Explorist 500 software update

RBDB

Hi, I have an explorist 500 that is loaded with Software version 2.03. I would like to upgrade the unit with magellans latest software but when I look on the magellan site I am not sure if I should be downloading version EU2.57(this may be for European models only) or version NA2.18. My location is in Canada an any help from anyone who has done a software update to their 500 would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you

Robert

You can use the european FW as an upgrade but make sure to copy your curent NA basemap and save it first. A good idea anyway with Explorists. After FW burn,you cam go in and swap basemaps.

I did that a few years back to get WAAS functioning again. Search the forum archive for key words 'trainlove....WAAS...Explorist'.

You can use the european FW as an upgrade but make sure to copy your curent NA basemap and save it first. A good idea anyway with Explorists. After FW burn,you cam go in and swap basemaps.

I did that a few years back to get WAAS functioning again. Search the forum archive for key words 'trainlove....WAAS...Explorist'.

thats a good point about saving maps.

The firmware you are asking about is a good improvement and adds nice features and is worth doing. However, make sure your serial number starts with 118 or 0118. If it is another number do not install 2.57. I understand that 2.03 is on serial number 118 units, so you should be OK. See the Yahoo Magellan eXplorist site for the files and firmware upgrade instructions for more details, especially the file "firmware.doc." (If your GPSr serial number starts with 133/0133 then use firmware 2.71)

Can anyone direct me to the website I can do this upgrade from. I have been trying to find it all afternoon and only come up with a trade-in offer and a site which has been closed down by some US crime dept.

Before someone suggests buying a new one - I live in a remote area and don't get to geocache very often, perhaps once or twice a year. I might as well use what I have until I move to another location and when that happens I can buy the latest and greatest!

Cheers

Sue

Karratha Western Australia

Edited by Ian&Sue - Team Pathfinder

http://support.magellangps.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view&parentcategoryid=34&pcid=24&nav=0,18,24

let me know if that link didnt work, maybe i can DL it for you or something

I have used my Explorist 500 LE for 5 years up until recently. I did the latest software upgrade , it does give you more screens to play with but nothing that I used for caching at all

cheers

The Stainless Steel Rat