Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pbunyan

Physical Activity Levels

Have any of you used caching to increase activity levels, do you have any advice, data or suggestions?

p B)

Personally, caching does sometimes give me a reason for an extra walk / bike ride or an extension to a planned trip. I have also worked in research into activity levels in UK - Gateshead Millennium Study (children born 1999 / 2000, majority still living in NE England) and MRC (Medical Research Unit) Epidemiology Unit based in Cambridgeshire, eastern England. We have used Actigraph monitors which measure movement only and Actiheart monitors which measure both movement and heart rate. However, all methods have limitations eg some can't cope with water, so have to be removed for swimming and / or water sports eg kayaking, canoeing; monitors are pretty good at picking up forward movement from walking / jogging / running, but not so good at detecting movement caused by cycling or kayaking / canoeing.

A simpler & cheaper device is a pedometer - current UK recommendation for adults is 10,000 steps per day, approx 3 miles.

Additionally, I work for an organisation that owns and maintains 2 large open areas for conservation and public access. I am currently working on analysis of a visitor survey and will include an appendix of geocache finds, as each find represents access to the reserve, and posts sometimes give information about how many people were involved in the find and how they travelled, plus depending on location of cache, it's possible to determine the minimum distance walked / cycled.

I use a fitness device called "Body Media Fit" for weight loss and physical activity goals (they are similar to the Body Bug some people have seen on The Biggest Loser t.v. show). Recently, I participated in a cache machine and while I didn't complete the entire course in one day, as many do, I did have a full 4 hours of non-stop caching (17 cache stops) and was very pleased to notice that for that day, I had blown my total steps taken, total calories burned, and total Mets (a measure of physical activity) out of the water. And I am pretty physically active most days out of the week.

I have no doubt that geocaching is a very effective part of my health and fitness goals. But the best part is that it is fun!

For more info on my BMF device:

Body Media

I haven't measured with a peodmeter or anything, but Geocaching has helped me get into better shape. During the last three monthes my sister and me have walked 100 miles on foot easily, if not more. My sister and me have almost completed walking from Valley Forge to Philadelphia twice. As long as you aren't doing all C&D geocaching can get you into decent shape. Certainly it is a lot more activity than most people get sitting behind their desk at work. It all so gives my a mental work out as well as a physical one. Trying to figure out where people hide their boxes is very stimulating mentally.

Have you ever heard the term "Go Play Outside"?

Geocaching can be a GREAT and FUN way to exercise. Break out the map....look for local hiking trails near you and I'll guarantee there's probably a cache there!! And if there isn't...then you should put one there!!! (Just make sure you are legally able to do so).

Find a rail trail near you and get the bicycles out of the shed..... There's probably a cache on the trail!!

And again...if there isn't....... What are you waiting for?

My husband and I got our bikes out of the shed after 15 years - and we've done several rail trails. We love hiking.... we just bought some kayaks ....

GO PLAY OUTSIDE!!

I have recently been trying to change my sedentary lifestyle, so I purchased a Fitbit ultra to help me get up and moving. It is like a pedometer on steroids. My daily steps increased, but I was having a hard time getting over 8,000 steps (non gym-related steps) in a day. Then, I discovered geocaching, and I'm an addict. On campus before work I am sleuthing out caches, between classes, after work... treasure hunting is definitely my thing. My very first excursion on a hiking path was about 4 miles or so, and I didn't even seem to notice. So, I think geocaching is definitely good motivation to get out and move. I actually have several small pedometers that I have been leaving as treasures in caches.

I went from 8,000 steps max (again, not including time purposely exercising) and now I easily get 13,000 a day before hitting the gym.

I see this is in the college forum and I'm not in college so I hope that's ok...

since I started geocaching I've lost almost 40 lbs!

I look at the map before I set out for the day's caching and try to pick a spot that has a nature trail (look for the green on the map lol) & has at least 3 caches... I'll do a spot that has less - as long as there is a good size hike/ trail walk involved

HTH

hi

welcome to this forum

physical activity level can be maintain in the college by regular exercise and proper diet

Edited by markcase

hi

welcome to this forum

physical activity level can be maintain in the college by regular exercise and proper diet

this forum can solve the problem on your mental problem that will u quote

Edited by markcase

Caching in an urban environment, in the city, I often take a bus or train from area to area, but go around all of the areas on foot because public transportation doesn't operate often enough to be convenient. Usually I can get to the next cache faster by walking to it than waiting for public transportation, so I do so, and I do see an increase in my physical activity from all the walking.

Caching became an essential part of my life and helped me to get rid of sedentary lifestyle. I spent 4 college years sitting in libraries, than I became a writer for https://customwriting.com - the job also demanded a lot of sitting (or laying in bed with a laptop, whatever). And also I have to say it was harder for me to find some more free time when I didn't have extra activities. Now it's been only 2 years but I stick to my schedule and go caching a couple times a week. Have to say I feel much much better now.