International EarthCache Day 2012

danieloliveira

Every two years I seem to ask the same question but on what date does International EarthCache Day fall on this year?

I think that the date of the international EC day which exists since 2006 is associated with the date of the Earthcience week

You can look up the dates for 2012 and 2013 here

http://www.earthsciweek.org

My guess for 2012 would be October 14. I do not know, however, whether the large EC event which will take place in September 2012 will change the logic behind the dates chosen in 2006-2011.

Edited by cezanne

Every two years I seem to ask the same question but on what date does International EarthCache Day fall on this year?

I think that the date of the international EC day which exists since 2006 is associated with the date of the Earthcience week

You can look up the dates for 2012 and 2013 here

http://www.earthsciweek.org

My guess for 2012 would be October 14. I do not know, however, whether the large EC event which will take place in September 2012 will change the logic behind the dates chosen in 2006-2011.

Thank you. Yes, the big EC event might shift things.

International EarthCache day has always been the first Sunday of Earth Science Week.

This year it is 14 October.

As always, I will be able to provide a small package of materials for anyone who organizes an official geocaching event to mark International EarthCache day to use as prizes as part of the event.

:D

International EarthCache day has always been the first Sunday of Earth Science Week.

As always, I will be able to provide a small package of materials for anyone who organizes an official geocaching event to mark International EarthCache day to use as prizes as part of the event.

So, how do we contact you to get our package of goodies for participants?

A double thank you for the info.

earthcache@geosociety.org

You will soon have mail...-;)

Edited by danieloliveira

Would anyone in the world be willing to 'partner' a project of some kind on this day? A joint CITO at and EC? How about a facetime chat? A skype? I am open to just about any type of joint activity. Is there a Greensboro of any type spelling somewhere in the world that we can do a same time/ same name event at and EC? What about a My EC is like your EC event with an event at two or more simliar EC in different locations? :laughing: :laughing:

Hey, I am brainstorming here. I think I am going to put a notice in the educational forum so educators can brainstorm with us..

Mark

The stickers were really well recieved in Abu Dhabi 2 years back - I think I still have one or two left. An African event this year sounds like a good idea.

I was thinking of having an Earthcache day event this year. Is it possible to get some support from GSA i.e goodies to give away or display? Thanks. :)

I have enjoyed EC events in the past that we both have attended. Cumberland Gap was the best, my family split from the group and toured Gap Cave with the Park Ranger. It was so foggy that day the only real good photos were from inside the Cave.

I'm sure GSA will send you some treets, if not I can bring some rocks. :laughing:

Please add me to your list Geoaware, Ill be setting an event up on the 14th!

Please add me to your list Geoaware, Ill be setting an event up on the 14th!

You've been added to the list :)

Okay here's a compilation of all the events we know of:

GC3Y0ZT - Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany

GC3XJBH - North Carolina, USA

GC3Y0YP - Alaska, USA

GC3Y0X6 - California, USA

GC3XBBM- Eastern England, UK

GC3W6CH - London, United Kingdom

GC3WK5Z - Iowa, USA

GC3TXPW - Maine, USA

GC3XEP2 - Pennsylvania, USA

GC3WR2T - Southern Scotland, United Kingdom

GC3WT80 - Quebec, Canada

I just finished mailing out packages to event organizers. That's the last I'll be able to send out, due to timing (and supplies!).

Have a great weekend, all!

--Matt

geoawarehq

Press release: http://www.geosociety.org/news/pr/12-73.htm

International EarthCache Day Helps Kick-Off Earth Science Week

Boulder, CO, USA – The sixth annual International EarthCache Day returns on Sunday, 14 October, to help kick-off Earth Science Week 2012. The public is invited to join the Geological Society of America (GSA), Geocaching.com, and the American Geosciences Institute (AGI) in exploring this exciting and educational Earth science experience.

International EarthCache Day is a time when EarthCache enthusiasts around the globe organize small gatherings where people learn about the Earth. On this day, EarthCache participants are also encouraged to visit EarthCache sites and introduce the EarthCache program to those who are not yet familiar with it. An EarthCache is a place that people can discover with a GPS device while participating in a “treasure hunt” called geocaching, a global game popularized by Geocaching.com. “The treasure you find at an EarthCache is a lesson about the Earth itself,” says EarthCache program director Gary Lewis of GSA, a longtime Earth Science Week partner.

EarthCache events are being held around the world on 14 October, in Germany, Canada, the United Kingdom, the United States, and elsewhere. For information about International EarthCache Day events, and for more details about EarthCache, visit www.earthcache.org, www.facebook.com/earthcache, or contact earthcache@geosociety.org.

This year, International EarthCache Day follows on the heels of the highly successful First Annual International EarthCache Mega Event, which took place on 2 September 2012, in New Gloucester, Maine, USA. This event hosted over 700 participants from around the globe who came together to celebrate, learn more about, and advance the global EarthCache program. The Second Annual International EarthCache Mega Event is scheduled for 7 September 2013, in St. George, Utah, an area surrounded by wonderful red-rock geology and a number of great EarthCache sites. For information about this event, see www.earthcacheevent.org.

Earth Science Week is an annual event sponsored by AGI to expand public understanding and appreciation for the earth sciences and to encourage stewardship of the Earth. This year’s Earth Science Week will be 14–20 October. To learn more about Earth Science Week, visit www.earthsciweek.org.

The American Geosciences Institute is a nonprofit federation of 50 geoscientific and professional associations that represents more than 250,000 geologists, geophysicists and other earth scientists. Founded in 1948, AGI provides information services to geoscientists, serves as a voice of shared interests in the profession, plays a major role in strengthening geoscience education, and strives to increase public awareness of the vital role the geosciences play in society's use of resources, resiliency to natural hazards, and interaction with the environment.

The Geological Society of America is a non-profit organization that provides access to elements that are essential to the professional growth of earth scientists at all levels of expertise and from all sectors: academic, government, business, and industry. The Geological Society's growing membership unites thousands of earth scientists from every corner of the globe in a common purpose to study the mysteries of our planet and share scientific findings.

Groundspeak, the makers of Geocaching.com and the global geocaching game, is a privately held company whose mission is to inspire outdoor play using location-based technology. It is committed to: building location-based tools that inspire real world discovery and global play; providing and enhancing outdoor experiences; supporting parks and outdoor recreational areas; educating about GPS and other location-based technologies; and bringing online communities together in physical locations

Background

The first EarthCache site was developed by Lewis in 2004 on a headland in New South Wales, Australia. It leads to evidence in the rocks of an ancient ice age and amazing fossils to discover. Since then over 23,000 sites have been placed by geocachers around the globe and a staggering 3,300,000 people have visited those sites to date. EarthCache discoveries lie on every continent, and accommodate every age and outdoor skill level. Earthcache sites are added on a daily basis and are listed at Geocaching.com.

For more information about EarthCache Day or for general program information, contact Gary Lewis at the address or phone number above.

EarthCache Day homepage: http://www.geosociety.org/earthcache/EarthCacheDay.html

EarthCache Day event listing on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/108103752676512/

Geocaching homepage: www.geocaching.com

Press release: http://www.geosociety.org/news/pr/12-73.htm

International EarthCache Day Helps Kick-Off Earth Science Week

Boulder, CO, USA – The sixth annual International EarthCache Day returns on Sunday, 14 October, to help kick-off Earth Science Week 2012. The public is invited to join the Geological Society of America (GSA), Geocaching.com, and the American Geosciences Institute (AGI) in exploring this exciting and educational Earth science experience.

International EarthCache Day is a time when EarthCache enthusiasts around the globe organize small gatherings where people learn about the Earth. On this day, EarthCache participants are also encouraged to visit EarthCache sites and introduce the EarthCache program to those who are not yet familiar with it. An EarthCache is a place that people can discover with a GPS device while participating in a “treasure hunt” called geocaching, a global game popularized by Geocaching.com. “The treasure you find at an EarthCache is a lesson about the Earth itself,” says EarthCache program director Gary Lewis of GSA, a longtime Earth Science Week partner.

EarthCache events are being held around the world on 14 October, in Germany, Canada, the United Kingdom, the United States, and elsewhere. For information about International EarthCache Day events, and for more details about EarthCache, visit www.earthcache.org, www.facebook.com/earthcache, or contact earthcache@geosociety.org.

This year, International EarthCache Day follows on the heels of the highly successful First Annual International EarthCache Mega Event, which took place on 2 September 2012, in New Gloucester, Maine, USA. This event hosted over 700 participants from around the globe who came together to celebrate, learn more about, and advance the global EarthCache program. The Second Annual International EarthCache Mega Event is scheduled for 7 September 2013, in St. George, Utah, an area surrounded by wonderful red-rock geology and a number of great EarthCache sites. For information about this event, see www.earthcacheevent.org.

Earth Science Week is an annual event sponsored by AGI to expand public understanding and appreciation for the earth sciences and to encourage stewardship of the Earth. This year’s Earth Science Week will be 14–20 October. To learn more about Earth Science Week, visit www.earthsciweek.org.

The American Geosciences Institute is a nonprofit federation of 50 geoscientific and professional associations that represents more than 250,000 geologists, geophysicists and other earth scientists. Founded in 1948, AGI provides information services to geoscientists, serves as a voice of shared interests in the profession, plays a major role in strengthening geoscience education, and strives to increase public awareness of the vital role the geosciences play in society's use of resources, resiliency to natural hazards, and interaction with the environment.

The Geological Society of America is a non-profit organization that provides access to elements that are essential to the professional growth of earth scientists at all levels of expertise and from all sectors: academic, government, business, and industry. The Geological Society's growing membership unites thousands of earth scientists from every corner of the globe in a common purpose to study the mysteries of our planet and share scientific findings.

Groundspeak, the makers of Geocaching.com and the global geocaching game, is a privately held company whose mission is to inspire outdoor play using location-based technology. It is committed to: building location-based tools that inspire real world discovery and global play; providing and enhancing outdoor experiences; supporting parks and outdoor recreational areas; educating about GPS and other location-based technologies; and bringing online communities together in physical locations

Background

The first EarthCache site was developed by Lewis in 2004 on a headland in New South Wales, Australia. It leads to evidence in the rocks of an ancient ice age and amazing fossils to discover. Since then over 23,000 sites have been placed by geocachers around the globe and a staggering 3,300,000 people have visited those sites to date. EarthCache discoveries lie on every continent, and accommodate every age and outdoor skill level. Earthcache sites are added on a daily basis and are listed at Geocaching.com.

For more information about EarthCache Day or for general program information, contact Gary Lewis at the address or phone number above.

EarthCache Day homepage: http://www.geosociety.org/earthcache/EarthCacheDay.html

EarthCache Day event listing on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/108103752676512/

Geocaching homepage: www.geocaching.com

Do we get a souvenir icon for finding one that day?

There is no Souvenir available this year, but we are working on having one available for next year.

If you log an EarthCache on EarthCache Day, or attend one of the events listed above, feel free to use this art in your geocaching profile (but please don't use it in other ways, like stickers, etc.) - https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/74805_291891504248439_553530430_n.jpg

Best wishes, and have a great weekend!

--GeoawareHQ

There is no Souvenir available this year, but we are working on having one available for next year.

If you log an EarthCache on EarthCache Day, or attend one of the events listed above, feel free to use this art in your geocaching profile (but please don't use it in other ways, like stickers, etc.) - https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/74805_291891504248439_553530430_n.jpg

--GeoawareHQ

Thank you for the answer.

--GeoawareHQ

Pity. It would have been an added incentive for cachers to participate more actively