[FEATURE] Needs maintenance log adjustment

4wheelin_fool

The "Needs Maintenance" logs tend to be abused, as to be posted for a variety of non-maintenance issues.

Instead of user filled log, cachers should just be given a checklist to determine the maintenance issue.

-log wet/missing

-container wet

-container damaged

-coords off by more than 30 feet

For other issues, cachers should be instructed to use the DNF, NA or write note log type. The maintenance issue could appear somewhere else on the page, rather than buried in with the logs.

Also the checklist could be added to the other type of logs, rather than being separate. Some cachers already use "Needs Maintenance" as a found log without realizing that they need to post a separate log.

Just a thought.

Some will argue that if the checklist data appeared elsewhere then other searchers wouldn't see it (but hey thats their problem if they don't read the whole page (barring those without phones or paperless gps)) but on the other hand it could be made anonymous which might remove the percieved reluctance to post NM logs?

Edit to say that on second thoughts I guess it would be quite easy to figure out the offending finder.

Edited by The Real Boudica.

There are other reasons to post NM logs. For example, a cache found out in the open, when the hint decrypts to "low, inside". I can re-hide the cache somewhere that matches the hint, but the CO should make sure it's in the right spot. Nothing is missing, wet, or damaged, and the coordinates are still spot on. Hopefully your form will offer an "Other" option...

Also the checklist could be added to the other type of logs,

Just what we need :rolleyes:

Found It logs with a checklist

• TFTC.
  • 1 of 150 today. Thx.
  • Nice cache.
  • Lame cache.

No, a maintenence checklist. :rolleyes:

There does not really need to be a second log to fill out. If the cache has a problem, cachers could scroll down the list and choose an option rather than using a "needs maintenence" log in place of a DNF.

IIRC, the idea of making "Needs Maintenance" a checkbox on other log types (Found It, Didn't Find It, Note, etc.), rather than a separate log type, was suggested on the UserVoice system. While I don't think that change is necessary, I think it could be workable.

But using checkboxes or radio buttons for a small number of official reasons for maintenance doesn't seem workable. There will always be other reasons for maintenance besides the official ones chosen.

The "Needs Maintenance" logs tend to be abused, as to be posted for a variety of non-maintenance issues.

Instead of user filled log, cachers should just be given a checklist to determine the maintenance issue.

-log wet/missing

-container wet

-container damaged

-coords off by more than 30 feet

For other issues, cachers should be instructed to use the DNF, NA or write note log type. The maintenance issue could appear somewhere else on the page, rather than buried in with the logs.

Also the checklist could be added to the other type of logs, rather than being separate. Some cachers already use "Needs Maintenance" as a found log without realizing that they need to post a separate log.

Just a thought.

I like this, but I do believe that what should be added to the list, is "Possible MIA" option.

Yes, I will agree, there are many times cachers can't find a cache thinking it's MIA when in fact it is still there.

In fact... I have even DISABLED one of my OWN caches thinking it was MIA, When I went back to replace with a new container, I found the old original container sill in it's original location. Why I couldn't find my own cache who knows... it wasn't even a D5 cache either! LOL But it happens....

Yet still.... Sometimes cachers do know for obviosu reasons that a cache is in fact MIA, without a doubt in some situations. When that IS the case... IT doesn't need a NA log, or a simple DNF log. All it really needs ia NM log saying its MIA.

NA logs should only be issues, if a CO isn't doing maintnance of anytype on his/her cachs in a timely manner. NA logs should also of course be issued if it is noticed that the cache violates a geocaching guideline, or any Federal, State, or local law.

NM logs should be used to give the CO notice that their is an issue with their cache. IF the CO DOESN'T make the needed the repairs/adjustments etc... THEN & only then should a NA log be issued.

Another reason I like this idea as well is because I would prefer not to have to enter dual logs. However there are times where a Maintnance log is needed & where a cacher doesn't need to log a DNF log, or even a found log either.

As much as I dont' want to enter a found log, & then a Maint. log. I think thats still the best way. However, If we DNF the cache, we should be given the option to put in a maint. issues with a DNF log. SO that it enables the "NM Attribute Flag"

TGC

IIRC, the idea of making "Needs Maintenance" a checkbox on other log types (Found It, Didn't Find It, Note, etc.), rather than a separate log type, was suggested on the UserVoice system. While I don't think that change is necessary, I think it could be workable.

But using checkboxes or radio buttons for a small number of official reasons for maintenance doesn't seem workable. There will always be other reasons for maintenance besides the official ones chosen.

In which case... you can have a checkbox/radio button for "OTHER" which as on many surveys I take, activates a descriptive box to elaborate on the meaning of "other". When you don't "check" the other box. The descriptive box isn't activated.

TGC

Personally I think "Needs Maintenance" is OK, its "Needs Archive" that needs changing to "Needs Review". IMHO

Its all semantics. Change the name of NA to NR its still the same thing.

A Rose is still a rose no matter what name you call it. A Sanatation Engineer is still the garbage man.

But I do agree... a NR log does sound more apropriate than NA.

TGC