Food to Geocache with...

I was wondering... On a long day of Geocaching, what do you bring to snack on?

You know what I'm talking about. When you and a friend or just alone are going for that 10-30 or more caching kind of day, what do you bring? Or do you just reply on the road and local stores?

My answer is a thermos full of homemade coffee latte and altoids....?

Is that strange?

I would never have thought that altoids and coffee latte went together! Whatever floats your boat! :D

I like jerky. You can chew on it for awhile, so it's not like you just down it quickly (because there isn't that much jerky in a bag sometimes).

I don't always carry jerky, but I always carry energy bars, like Power Bars or Clif Bars. If I do a lot of hiking (I haven't gotten that many geocaches yet) then I like to have the energy bars to snack on. If it's a hard hike, then I like the "recovery" Power Bars. They're supposed to do something for muscle repair and I think they might actually work :o

I always have water with me. If I feel like I've done some exertion, then I like Gatorade.

Other favorites for when I've gone out: Licorice, suckers, sunflower seeds, cashews, and cheese & crackers :) Gotta make sure the crackers don't get smashed though :laughing: Cheese & crumbs kinda sucks.

You know what I'm talking about. When you and a friend or just alone are going for that 10-30 or more caching kind of day, what do you bring? Or do you just reply on the road and local stores?

Bolding Mine....

10-30 caches is a couple hour trip for me..... Now for a long day of caching.... we're talking several hundred miles so we pack cookies, water, apples.... and whatever else trips our triggers at fuel stops. :lol:

Is that strange?

Now that you've asked, yes, I think that's strange. Is that all you eat all day?

If it's a day-trip, for me, I bring bananas, apples, bagels with cheese or peanut butter/jam. And LOTS of water.

I know one geocacher in the top 5 on the most found list that subsists on two "foods":

crystal-light.jpg

148.jpg

(because there isn't that much jerky in a bag sometimes)

In a bag? Like pre-made? Yuck. Jerky is easy -- even if you don't have a dehydrator.

London Broil Beef Jerky Recipe

2 lb London Broil

1/2 c Soy sauce

2 tb Worstershire sauce

2 ts Garlic powder

2 ts Onion powder

2 ts Fresly ground black pepper

2 ts Red pepper flakes, less for sissies

2 tb Liquid smoke

Freeze the London Broil or other lean roast. When ready to make jerky, remove the roast from the freezer and let partially thaw. When just able to slice, first remove all fat and then slice against the grain in thin (1/4 inch or less) slices. Cover the meat with the marinade, turn from time to time and let marinade overnight. In the morning line a shallow cookie sheet with a few layers of paper

towels.

Place on lower rack. Place upper rack in oven in top position and lower rack in lower position. Hang the beef slices from the upper rack with tooth picks above the paper towels. 6 hours at 160F average temp is about right.

If your oven is real tight, you might crack open the door a bit to allow the water vapor to escape.

(I don't do the hanging thing -- I just put it on cooling racks placed on cookie sheets. Works the same way. Although now, I use the same recipe in a dehydrator.)

We hike, rarely caching together on C&Ds, so maybe we have more grub around than some.

We usually have a couple types of Access bars on us year-round. They're made with rice instead of wheat gluten like most trail bars and seem easier to digest.

In warmer weather, we'll usually add PopTarts or M&Ms peanuts.

Colder weather, we include dark chocolate, pepperoni and a couple of cheeses to keep the inner fireplace cooking.

I bring out the canister stove for coffee, tea and soup (or ramen noodles) on the longer hikes. Nice to have warm stuff on a cold day at a midway point.

Sometimes we'll include MREs in areas we've never been with extended distances as a just-in-case.

Is that strange?

Whatever fastfood the restaurant has that the cache i'm at lifting the lamp post cover at the parking lot.

Is that strange?

Now that you've asked, yes, I think that's strange. Is that all you eat all day?

If it's a day-trip, for me, I bring bananas, apples, bagels with cheese or peanut butter/jam. And LOTS of water.

I know one geocacher in the top 5 on the most found list that subsists on two "foods":

crystal-light.jpg

148.jpg

crystal light container makes good geocache after its gone.

Food is for wimps!! When I'm walking that is...

..once we are done we get back to the car and make a cup of tea (yeah I'm English!) and a have a picnic ;)

And no doubt some of those wonderful British biscuits that I occasionally indulge in.

You've just got to dunk :D

Mountain Dew, Monster Energy "Rehab" or Hydrive for caffiene. Some form of jerky (usually beef or turkey) for protein. Granola bars for carbs. Water or Gatorade for hydration. If it is going to be a REALLY long day I'll pack a couple of PB&J sandwiches in a cooler. If it is really cold out we'll stop somewhere for hot chocolate. That's about it for me.

We keep a "snack bag" ready to go. Actually the granddaughter, Lil Diva Hunter is now in charge of the snack bag and what is in it after she complained that there wasn't anything good in there. She usually takes Scooby Snacks, Rice Krispy treats, fruit roll-ups, fruit snacks, raisons, Capri Sun drinks and for us old people, we have water and cheese/peanut butter crackers.

Edited to add: She has a snack before and after each cache and during the ride to and from :rolleyes: I think caching to her is a means to get snacks.

Edited by QuiltinNana

Hello all. I originally created this post about a year ago. A few people commented me on my choice of eating while caching on a long day... Coffee Lattes and Altoids. Yeah, I would eat that all day! That was a year ago. I guess I always found those as my 'lucky' foods. You know, the superstition traditions in Geocaching... Well... I have them. Certain items in my pack and certain foods I like to bring.... But, things have changed... granted, I still drink Homemade coffee lattes in a thermos, and Altoids, but and what has changed: If I am going to far off places, I'll make sure to stop by a "local" store and get some localized snacks (if there are any) and trinkets. Oreos and Beef Jerky has made it on the list, too. Also, after a long day, depending on the direction I'm coming from, I'll stop by certain restaurants. For example, If I'm coming back from the East, there's a great Steak House. If I'm coming from the west, there's a great sushi place. Returning from the south, I'd always stop by this taco house. And a few miles north of me is this fantastic Burger joint!

I don't go on these "long" day trips a lot. I may go a few times a year. I would go a lot more, but I don't know how to get around this thing called...work?

So, now that it's been a year, I have the same question again:

What foods do you bring with you on a long Geocaching day?

My answer: During the day, I'll have coffee, Altoids, Oreos, and Beef Jerky.... oh yeah, WATER! But, I now I stop by a restaurant at the end of the day, and eat like a beast....

Your answer: .....?

I've traditionally brought along tuna that comes in a pouch (vs. a can), but I don't particularly like tuna. Recently I found chicken packaged like that - much better. Canned chicken with a pop-off top is ok, but kind of messy and a little heavier in the backpack. I also like Kashi GoLean cereal - I bring a baggie full of that, a pouch of chicken and a lot of water...plenty of protein, low on calories, tastes ok (not as good as a Cliff bar, but better on the calories).

. . . . I use to drink monster drinks but i learned quickly most roads less traveled dont have bathrooms.

On roads "less traveled" who needs a bathroom? If it's good enough for the wildlife, it's good enough for me--learned this in my days of long distance bicycling on those less traveled roads.

. . . . I use to drink monster drinks but i learned quickly most roads less traveled dont have bathrooms.

On roads "less traveled" who needs a bathroom? If it's good enough for the wildlife, it's good enough for me--learned this in my days of long distance bicycling on those less traveled roads.

Good point. Butt I always have bad experiences going in nature I seem to attract worse case scenarios lol

It really depends on location for me -- I'm vegan, so finding food can require a bit of work in unfamiliar cities and I'd always rather avoid wasting precious caching time looking for some, so I always pack food if I'm out of town. Generally I bring water as well as Clif bars, mixed nuts, or dried fruit. If I'm near home or somewhere familiar, I may or may not bother bringing food along depending on the length of the trip and what's available in my cupboards.

My answer: During the day, I'll have coffee, Altoids, Oreos, and Beef Jerky....

OK, but the question was what *food* do you eat? :huh:

Haha! Yeah.... I guess it's not "food".... I guess its more snacky stuff. I usually wait until the end of the route to actually eat with the group that i'm with... but I got to tell you the Coffee and Oreo combination... I can't believe that isn't on the market!!!! Then the Altoids to clear up the palette for a nice bit of the Jerky to just chew on... it's a great combination for me.

Hey, who wants to go on Shark Tank and invent the "perfect" food package for Geocaching... $500,000 for 10% equity...?