Please Help - - RE-naming my maps on Oregon 450

I am in the process of getting to know my newer Garmin Oregon 450 GPS unit, I've finally figured out how to download PocketQuary results and felt that I was done, BUT NO!!!

I am wishing to load a multitude of map-sets from my City Navigator MapSource onto my microSD card on my GPS unit. Though I don't travel out of state too much, I am wishing to load the various states as their own file so that the speed of zooming/moving/scrolling of each map-set is at it's fastest.

i.e. = I live in Washington so I will want to have Washington (or maybe just the Puget Sound region) in it's own file so that I can have it "ENABLED" without other map-sets "enabled" so that loads/zooms at it's fastest. Likewise, I would like to have other states like "Oregon State", "Idaho", and/or "Montana" loaded as their own maps, but "DISABLED" unless I am going to travel into those states.

I thought that I did it correctly by "Sending to Unit" (to my microSD card) each of the various mapsets (one at a time) then renaming each to the "statename.img" but that didn't work. It simply opened (allowed me to view) all of the mapset at one time, not allowing me to "DISABLE" any of the individual State maps from my "maps" "profiles".

Can this be done and if so, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.... Keith in Renton, WA

You could set up different profiles and just enable the maps on the relevant ones?

A bit like me as I've an OS map on 'geocaching' and a routable OSM map on 'automotive'. When I switch between these profiles I get the different maps. You could add profiles named 'Idaho' etc

Although I'm not sure of the benefit of this as you would probably be better loading all the maps.

I think the unit will recognize the files that come from the same product and lump them all together as far as enabling/disabling is concerned. If however you have different products like city navigator and topo west you would then be able to enable or disable those separately.