Majuba - Hill of Doves

Wazat

Hey everyone, I am keen on doing a Majuba event towards the end of February, sort of as to co-incide with the battle that took place there almost 131 years back. But I am not sure I can include it as they usually organize a whole battle reenactment for that same weekend and it may be a bit difficult to find the actual caches as the mountain will be alive with activity, but then the experience of it might interest a lot of people. As geocachers we could maybe spend the day together as a group and to make the caches easier we stick together as a group to make things less obvious when searching for the caches.

Just toying with the idea at the moment so if there is enough interest it will help in my decision.....

From some feedback I think the re-enactment takes place at the bottom of the mountain, so it should not be a problem for us to do the caches. I know a lot of you are probably thinking that it been a mountain it is going to be a tough caching weekend. Well yes and no. It is a stiff climb yes but with a group and water and enough rests it is pretty easy to get up. I have in a fit condition made it from the entrance gate up to the top, searched for about 15 min for the cache and back down to the entrance in 1 hour. But I must admit I was quote fit at the time. However it can be done in a three hour round trip to find all the caches and enjoy some amazing views. I do have a multi and a puzzle on the top but I do not mind taking the group straight to the caches, or at least the vicinity of the caches. We will still go to all the areas required to solve the multi should you wish to do them. A total of 5 caches are on the mountain with another 4 round the area. These as well as around 60 in Newcastle could make a great caching weekend for many of you who have not been in this area.

My plan is to camp at the Majuba site for the weekend and enjoy the festivities of the day... However advice for someone who has been, it is a Boer celebration, and as an Englishman I walk on dangerous ground.... So I might have to don veldskoen and bush hat for the day....

Hallo guys! Sounds great! Don't think we'll be able to make the journey, but it should be lots of fun and interesting. Apart from the mock battle the whole weekend is almost a cultural festival. Some serious Boere talk occur there, but for the most part everybody is very friendly and would not even mind an Englishman in their midst, Wazat! As a Boer I would even appreciate an Englishman taking the time to come and see what happens.

Here is a program and some contact details if you have further inquiries: http://www.bravoland.co.za/forum/index.php?topic=6133.0

There will be meetings, cultural events and lekker kuiers with good Boere people.

Thanks Vryburgers, iwas actually going to go there tomorrow depending on work to see what arrangements I could make. Itnis going to be a large gathering of the boers for sure and GerhardoosMPsa may waging our own battle out on Majuba in a game of chess.... Will have a great weekend for sure.

Would be great if we could have a large contingement of Geocachers out there too. Maybe even get a foot in for the Boere to learn a bit about Geocaching... Who knows...