Oye, my brain hurts

bradwwood

Hi,

I know this topic comes up repeatedly, for that I apologize. I did take a look at the sticky, but it seems to cover comparisons of models I've not really been considering.

My old Garmin finally died on me over the holidays. I'm not at home and I don't recall the model, but it looks exactly like the GPS 72H. I've had it for what seems like about ten years.

I used my old unit to track trips on the motorcycle (not for navigation while riding, just to track the journey). I used it for Geocaching when I was a volunteer for Big Brother / Big Sister. I also used to to track routes in a car while connected to a laptop. I was using MS Streets to track/record the drive (long story as to the "why" of that, and it doesn't really matter)

I haven't used my GPS for much lately, but I am trying to get back into the whole fitness routine again. (15 months no smoking, 40lbs extra weight that came with quitting needs to go). I liked Geocaching and figure that would be a great way to add some interest to my walks. Plus someone gave me a geocoin recently and that sort of rekindled the cache interest.

So, I'm looking at a new handheld. I've always had Garmin (the model noted above, plus a couple car models). I really don't know what model I should go with, and I don't know if I should stick with Garmin or go with something else.

The biggest problem I had with the 72H was it really sucked in high overhead forest environments. I live within walking distance of this cache "Ring of Wonder", and for much of my walks I will be in similar high forest / canyon terrain. I really want a unit that will deal with this environment the best.

It also rains a lot in the PNW, so water resistance at least seems to make sense. I like topographical maps because I'm a map enthusiast, but I don't really *need* topo's. I'm not into hardcore back country trekking anymore.

While it is impossible to suggest a model without taking cost into consideration, I'd like to forget about cost for a moment and really look at the features to figure out what I need.

I think, based on info I've provided, I am looking for:

first and foremost - as accurate as possible for the consumer market (particularly in wooded environments)

water resistance

at least the ability to have topo if not already pre loaded

paperless geocaching ? - sure

camera ? - maybe?

color ? - seems nice

touch screen ? - only if it isn't cumbersome

The models I've been looking at:

Garmin GPSMAP 62stc Handheld Navigator

Garmin eTrex 20 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator

Garmin eTrex 30 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator

Garmin Montana 650t Waterproof Hiking GPS

Garmin Oregon 550T 3-Inch Handheld GPS Navigator

Magellan eXplorist 710 Waterproof Hiking GPS

if you read the reviews on all of these, everyone loves them all and some people hate them all. I'm hoping to get some general feature input from you all here, but most of all any input on receiver quality would be really helpful.

thanks and sorry for such a long post, I just wanted to make sure my expectations and anticipated use was clear.

No point in getting the T models. Your paying extra for the topo maps that come with it and some more internal storage. Save that money and get the regular model and use the wealth of free maps you can find online.

I'd agree with this. If you don't like the free maps you can always buy the topo maps that suit you. But whereas the 62stc will come with 1:100k maps of the whole of the US (assuming you buy the US version), if you're based in Vermont and rarely travel very far you'd probably find the 1:24k maps of the northeast a lot more useful.

I've been through the same exercise recently and here's why I chose mine.

• Garmin GPSMAP 62stc Handheld Navigator (Nice form, but screen size/resolution too small)
  • Garmin eTrex 20 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator (No magnetic compass)
  • Garmin eTrex 30 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator (Screen size/resolution too small)
  • Garmin Montana 650t Waterproof Hiking GPS (Nice, but too bulky and expensive)
  • Garmin Oregon 550T 3-Inch Handheld GPS Navigator (I went for the 450 as I didn't need the camera)

And after using the rocker wheel on a Colorado, the touch screen is a joy to use!

Although as has been mentioned don't bother with the T units.

I just went through a similar exercise and got to field test 3 units, Delorme PN-60, Garmin 450t and Garmin 62s. We went to 10 different geocache hunts and the Delorme PN-60 was the most accurate (brought us closet to the cache 7/10 times). The other 3 times it was not first, it was still very close. The 62s was the second most accurate and the Oregon 450 was the least (not far behind the 62s though). However, even though the Delorme was the most accurate at locating the caches, I wished it had a bigger screen and the software that comes with the Garmin is much more user friendly, especially on a Mac. The Oregon 450t was the easiest to use and I like the screen better on that one too. Sometimes the Delorme would be within 10 or less feet of the Cache and the others would be 20 plus feet away.

I got to play around with the Magellan 710 last week at Bass Pro and loved the maps that came with the unit and screen seemed really nice too. Would love to est that model out too.

Anyhow, hopefully that hopes, none of the above is scientific, just my experience with the units. I actually like all of them and their are pluses/minuses with each unit.

If you can afford the Montana get it. You will never regret it.

Even when you have to carry it across the Grand Canyon? (Weighs 10.2 Oz).

Nobody mentioned the wide availability of free maps for Garmin products. Something to consider before you buy another brand.

Edited by seldom_sn

Nobody mentioned the wide availability of free maps for Garmin products. Something to consider before you buy another brand.

It weighs two ounces more than the Oregon. Two things come to mind.

1. You will balance out after you take your first whiz

2. If two ounces makes a difference you shouldn't be trying the Grand Canyon.

I have hiked 20+ miles with it and never felt I had to shed it because of the weight.

It weighs two ounces more than the Oregon. Two things come to mind.

1. You will balance out after you take your first whiz

2. If two ounces makes a difference you shouldn't be trying the Grand Canyon.

I have hiked 20+ miles with it and never felt I had to shed it because of the weight.

All true, I guess. But an Etrex only weighs 5 oz, and I've met a bunch of folks at the bottom who don't buy a 5 oz souvenir Tee shirt because they don't want the added weight to carry it out.

I went through the same exercise this entire fall too. I stuck with Garmin and really didn't consider other models though. I ended up with the Montana 650 and simply love it - of course I got a great holiday deal and paid less than $450 for it - so that helped. I also ended up with a Dakota 10 through Q-bids and it has good functionality - but I really hate the screen on it and I would probably not recommend it at all nor the Oregon (although I think the Oregon has a little better screen from my comparisons). I have a friend looking too and I know he can't afford the Montana and I am recommending to him the Etrex 20/30 or 62s.... IMO - unless you can afford to get the Montana - the touch features don't justify the poor screen visibility in varying light conditions and the button versions and brighter screens far outweighs the touch screen. If you can afford it - I'd go with the Montana series hands down.