Copying Garmin Discoverer Maps onto one SD Card

Mallah

I've scoured the internet for this but can't seem to find what I'm after.

I have the Garmin 1:50k ALL UK Discoverer map in my GPSMAP62s on an SD Card. I'm about to buy the 1:25k Discoverer Map for the Peak District (also on an SD Card) but this will mean I can either have one or the other in the device at any one time.

What I would like to do is have both in there so I can swap between the two as and when, so what I would like to know is:

a) Is it posible to copy the new 1:25k Peak District map onto the existing 4gb SD card that has the 1:50k map on it? (I know there is enough space on the card)

B) Is it posible to copy both maps onto a bigger, say 8gb SD Card with a view to adding more 1:25k maps in the future.

When I plug the GPS into my laptop it shows a 'Removable Drive G:' which is the SD card, however it does not show the map files as they appear to be hidden somehow (using the show hidden fies option on Win7 doesn't make them appear!) So any instructions on how to move the files across etc would be appreciated.

Thanks

Unfortunately for us, Garmin are a bit clever in this matter - the mapping files (even if you could see them) are locked to that specific SD card - in order that you can't copy them and give copies to your friends etc... Each SD card has a unique identifier code, and the mapping files are "encrypted" to match that code. If the files are simply copied to another card, the code encrypted in the files no longer match the new card, and they won't work.

There is software out there for cracking Garmin map locking, but I've never used it so can't advise you further. If you Google for it, you'll find further information.

If you bought the Peak District map as a download rather than on a card, you might be able to put the files onto your existing card (I've never tried this), but you might also potentially mess up the data on the existing card. Proceed with caution...

Edited by RamblinBear