Downloading caches to GPS via mobile phone

What phone do you have?

Does your phone have a microSD slot? If it has, that is one way of transferring from phone to the eTrex.

Some phones can function as a USB host as well (with a special cable or adapter). If it can, that's another option.

Thanks for that. I'm not sure I can download straight from the website to my phone anyway as the 'send to my GPS' button isn't visible when I access the website from the phone.

I just successfully downloaded a .gpx file to my phone. I used the 'download GPX' button, not 'send to GPS'.

I would need a (many possibilities here) file management app to move/copy it to a microSD card.

My limited research only shows the Samsung Galaxy S II as a smartphone with USB host capabilities. There are other Google hits that describe ways to hack a special cable...etc.

Seems like the long way around with so many dedicated Geocaching apps out there.

AZC, you're right about there being so many dedicated Geocaching apps for smart phones. I use Geosphere on the iPhone and that' usually enough. But I also use an eTrex 10 and being able to export from the phone directly to the GPS would be a convenience (a minor one, sometimes), if I could get caches on both the phone and the GPS without using my computer. Not enough to make me rush out and buy a phone JUST for that one feature, but when I'm ready for a new phone it would be one possible feature to look for out of many.

What phone do you have?

Does your phone have a microSD slot? If it has, that is one way of transferring from phone to the eTrex.

Some phones can function as a USB host as well (with a special cable or adapter). If it can, that's another option.

Thanks for that. I'm not sure I can download straight from the website to my phone anyway as the 'send to my GPS' button isn't visible when I access the website from the phone.

Don't use "Send to my GPS" - use "Download GPX" if you're a premium member. You may have a 30 day free trial with your eTrex 20.

If you don't want to get a premium membership, you can ask someone to write a simple LOC to GPX converter, and download the LOC.

Chrysalides, can you list some smartphones which can function as a USB host? I'd be in the market for one.

I've read that the Droid supports it.

I first came across info that some phones may support host mode from the DSLR Controller Android app. What that app does is to allow you to control a Canon DSLR using the USB cable. In order to do it, the phone needs to support host mode. You can get a list of phones from here, and what's required for them to support host mode. My phone's not one of them, so I can't test.

https://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller

A special cable may (will?) be required.

My Android tablet supports host mode just fine, but it will only see the microSD card of my Oregon. If I remove the microSD before connecting, it will see the internal memory.

I have been using my iphone4 for everything, save PQ's in phone no need for internet hookup while in the field. As long as I save them while being on charger it won't drain the power. Plus I keep plugged in while vehicle in running. Seems to work best for me.