Don't know if I'm putting this in the right place...

nationg04

I'm Greg, from Longview, WA. I've been reading up on Geocaching for about a month now and I'm really interested so far. I am hoping to get out this weekend for my first hunt, there seems to be plenty to find around town! I hope this turns into something I can do for years to come.

Welcome! Might I suggest that you try finding more than one kind of cache before you form an opinion about this game. That's good advice before hiding, too. There are a million different styles of hiding. You can go to events, and meet other cachers to learn more about caching, your GPSr, puzzle caches, pocket queries, GSAK, and such. To find events you can got to the seek a cache link, search by your state, the events that are coming up will show up first in the list. There are a lot of different kinds of events too. Some involve camping, kayaking, computer/GPS classes, CITO, BBQ, Wings and Beer, Pizza parties, holiday parties, birthday partirs, even weddings on islands in the middle of the Connecticut River, that you had to paddle, or motor, to and camp out, and the preacher is a cacher from Illinoise. You never know what kind of fun you'll end up having. :D

I hear there are some pretty awesome caches in the PNW. And you could probably make it to Seattle for the next Block Party they have.

Welcome to our new Geocaching friend. I hope you find plenty of caches this weekend. And as was already mentioned please tell us of your adventures. This is a fun sport for all who get involved. Be sure to read up on the forums as to what to take along with you while you are out caching. Have fun and cache safe.

Hi Greg. I'm a newbie as well. Two days in and I've not found anything yet in Fife, Scotland. Not disheartened yet as I've been out in the fresh air and am already feeling better for it (well I will be after a hot bath tonight). One day soon I'll find one and then it'll be onwards and upwards.

Hi Greg. I'm a newbie as well. Two days in and I've not found anything yet in Fife, Scotland. Not disheartened yet as I've been out in the fresh air and am already feeling better for it (well I will be after a hot bath tonight). One day soon I'll find one and then it'll be onwards and upwards.

Welcome!

UK and Ireland cachers can be found here in the forums Come and join in with us!

(There's also a separate Scottish forum (not Groundspeak) the link can be found in the UK and Ireland forum.)

Check what size cache you are looking for. Micro's are hard enough, but they can get smaller (often called Nano's) It's a good idea to look for the larger sizes, with lower Difficulty and Terrain numbers.

I didn't make it out this weekend! We had a bit of a family emergency and my Wife and I ended up babysitting, and one of the kids was too small to take out in the cold weather... I am hoping for this coming weekend though.

Not to worry! The caches will still be there and waiting for you. In general (paying attention to posted hours of access when appropriate) geocaching is ready when you are :lol:

Good luck!

My Wife and I finally made it out to get our first cache! I'm super stoked about it... what a rush! I can't wait to get out and find more this afternoon!

Excellent! Glad your first was so enjoyable.

There will be disappointments and struggles in the first few... I highly recommend trying to find some other cachers nearby so you can go hunting with them. Really helps the learning curve!

I couldn't believe the rush I got finding the first one. I hope you get your first cache and have the same experience. Good luck!

It seems that I've found something I can stick with for a very long time in geocaching. I've actually been out and caching for about three weeks and it's been great; I have walked more in that time than I have in the 5 years since my back surgery, about 5 miles in just the last two weeks, and I've lost about 15 pounds so far (I weighed in at the start of the year at 351, and I'm down to 335 as of the 3rd of February). I haven't had this much energy to do exercise in a long, long time, geocaching is literally giving me my life back... I really want to express my appreciation to the geocaching community for being so welcoming and supportive to me as a new geocacher, it's been an amazing experience and I look forward to many more years.

Thats awesome. I find it motivating me to get off the couch alot quicker to. This was my 3rd day out and found 5 for 5 today. I think its becoming addicting. But at least if it is it will be good for me.

It is addicting. I love the hunt and every time I find a new one I can't wait to get out and search for the next.