International EarthCache Day 2012

danieloliveira

1. Regarding souvenirs, please see the other thread here. The possibility of them was mentioned to a handful of folks who had inquired about it, but a souvenir was not promised. We are sorry we couldn't make it happen for 2012, but are working on it for 2013. There will be no retroactive souvenir.

2. Thanks to everyone who hosted an event, visited an EarthCache, published an EarthCache, or celebrated International EarthCache Day in some other form!

We are already discussing plans for next year, and would love to hear feedback and suggestions. Comments on the souvenir thing have been noted and we're already working on that.

GeoawareHQ

Future International EarthCache Day dates:

13 October 2013

12 October 2014

Here is the home page where the future Earth Science Week Dates are always posted:

http://www.earthsciweek.org/whatisesw/futurethemes.html

EarthCache Day is always held on the first day of Earth Science Week, which is a Sunday.

If it makes more sense for some folks to do their events and activities on the Saturday (or the Monday if that is a holiday weekend in some areas), that is fine too! But we will focus the observance on Sunday.

The above link has just been added to http://www.geosociety.org/earthcache/EarthCacheDay.html

GC3YJ75 has been finally published. I had to change the original challenge several times to meet the reviewer's requirements. It is finally published and ready to be found. The original challenge was much more interesting and challenging but this finally passed their mustard.

Nice Idea! Any particular reason for the #25? I wonder if GS/GSA would accept a smaller total? That may spur more interest among the masses...

GC3YJ75 has been finally published. I had to change the original challenge several times to meet the reviewer's requirements. It is finally published and ready to be found. The original challenge was much more interesting and challenging but this finally passed their mustard.

Great stuff - I have been thinking of placing an EC challenge cache series here in SA for cachers who are on Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum Masters.

I understand from the challenge guidelines however that one can not make "hiding" a cache a requirement as this is an ALR.

So I think this is a good work around. Look forward to suggestions and the enxt ones placed.

Future International EarthCache Day dates:

13 October 2013

12 October 2014

Here is the home page where the future Earth Science Week Dates are always posted:

http://www.earthsciweek.org/whatisesw/futurethemes.html

EarthCache Day is always held on the first day of Earth Science Week, which is a Sunday.

If it makes more sense for some folks to do their events and activities on the Saturday (or the Monday if that is a holiday weekend in some areas), that is fine too! But we will focus the observance on Sunday.

The above link has just been added to http://www.geosociety.org/earthcache/EarthCacheDay.html

Noted. Thanks very much.

So all this involves is visiting 25 EC's and you can log the cache? I can see the PT cachers going berserk with stupid ideas. :lol:

The original challenge was much more interesting and challenging but after many, many emails with the reviewer, this was what I wound up doing. I have had comments both ways: ONLY 25 EC? Piece of cake. Others, "I'll never get that many EC." Well, to each their own.

Two people have already contacted me to copy this challenge word for word to put in their own state. Glad someone likes it.

The original challenge was much more interesting and challenging but after many, many emails with the reviewer, this was what I wound up doing. I have had comments both ways: ONLY 25 EC? Piece of cake. Others, "I'll never get that many EC." Well, to each their own.

Two people have already contacted me to copy this challenge word for word to put in their own state. Glad someone likes it.

I've looked at some of the other EC Challenges that exist, and I'm drawing the conclusion that perhaps a smaller # of finds may increase the general and overall interest in ECs. Another factor is proximity, some areas are a bit sparse in EC locations.

Another factor is proximity, some areas are a bit sparse in EC locations.

That's certainly true. There are some EarthCaches in the area here, but it will be difficult to get to 25, thus this after all would be a real challenge for many people around (nothing wrong with that! We spent ages to fulfill some challenges). And you need to have enough interest in the topic to go and look at a handful of rather similar erratics, eskers, inversed lakes and other glacial features :anibad: But all in all, 25 sounds like a solid number: it's probably not too easy but still achievable.

Mrs. terratin

There is ALWAYS geology! Want help? I can be very creative! As far as the cachers,.... well.... not much I can do for that.

You're certainly right, there's always geology. In this case it would mean to lend a car and drive out of town past our normal cycling range. In town it's only building materials of uncertain origin (mostly granite), and construction sites mainly show artificially dumped sand, and if you're lucky some structureless glacial deposits. :laughing: Deposition and erosion along a small river might be an option, and there's a fine glacial erratic within train&bike distance where the owner of the EC there missed to mention the really interesting features :ph34r: So yes, there's always geology around (it's just not the one I like *swings her rock hammer* :grin:)

Mrs. terratin

There is no Souvenir available this year, but we are working on having one available for next year.

If you log an EarthCache on EarthCache Day, or attend one of the events listed above, feel free to use this art in your geocaching profile (but please don't use it in other ways, like stickers, etc.) - https://sphotos-b.xx...553530430_n.jpg

Best wishes, and have a great weekend!

--GeoawareHQ

Pity. It would have been an added incentive for cachers to participate more actively

There is no Souvenir available this year, but we are working on having one available for next year.

If you log an EarthCache on EarthCache Day, or attend one of the events listed above, feel free to use this art in your geocaching profile (but please don't use it in other ways, like stickers, etc.) - https://sphotos-b.xx...553530430_n.jpg

Best wishes, and have a great weekend!

--GeoawareHQ

Pity. It would have been an added incentive for cachers to participate more actively

It might be possible to have an unofficial souvenir for International Earthcache day 2012

In Houston we have two different Earthcache Challenges. Both published before this one and are much more difficult.

GC3HAKN You must find at least one earthcache in at least 10 different states and have a minimum of 100 earthcaches.

GC1Z4PZ Is much more complicated and requires a bit of traveling to complete. Even though it is only 20 earthcaches.