Dangers are dangers and dangers can appear anytime

Dode222

Last night I had a dream were me and my parents were out in the countryside. It was wonderful, except there was a mad cow on the loose.

When I woke up, i thought about the safety of Geocachers.

Overall, before going out to find a cache, you should check the news for the area, to make sure there aren't any mad cows on the loose or something like that

Last night I had a dream were me and my parents were out in the countryside. It was wonderful, except there was a mad cow on the loose.

Overall, before going out to find a cache, you should check the news for the area, to make sure there aren't any mad cows on the loose or something like that

On one cache hunt, we didn't have mad cows, we had demon cows.

46de8a6b-d0fe-4463-99df-d38e4df16950.jpg

Your safety is entirely your own responsibility. An activity is as dangerous or as safe as you make it. I also operate radio equipment at the summits of mountains, and i explore abandoned buildings and derelict places. The key is to always be aware of your surroundings, always leave details with someone responsible if you are out on your own, and appreciate and do not exceed your own limits!

As for mad cows - cows just freak me out anyway! :o

Yes, it's funny than someone died, isnt it?

It was wonderful, except there was a mad cow on the loose.

There was a point in my life when I believed that my spot at the top of the food chain meant something. I own a night cache that takes you through a swamp full of all manner of dangerous critters, which I listed on the cache page. A while back I had to add belligerent bovines to that list. These are not a new addition to the area, (feral cattle have been wandering this property for more than a century), I just never considered them a threat.

I was wandering about one night, replacing reflectors, when I came in contact with a large bull. We've met before, and I've always been able to avoid conflict by simply stepping out of his direction of travel. This night, that didn't work. When he parted the palmettos, he made aggressive postures, (head shakes, foot stomps, blowing, etc), so I stepped sideways, out of his way. He turned to face me, and continued to posture. I moved again, and he turned again, as if to say, "I don't care that you're on top of the food chain. These are my woods!".

Prudence kicked in and I left him to his domain.

Whooda thunk I could be scared of a cow? :blink::lol:

Rather than just indirectly making fun of the tragic death thread, you could just post your snarky comments in there.

Are you certain that this was his motivation?

The timing is more than a little suspect. If you buy the "I had a dream" line, then they're only guilty of having very bad situational awareness. But I don't buy it.

Maybe I'm just a cynic, but as you well know, circumstantial evidence can be more than sufficient to convict.

Edited by hzoi

Rather than just indirectly making fun of the tragic death thread, you could just post your snarky comments in there.

Are you certain that this was his motivation?

The timing is more than a little suspect. If you buy the "I had a dream" line, then they're only guilty of having very bad situational awareness. But I don't buy it.

Maybe I'm just a cynic, but as you well know, circumstantial evidence can be more than sufficient to convict.

Perhaps you guys could utilize your investigative skills to determine the probability of it being a sock account, as well as the identity of it's owner.

On a serious note - cattle are the biggest concern I have when Geocaching. Many of the public footpaths in the UK pass through fields with cattle, and I've had some scary experiences. Several people are killed each year in the UK by cattle.

With cattle I guess it is a question of watching them carefully as you approach the area they are in. If they seem unsettled and treat you as a threat, it may well be time to choose another route. On the other hand if they seem relaxed then it is probably ok to proceed.

On a serious note - cattle are the biggest concern I have when Geocaching. Many of the public footpaths in the UK pass through fields with cattle, and I've had some scary experiences. Several people are killed each year in the UK by cattle.

With cattle I guess it is a question of watching them carefully as you approach the area they are in. If they seem unsettled and treat you as a threat, it may well be time to choose another route. On the other hand if they seem relaxed then it is probably ok to proceed.

Or just banning a cache that cows might want to eat grass.

I'm thinking of innocent people being killed by mad cows.

I was wandering about one night, replacing reflectors, when I came in contact with a large bull. We've met before, and I've always been able to avoid conflict by simply stepping out of his direction of travel. This night, that didn't work. When he parted the palmettos, he made aggressive postures, (head shakes, foot stomps, blowing, etc), so I stepped sideways, out of his way. He turned to face me, and continued to posture. I moved again, and he turned again, as if to say, "I don't care that you're on top of the food chain. These are my woods!".

By this conduct, I would think one of the girls was approaching or in what he considers an exciting state. Best time ever to avoid the big guys, they become very protective of their domain then.

Mooooooooo :laughing:

I guess that it would be more like mmmmonomnmonolnolmkmo if cows can do that.

You might be right, I never had much to do with cows.

As far as I am concerned, they could go "shazoooooo" and I wouldn't care.

I prefer eating them. :omnomnom:

I find it much more interesting that some people get offended so easily that it's almost funny.

Almost. <_<:wacko:

Some things I've noticed about these forums: a) people get offended way too easily, B) the understanding of sarcasm is nearly non-existent, c) jokes seem to be taken very seriously.

Maybe it's because everyone is so old.

Sure, he probably didn't have a dream about a mad cow. I didn't think he did when I read it, but it was a nice lead-in. However, he should be hanged for misleading some of us who read everything on the internet as though it's the gospel truth. Right?

Some things I've noticed about these forums: a) people get offended way too easily, B) the understanding of sarcasm is nearly non-existent, c) jokes seem to be taken very seriously.

Sure, he probably didn't have a dream about a mad cow. I didn't think he did when I read it, but it was a nice lead-in. However, he should be hanged for misleading some of us who read everything on the internet as though it's the gospel truth. Right?

Are you suggesting to kill someone for writing about a dream he had? How evil of you :P

As I said, there aren't too many cows in the city, bt my friends cat sometimes scares the living hell out of me :lol:

That thing is the weirdest animal I have ever seen. Creepy cat! :blink:

I got chased by cows once, lol. I was totally deserving of it, but it was rather scary, haha.

I think the main idea is that wherever we go there's always going to be something that could be scary. Cows, racoons, giant hummingbirds, weird kitties, missing sections of floor, cliffs, moths, spiders, drug-addled crazies, rabid dogs, etc. You just never know, and if you make it out alive, well, then there's a story for later.

It was wonderful, except there was a mad cow on the loose.

It might have been that the bull thought that you wantend a female cow, and he wanted a fight with you.

I swear I was no where near there, and you can't prove otherwise!! :anibad:

I swear I was no where near there, and you can't prove otherwise!! :anibad:

:blink::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Have you ever been to a Midwestern bar on Dollar Beer Night? There's all kinds on animals out to molest you!

Well I am in the Midwest but I do my best to stay out of bars in general and especially during dollar draft nights. Frat parties were bad enough.

Cows are evil! I thought that everyone knew that! During the time that I hiked half the Appalachian Trail, I had to hike across cow pastures several times. Cows glare in an evil manner! You try hiking across cow pasatures with a thirty pound back pack, with cows glaring and mooing at you. YOu will sonn determine that they are evil incarnate!

It is so funny that you brought up this topic...we were in the desert just the other day and ran across a number of freaky cows...our dog was going crazy barking at them....

Look at the crazy eyes and the HUGE nostrils!!

Goodness gracious, is that a fang? :blink:

Yup.

Arizona Saber-tooth cow.

This one must have recently fed...too full and satiated to attack.

Was that sarcasm, or should I be easily offended? :huh:

:P