that. The Garmin takes 9600 or whatever it is (I know, that doesn't sound like much help, but there were only 2 options and if it wasn't 4whatever then it was 9whatever).

If you have a baud option, check for it. The USB port seems to matter as well, like, if you had the unit hooked up to one particular usb port and installed everything, then moved to a different port on the same machine, then you'd have to reinstall :/

Right, here's what I've done.

Uninstalled everything to do my gps and adapter.

I plugged in my adapter on its own and installed the drivers.

I then downloaded garmin commincator. Plugged in the garmin cable, attached my etrex and turned on

When I went to geocaching.com and tried to transfer details of a geocache, but I have the message ne devices found

I then downloaded garmin commincator. Plugged in the garmin cable, attached my etrex and turned on

When I went to geocaching.com and tried to transfer details of a geocache, but I have the message ne devices found

Anyone one have any ideas/suggestions?????????????????

Anyone one have any ideas/suggestions?????????????????

Try different software to load caches to your gps. Not all serial adapters will work with Garmin Communicator Plugin. From there FAQ page:

"How do I know if the Garmin Communicator Plugin will work with my Garmin device?

The plugin works best with devices that connect to a computer via USB cable. Although some devices that connect to a computer via serial cable or serial-USB adapter will work with the plugin, they are not officially supported, so we cannot guarantee compatibility or provide customer support."

Try EasyGPS or Garmins Mapsource ( which might of come with the unit) or Garmins Basecamp ( dont use so not sure if it will work with serial port, maybe someone who knows will chime in on that one).

Hey I was having the same problems as you, drivers, blah, blah. I finally got it to work with easyGPS. The computer doesn't show the device, but i was able to import the waypoints using the "receive" button on the tool bar on easyGPS. I was stumped before i tried this. Good luck.

Which cable?

Hello, I have an etrexH and I need to connect it to BaseCamp, it is not seeing it, Windows 7

thank you!